Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Oziris is usually well behaved but i'm having a few problems with him.
First,he found his bark and he is using it a lot,mostly around 11 pm,and we live in an apartment complex with rather thin walls,and i've tried everything to stop him:clapping,saying no,stay ,down,putting a toy in his mouth,taking him for a long walk late at night and nothing works,after 11 pm he always gets so hyperactive and just wants to mouth us and talk back,especially when we go to bed(he sleeps at the foot).The only thing i've found works is pretending you're asleep so he gets that it's bed time and goes to sleep too(but we don't want to pretend forever :roflmao: ).

Now this is the fun part

He steals.He steals virtually everything,he steals things i didn't think he can reach...shoes,blankets,ashtrays,mobile phones,lighters,SOCKS,TOILET PAPER(he's now banned from the bathroom for being a personal paper shredder :p )..takes things out of my bag....he once snatched a loaf of bread from my hands.Every time we teach him not to touch one thing,he gets the next thing he can turn into a toy,and he hoards it all on his blanket.The thing is,he has a bunch of toys and stuffed animals he can play with but it's obviously not that fun if he can't make us search for them.

And the final thing,walks.If me and my boyfriend both go for a walk he will repeatedly stop and sit and we have to call him a few times for him to get going again,otherwise when he's walking with only one of us,everything is fine.

The breeder did note that he was the ringleader of the litter,and that he had the tendency to tease other pups,but when we got him he was so quiet for the first few days,until he got used to us :D I might have added to that by spoiling him a little bit :(

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Im sorry to say but most of these things are your fault lol. Don't put laundry and loads of bread where he can reach them. Keep shoes in closets. You have to puppy proof your home so he cannot get into trouble. It has nothing to do with him being the 'ring leader' of the litter.

3 months is very young to walk nicely on a leash. My boy pancaked to the ground at that age. It took a lot of patience and bribery. We didn't leave the driveway until about 16 weeks old! We didn't push him and ended our 'walks' on a positive note. One thing you can do is attach the leash to his collar and let him drag it around the house so he gets used to it. When you do take him outside, if he sits, go to the end of the leash, call him over (happily!) and treat him when he comes. Take two steps. Encourage him to walk to meet you. Treat and repeat. I know it's frustrating but pups were not born knowing how to walk on a leash.

No advice on the barking as our boy is not a barker.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Pictures are required, you know. :)

You have a very busy puppy from a working breed of dog. Everything you described is pretty much normal behavior for a puppy that does not yet have a good schedule in place. He needs lots of mental stimulation, plenty of play, and daily training - many short sessions of 2-5 minutes. Do you have a crate or X pen to confine him? That is an important piece of training, to teach him to be comfortable and happy in confinement. It must be balanced with plenty of fun exercise appropriate for his baby puppy stage.

There are tons of threads on this forum with Great suggestions for training and exercising a young puppy. Read up and get to work on consistently providing your pup with training, exercise, and a healthy schedule.

Evenings with a puppy can be difficult when you are in an apartment with close neighbors but many short sessions of vigorous play in the evening, along with leash walks outside, should help out a lot. Unfortunately, many people who get a puppy want to flop in the evening after they have worked all day. They forget that the puppy has been bored all day while they are at work and he's up for many hours of fun, not sleep!

I also have a focused Doberman Thief named Boon who is now getting close to three years of age. He has a ridiculous number of toys, chew items, and interactive games to keep him happy. He doesn't sleep much at all during the daytime and requires lots of interaction; he's a very busy guy. I can sympathize with the description of your puppy but this personality is so much fun if you just teach them to direct their energy in a positive way. Here are some great resources online for you to start training with your puppy.

https://www.pinterest.com/triciakoontz/training-with-positive-reinforcement/

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
We sort of go against conventional puppy wisdom some.
- never ever puppy proof the house / place left natural, for early training purposes...can't fix temptation without exposing it (earlier the better)
- don't leash walk much, first few months / let pup drag leash on grass, for a few weeks (first)
- we allow our pup to carry a sock, from the laundry dryer / helping Mom...starting at 10 weeks young
- we give our pup a ladies nylon socky, with a pro tennis ball shoved inside & tie a knot in the open end / becomes a favorite & cheap toy
Our pups, quickly learn that worn out socks are there's / ones without holes, are ours.

We encourage our pup, to retrieve Mom's slippers, when she comes come from work.
- they become big teasers, and we look forward to it...because pup was trained to not hurt the adult stuff

After reading this thread, I looked around for evidence when we got home from MI today.
- the ladies leather shoe was positioned by Kelly earlier, to entice mom off the computer...she doesn't destroy anything, but loves to bait us...:p

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I crate trained my girl as soon as she came to me as a baby, starting on day one. When loose in the house I ALWAYS had eyes on her, so as to replace potential bad behavior with good, and used tons of calm positive reinforment. I also used a tether, which helped so much with housebreaking. She was in her crate many times during the day and quickly learned to settle and nap. That way I could do things around the house, or out in the yard, without worrying what she'd get into. I also used good rubber chews toys or twisted-up lengths of towel for her to chew on - she's about 1 1/2 yrs old now and has NEVER destroyed anything in the house.
At the beginning it's full time job requiring lots of patience, but boy, it pays off.
I don't think it's ever to late to crate train - you just need to not give in as they cry, whine, throw a fit - they WILL get over it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey guys,thanks for the replies,well...about the bread,i was making a sandwich and i didn't notice him sneaking up on me(it was a slice not a loaf i put the wrong word in) :).I do some training with him throughout the day for 3 or 4 times for about 10 minutes ,and so far he has learned to : sit,lay down,high five,wait and spin(and thanks god he responds to "drop it" cause he eats like a goat)I'm an art student so my schedule is flexible and he is alone for a few hours tops.

I would crate train him but crates are a little hard on my budget for now,but he doesn't seem to mind spending time alone(i even put my mom on skype a few times to see if he is too anxious),cause when he's alone he will zoom around,play with his toys or chew on the things i left for him to chew on(he has a giant beef bone he loves gnawing ),and then he wears himself out and naps for a while,at which time i mostly come home,take him for a walk and play with him.

He walks fine on the leash if there is just one of us around,and he walks even better without it since we live across the dog park and i let him run around,but i have to leash him sometimes on walks cause we're in a highly populated area and there's always cars moving and such.I always started the leash right away with all my puppies because they are so inquisitive,and i'm worried they might eat something off the ground if i don't keep them close(we've had reports of rat poison over the years).So far so good :)

The only problem is when he takes naps while im cooking or working on a paper,he goes crazy when it's our bedtime :p

Also,he does get up at night sometimes to drink water or pee on the pee pads but i was thinking of getting a larger litter box for when i'm out or sleeping to prevent accidents.

Oh and picture :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
someone needs some impulse control!!!! Barking, stealing, don't wanna/don't haveta moments, all of these are due to having no impulse control. Don't worry, it CAN be taught :)

I strongly recommend Susan Garrett's recallers course, it has many many tools for teaching impulse control ( https://www.brilliantrecalls.com/re...578151a9269a4ee37b90e8085c0789d22488296af8cd9 - there will be free passes to the intro part of the course issued soon)
Denise Fenzi Dog Sports Academy is another great resource

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several concerning things here. First, you need to puppy proof the house just like you would do for a toddler. Ashtrays…lighters? Not good :-( Also, crates are not that expensive. If you could afford the dog, you can surely afford a crate. So maybe it's not the best one on the market, but I wouldn't even get a puppy if I couldn't afford the crate. They go hand in hand. He needs to be crated and trained. I can't imagine a 3 month old doberman (or any puppy for that matter) having run of the house all day even when you're not home. I've honestly NEVER heard that before. And are you planning on always having him use pee pee pads?? I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful in any way, but I'm not so sure a Doberman was best suited for your current living environment.

He is very cute though. Best of luck!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Have you looked on Craigslist on Facebook (Local garage sale pages) for a crate? I see them locally by me all the time for good prices, just make sure you get the appropiate size.

I would definitely not use pee pads or attempt litter training for my Doberman pup, no, no no. My boy just let me know by whining when he had to go out and I would just take him in the backyard.

Remember any habits a dog does now when they are small they will do when they are large and most of those people stop liking once the dog is large.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
It sounds like he is bored or has energy that needs working off. You could teach him the "find it" game where you hide a toy or treat, in sight at first, then release him as you say find it. You might need to prime him with the toy making him want it. My boy is proud when he finds his toy and runs around with it a while. Once he catches on, gradually make the toy(I vary toys and show Parker which toy first) harder to find. Don't make him search so long he gives up as that would take the fun out of it. Make the searches age appropriate. I put Parker in his crate and cover it so he can't see me, but your partner could hold him. I have to make fake trips around the house and you will too eventually. It's a fun game.

Here is an article on teaching the "quiet" command using a clicker or words as a marker. The marker tells the puppy he has done something good and will be getting a treat. This is positive dog training.

How to stop dog barking? Teach your dog the "Quiet" command.

Is there any way you could study earlier and then have an hours play and training session, tiring your boy, before bed. Or your partner could be doing something with him so he's not just resting waiting on you to finish so you can play with him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts