Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! We have been searching for a Dobie breeder that is trustworthy, and not some Backyard breeder with a good website! Luckily we ran across this great website! We live in Houston, TX. We will be first time Dobie owners, but my wife and I have allot of "big dog" experience dealing with German Shepherds our whole life. Strangely enough, we both fell for the breed after watching a movie called "Eyes of an Angel". I also volunteer at the local animal shelters regularly and would have constant contact with the Dobermans that are unfortunately there.

What all breeders does this forum recommended that are in Texas, preferably in Houston where we could go visit the breeders? Thanks everyone!

Subin

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Nikki McClendon is in the Houston area.

Contact Us

Reactions: Subsinus

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Hello! I live in Houston also, and I am very involved with German Shepherd rescue so I am always at the shelters temp testing dogs, how funny :)

I purchased my Doberman from Lisa Leuders and Alisa Brotherhood in Magnolia. They run a boarding kennel in Magnolia which is a little over an hour north of houston. Lisa breeds about every 5 years and Alisa is very active in showing and has at least one litter on the ground a year I believe. They do all the proper health testings on their dogs. I got my dobe from them at 5 months(didn't work out as a show prospect) and he was very handsome, bright eyed, nice coat. He has also been a very easy puppy for me, heels nicely and was already desensitized to the dremel. They don't advertise by website, you'll have to contact them by phone or email:

Four Paws Bed N Biscuit - kennel, pets, grooming, boarding, nails, bath, day care, dog, dogs, cat, cats, pet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nikki of Merrimac Dobermans? I've come accross her site before. She does have some nice looking Dobs!

THanks for the recommendation.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Nikki of Merrimac Dobermans? I've come accross her site before. She does have some nice looking Dobs!

THanks for the recommendation.
Yes, and she has a litter coming up.

Reactions: Subsinus

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the contact info! You have to love Houston, maybe not soo much in the summer though! :)

Yes, I was really opposed to "buying" a dog but health concerns are what got me persuaded with this breed, especially regarding the Wobbler disease. I will keep their contact info as well. Won’t be until a year from now, but will give me more time to research and make sure it’s the right (or most correct) decision.

Also, Prime is very handsome Dobe! And has the perfect temperament I would like to have in mine as well.

Subin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Horizon Dobermans are located in Texas - were in Houston, not sure if they are still there or not.

Horizon Dobermans

Excellent breeder.
I just checked on Horizon Dobermans and they are located in Richmond, TX. Just outside of Houston. Getting some good contact info from this forum!

Did you get your doberman from there as well? I am not looking to show my future doberman, just want a sound temperment, with good bone structure, and ofcourse healthy free of the wobbler disease. We would like to train in agility. If for nothing else, but to keep him/her busy and give an outlet for all that energy. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I second Nikki McClendon of Merrimac dobes. This woman is 150% in it for the breed. She's been so amazing with my first dobe - Wyatt. Was there for me every step of the way with him even when we had to make the hard decision to neuter him. Couldnt have asked for a better first time experience!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I second Nikki McClendon of Merrimac dobes. This woman is 150% in it for the breed. She's been so amazing with my first dobe - Wyatt. Was there for me every step of the way with him even when we had to make the hard decision to neuter him. Couldnt have asked for a better first time experience!!!!!!!!!!!
I contacted her when I was looking and she was really nice, but then after my last email she never got back to me..I assumed I said something wrong :(

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Noooo dont assume that. Nikki is awesome- but technologically challenged unfortunately. She is in a never ending battle with her computer LOL..... seriously - it is better to always just call her. She maybe gets on her email once a month if I remember right :)

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Yeah, Nikki is great. I have had many convos with her about the breed and her ways of thinking on health and conformation. She has been a wealth of knowledge for me (in addition to my breeder), and is such a kind woman.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Ack! Well good to know for next time. I was also having phone and email communications with Rhapsody in Austin but that eventually came to a halt too, unfortunately! After that I was checking out the breeder referral list and decided to call Touchstone and that's how I ended up with Prime.

I did have lengthy email conversations with Nikki and I tried my best to explain what I was looking for but I was a noob and maybe it just really came off wrong when I was trying to explain that I was interested in showing but was not able to at this point in my life and could not afford a show pup, but a pet-quality was definitely ok. She could have thought that maybe I couldn't afford to care for a Doberman, I am not sure, or maybe she had better interested people who were more what she was looking for as puppy buyers. Phone calls definitely next time! It's hard sometimes to convey feelings, emotions, and intentions through the internet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I contacted her when I was looking and she was really nice, but then after my last email she never got back to me..I assumed I said something wrong :(

I doubt that is the case. Nikki has a broken finger when returning calls. lol
She likes u to call her. Just a thing....
She is lovely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a contact number for Nikki? I'd love to also give her a call. We recently lost our nine year old black male to cancer and are heartbroken. Our family doesn't feel complete without Gunny and we are looking to get on a waiting list if she has a litter coming in the near future. Thanks!

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Gunny, she has a website. www.merrimacdobermans.com

I think Alisa of Touchstone has a litter planned soon. My bitch was bred by Alisa and I couldn't be happier with her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts