Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isabelle has had some terrible diarrea as of late llat night. What can I give her. I am in the process of making her rice. Can I give her maloxx or mylanta? She is eating & drinking fine & her gums are pink. Ideas Please - Thanks

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
A little of canned pumpkin helps.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Isabelle has had some terrible diarrea as of late llat night. What can I give her. I am in the process of making her rice. Can I give her maloxx or mylanta? She is eating & drinking fine & her gums are pink. Ideas Please - Thanks
Canned pumpkin is good-make sure you don't get pumpkin pie filling, just pumpkin.

I also give my dogs Immodium when necessary-about half of an adult human dosage is what I use for a doberman.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
When I was in a pinch before with tummy problems, my vet ok'd a small amount of pepto. I don't remember how much I gave for the size, I would call and ask a clinic.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, wednesday was the colonoscopy. She isn't on any meds for that. She only takes phenopopoline for dripping. I was at a horse show all day & will be there the entire weekend. So I left my husband in charge of dog. Well, you all know how that works. I had a call into the vet, but missed it. They will be there tomorrow so I am planning on trying to call them then. She is eating & drinking normally. She's even begging for people food. So I don't know what to make of it. I think her stomach is upset from the meds they gave her & the fact that she stresses when she goes to the vet. Thanks for all you help - I so appreciate it :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Yes, wednesday was the colonoscopy. She isn't on any meds for that. She only takes phenopopoline for dripping. I was at a horse show all day & will be there the entire weekend. So I left my husband in charge of dog. Well, you all know how that works. I had a call into the vet, but missed it. They will be there tomorrow so I am planning on trying to call them then. She is eating & drinking normally. She's even begging for people food. So I don't know what to make of it. I think her stomach is upset from the meds they gave her & the fact that she stresses when she goes to the vet. Thanks for all you help - I so appreciate it :)
If she's not on any other meds, it would probably be okay to give her an Immodium. I was told Razzle could be given one 2 mg. tablet every six hours, up to 4 times per day.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
If she's not on any other meds, it would probably be okay to give her an Immodium. I was told Razzle could be given one 2 mg. tablet every six hours, up to 4 times per day.
Good call MD my vet told me that that is fine for dogs,the active ingredient is Loperamide(sp)and does not harm them.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

Thanks for the help - much appreciated. I gave her the immodium om friday and it worked well. She was all good until last night. She woke up twice & needed to go out. Watery again. Cooked her some rice for breakfast & mixed it with dry food. She ate it all up. So, I am waiting for the vet's to open so I can call them. She is still eating & drinking normally. Very weird, but with her nothing suprises me any more.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey had chronic problems since getting him, he is much better now since going on RAW...I used to give him Kayopectate....it really worked. He is now solid finally....and only goes twice a day. I do add a little pumpkin to his ground meal.

Carol

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I disagree with giving immodium or pepto to a dog on other meds. Not that it would cause any reaction with the other meds, but those products "coat" the stomach and can really reduce the effectiveness of medications due to it not being disolved and absorbed in the stomach properly. I would consult your vet first. In the meantime....withold food and see if you can find some pumpkin (fresh or canned in the bakery section) and some natural unflavored yogurt in the health food section.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I disagree with giving immodium or pepto to a dog on other meds. Not that it would cause any reaction with the other meds, but those products "coat" the stomach and can really reduce the effectiveness of medications due to it not being disolved and absorbed in the stomach properly.
That's why I asked if Isabelle was on any other meds, and suggested that if she was, it was best to check with the vet. OTC medications can be useful, but you always have to take the situation with the individual dog into consideration before giving them.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have a call into the vet. Just waiting for her to call me back. Gave her rice this am. She isn't normal but it not watery anymore. Basicly I asked my husband to call the vet on fri & he's an idiot & told me to do it- I was at a horse show all weekend - so When the vet did call back fri afternnon late, I didn't get the call til almost 7. She is still eating & drinking - even begging for food. Since I was showing - I didn't get a chance to call & he's still an idiot. So I called this morning & hope to hear from her soon. She isn't on any other meds. for her colonoscopy.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Get well soon Isabelle. You also might want to get some Fast Track to keep on hand. It works wonders for the runs. It puts the good bacteria back into their GI track. Here is the web site with the best deal:www.mooreagrisales.com
I give it to mine 2 x a week to keep things running great!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hope Isabelle is feeling better soon. Just be on the lookout for any mucus or blood in the stool, could be a sign of campisporidium or another bacteria/parasite.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts