Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Do you mean like Tug of War? Then yes definitley play with your Pup. Only a few things to think about, number one is your Pups teeth, you need to be a little gentle with a puppy then an adult when pulling real hard on the Tug. Number 2 would be that you are able to stop playing the game and your Pup knows when to stop (easier said than done) Just be sure that when you are done playing your Pup understands that and calms down and knows play time is over.

Any other ?'s just shout.

DA

·
Banned
375 Posts
Yes Tug of War is great for your puppy... they get rid of lots of energy that way... it is awesome to do that. and if your puppy does that already great keep it up... help yourself help your baby... get rid of energy :D

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I love tug of war, some pro's don't recommend it though... I feel that it is a natural game all dogs and pups play. DA's right, watch your pup's teeth, and also like he said, YOU MUST BE THE BOSS. When it is over, take the tug (with out a fight) even if you give it back to play with in a few minutes on its own. Just so you are the dominant one who can take the toy at your discresion. (sp??) I LOVE PUPPIES!!!!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lexus said:
I love tug of war, some pro's don't recommend it though... I feel that it is a natural game all dogs and pups play. DA's right, watch your pup's teeth, and also like he said, YOU MUST BE THE BOSS. When it is over, take the tug (with out a fight) even if you give it back to play with in a few minutes on its own. Just so you are the dominant one who can take the toy at your discresion. (sp??) I LOVE PUPPIES!!!!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tug of war is a lot of fun for everyone involved. It's still GKar's favorite game but you are right they have to give it up when the game is over. I almost always give it back thou.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If u yank too hard or get them to riled over it and they dont realize its a game, it can cause aggression problems, just when its done say "Give it" and then give him/her a treat

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Molari said:
Tug of war is a lot of fun for everyone involved. It's still GKar's favorite game but you are right they have to give it up when the game is over. I almost always give it back thou.

Me too! Well they give you that look ya know... :sadcry:

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I used Tug with my girl (as a puppy) as a training tool to work on the release command. She loves to play Tug but when you get them to do a release with it, it makes it even better. They then know when to stop and it keeps the game from getting out of control. The big reward is that if she releases it, she will get it back and the game continues. The puppy class I had her in encourage Tug of War, but called it Tug of Peace, because you train them to release and you keep control of the game.

Have fun and enjoy, because when they get older, they get stronger. Now my girl gives me a run for the money in Tug.

·
Registered
521 Posts
TakirasDad said:
Do you mean like Tug of War? Then yes definitley play with your Pup. Only a few things to think about, number one is your Pups teeth, you need to be a little gentle with a puppy then an adult when pulling real hard on the Tug. Number 2 would be that you are able to stop playing the game and your Pup knows when to stop (easier said than done) Just be sure that when you are done playing your Pup understands that and calms down and knows play time is over.

Any other ?'s just shout.

DA
I agree with alot of reply's that you got on this post. I do agree with TD. If you tug to hard you could shift your puppy's jaw and make it a level bite or over bite or teeth missing. Just when you play be genlte. But when it's over than it's over.

Have fun playing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts