Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am starting my search for a little girl Dobe to complete our family.

I have contacted several breeders and a couple have kindly replied (very quickly might I add) to my questions regarding health testing. Obviously I asked if they tested for DCM and the reply from one was no and neither do they test for Wobblers. They do however test for hip score and vWD.

The other sounded a little more switched on, but I am afraid I am floundering when it came to her answers, (doh, am I stupid or what). Anyhow I thought it best to ask you guys what you think of the answer I got. The breeder is planning to breed with a bitch that was tested as being normal for Triponin 1. The breeder explained the test showed up via the blood if there was any damage to the heart and that whilst one of the grandparents has been tested for DCM and passed at present she doesnt test for DCM but plans to in the future when the bitch is at least 4 years old, she went on to say that the test really is only valid on the day it is taken. The longetivity in the line is 12 years for one set of grandparents, 10 for the others (they are still alive) this sounds pretty good. Both sets of parents are alive and well too.
It appears that it is going to be very hard to find a breeder who tests for a good majority of the problems our Dobe babies can suffer from, so which tests should I be concentrating on.
:thanx:

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
FYI-there is no screening test for wobblers used prior to breeding. The testing available only confirms the diagnosis in symptomatic dogs-it's very expensive and in one case very dangerous-not something I'd do on a dog that didn't have clinical signs of wobblers.

Sounds like the one breeder did the pro-bnp cardiac blood test. I gather recent studies have shown that's an effective screening tool for early diagnosis of DCM. You can read about triponin-1 on the Cardiopet website, they're the ones offering the bnp test, with triponon 1 as an add on to the bnp test.

There really aren't that many predictive tests for any of the disorders that affect our dogs. Most of the testing we do has to be done on an ongoing basis. A passing test result one year doesn't guarantee anything about the future.

A lot of the testing I might be willing to compromise on might not be a good idea for someone on another continent, based on what diseases are common within the particular genepool. Eye testing would be a good example-the eye diseases most commonly known to affect dobermans (PHTVL/PHPV) is virtually only seen in european dogs. Since I stay strictly with American lines, I wouldn't worry about it if the parents of a litter weren't CERF tested. Someone buying a european dog should probably be more concerned about this test being done.

It's a hard one to call. Just keep in mind that with hips, hearts, etc. you need to find out as much as possible about all close relatives, not just the breeding pair. A dog who passed hip testing who has dysplastic relatives would concern me, I'd probably stay far away.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
It's a hard one to call. Just keep in mind that with hips, hearts, etc. you need to find out as much as possible about all close relatives, not just the breeding pair. A dog who passed hip testing who has dysplastic relatives would concern me, I'd probably stay far away.
yes!! This is a good point. I look at the pedigree vertically and horizontally. I want a fully tested pedigree, not just the parents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts