Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my now 1 year old boy name King Juilan was diagnosed with (pano) almost two months after I bought him. I bought King Juilan at 13weeks old. The pain started in his left upper shoulder which was treated with pain meds(rimdaly). Now Juilan is having pain in his Right elbow which started 3 weeks ago. The first vet called it growing pains and said its hereditary the second vet said he can still grow out of the problem due to him being a large dog. I'm confused and becoming worried, becuase one vet wants to x-ray and the other one wants to wait and see. Any suggestions because King Juilan is only a year old and I know he is still growning any ideas on how to processed with treatment.

Thanks Andrea

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
One of my past foster Great Danes had PANO as a pup. He was not suppose to have prolonged exercise or be allowed to play rough. When I got him at 1.5 years old, he had grown out of the PANO and was never lame or sore from too much running or climbing. It's painful for them though, so it's best to work with your vet while your pup out grows it so that it can be managed effectively.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Agreed with Sam...

Make sure you are feeding him correct amounts and food choices. What is he eating and how much do you give? Is he neutered?

Pano is a fairly common occurance in young Dobermans. It is literally growing pains and if that is all it is, he should grow out of it. As the breeder breeds oversized dogs, other potential bone conflictions could also be the culprit. If two vets are going with pano for now, it is probably true. You will just have to wait it out. I don't know of any treatments other than NSAIDS and time.

Good luck with him.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Pano is growing pains not much can be done it is something they will grow out of usually lasts about 3 weeks it is not permanent if two vets think its pano you just have to wait it out.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Panosteitis is growing pains, common in larger breeds. More common in pups that are overweight. If your dog is overweight, cut food intake until he is lean. You should see a definition between the rib cage and the loins of your dog. Seeing a few ribs is also not a bad thing.
I would not bother with X-rays unless they think is it something else/more serious. There is nothing you can do for pano other than wait it out. Can ask the vet about NSAIDS like workingk9s said, and exercise restriction can help.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
So my now 1 year old boy name King Juilan was diagnosed with (pano) almost two months after I bought him. I bought King Juilan at 13weeks old. The pain started in his left upper shoulder which was treated with pain meds(rimdaly). Now Juilan is having pain in his Right elbow which started 3 weeks ago. The first vet called it growing pains and said its hereditary the second vet said he can still grow out of the problem due to him being a large dog. I'm confused and becoming worried, becuase one vet wants to x-ray and the other one wants to wait and see. Any suggestions because King Juilan is only a year old and I know he is still growning any ideas on how to processed with treatment.

Thanks Andrea
Pano is very common, and nothing to freak out about. Dogs do grow out of it, although it can take some time for some dogs. A holistic vet my friend used for her dog with pano suggested a kibble with a single protein source would help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts