Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have my newest dobie who is 6 months old. He came cropped and docked from the breeder. We got him at 3 1/2 months. Great breeder who is legit and has great refrences. Now here is my issue. He is our 3rd dobie and I have taped ears for all. But his right ear had 2 cuts on it when we got him and taping is making them infected. We have not taped for almost a month now to allow them to fully heal. Before that we would tape then clean every week with alcohol and when we tape him we put neosporin on a gause and cover his cuts to keep them clean. About a month ago they got really infected and we just had to let them air out and heal. Now I have one ear that stands great and one floppy. Any help if you have delt with this before? His ear has been taped now for about 3 days and seems to be holding up. I just dont want to keep going backwards in the process. The cuts are on the very tip of his ear and the middle edge about 2 inches from the top. Can I do breathe right strips yet you think? Right before his big infection it was almost standing...Very sad to go all the way back!
All help and advice is VERY welcomed!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
WHen you tape up the 'cut', ear just Leave the cut area untaped, like a gap in the taping. Or place cotton over the cut area so the tape does not stick to the tissue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please post photos so we know what you are really trying to describe. :)
I will take pictures tonight then will tape them around the cuts. He scratched himself I guess after the crop and with it being taped it never healed. We put cotton on it and it didnt help. I hope with pictures you'll understand a bit more.
Thanks!! I really appriciate it!:)

·
Banned
80 Posts
I had the same problem with my doberman. One of his ears used to bleed and it was alittle infected also. Keep on taping them about every 5 days.and keep them off 1 day for airing out and breathing.if u can try to avoid that area with tape. Also keep on cleaning them with neosporin and alcohol everytime u change the tape . Use googone to remove the tape.and dont pull the tape off insted hold his ear and gently remove the tape and i used to have my wife hold his head and i would cut inbetween his ears and tape with scissors. As this was much easier to get the tape off . Please becarfull.. The infections willlll healllllllll . Good luck ...he will be fineeeee .. Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts