Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a patient's house today and her brother starts talking to me about dogs. He goes on and on about how much his dog loves tripe and if I have ever given it to Chevy. I never have and had honestly never really known what it was. He told me it is so good for dogs and everything. Anyone ever given it to their dogs or know if it is good for them? I would just do an internet search but you never know what you can and cant believe on random internet searches.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Callie gets green tripe in a kong as a treat :)

Reactions: cuddlbug00

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have given my dogs canned tripe (Solid Gold brand). They are crazy for it; I thought it smelled awful. If your dog is off his food or you need to give your dog medication, it may be a good way to get your dog to eat. Many dogs can't resist.

I also buy dried tripe for treats - which they love. But you have to be careful with the amount of dried tripe they eat because it has caused loose stools and even diarrhea in my dogs.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Tripe is part of the stomach and contains natural probiotics. It's really gross and smelly stuff, but of course the grosser it is the more the dogs love it. I've given canned tripe from Tripett before. You can also get it raw which would be my preference.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I don't know if you guys have tripe in your supermarkets (for human consumption) but this type is pretty naff when it comes to what is best for dogs, dont get me wrong they love it just the same but green is better for our fur babies. when you cook it up it smells vile. I do know some folk who feed it raw, but I am kind of squeamish about doing so.
Unfortunately here in Spain it is considered a delicacy (for humans) so it is nigh on impossible to get it unwashed, (they actually bleach it) so Toby rarely gets it, if ever.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I feed fresh-frozen green tripe often. Dogs love it, and it is fairly inexpensive. I have found that the fresh tripe while still stinky is not nearly as stinky as what you get in the supermarket or canned.

I order it from My Pet Carnivore

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is where I got ours:

Ground Green Beef Tripe-2 LB. | My Pet Carnivore

And they aren't kidding- it smells god awful. Just so gross! but the nubbin' don't lie- she goes berserk for this stuff!

ETA: Avian, we must have been tying at the same time :) love that site! I get all my raw goodies from there

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Loads of people feed tripe to their dogs. It's great for the digestive tract and good for their skin and coat also. We sell it raw/frozen where I work and we also have the Tripett cans. I personally have only fed it twice ever though. It's good for them for sure, but I can't stand the smell of it. Even after it's all eaten I can't get the smell out of my nose, lol. So, no tripe for my guys except for every once in a blue moon.

Reactions: cuddlbug00

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely the worst smelling stuff I've ever given my dogs. I can't imagine a human eating it when there are so many other choices for food consumption. I don't get "fashionable" food. I'd just feel sorry for the person who has to kiss the one who eats tripe.
I don't think tripe is "fashionable" food as much as ethnic food. Being in southern CA with a large Mexican/Central American population, tripe is available in a lot of the markets. As TM said, it's washed and bleached, doesn't look at all like the canned stuff made for dogs.

Menudo (a soup made with tripe) is HUGE as a cure for hangovers in this area, too, offered freshly made on weekend mornings in Mexican restaurants/taquerias, etc.

I've tasted menudo, and I'm not a fan. I sure wouldn't eat tripe any other way-I imagine the texture alone would freak me out. But lots of people eat it from different cultures-it's really no different than eating liver, kidney or whatever.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely the worst smelling stuff I've ever given my dogs. I can't imagine a human eating it when there are so many other choices for food consumption. I don't get "fashionable" food. I'd just feel sorry for the person who has to kiss the one who eats tripe.
It's actually really nice. Chewy with a slight, light crunch almost. It soaks up flavor like a sponge and doesn't smell awful at all! Tripa tacos are awesome and it's also prevalent in various asian cuisines (korean, chinese). It's white and cut up.

Then again, I prefer organ meats anyways, so I may just be on the weird side.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Sam and Mack eat green tripe several times per week. I wouldn't consider feeding them the white, grocery store tripe as it provides very little nutrition value due to the scalding/bleaching process.

I feed green tripe in its natural state. Meaning it's not altered once removed from the animal carcass. Butchers and local farmers are a great source for green tripe.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info and experience everyone! I will definitely try it, but will get the green tripe. Thanks for the link to the pet carnivore site. It looks like it has a lot of raw products too. Maybe I'll try a few other treats for Chevy as well.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Tripe is small intestine (NOT the large intestine, which is where poop is created!)- when it is "green", it is natural - it has all the wonderful stuff in it that the animal had been digesting when it was killed - usually this consists of grasses, weeds, grains and other green foods. In the wild, this is one of the first things a wild omnivore will eat, because it is already partially digested and masticated (chewed and ground up and broken down), which makes it easier for an non-herbivore to derive nutrients from.

Dogs aren't carnivores, they are omnivores, so the vegetable matter in tripe is very appealing to them. Now, for humans, tripe is totally washed out and thoroughly rinsed... and it is used for many things - as was said, menudo and tacos - but also, it was the original casing (after being carefully scraped thin) for sausages and such (and the original frankfurters).

Not all butchers want to carry tripe, as it, like certain old-fashioned organ meats which are no longer sold in most places (spleen, lung, brain...) can be gross, and can be a health hazard if not properly used. But in ethnic areas, these can still be found. My grandmother made an ancient dish called "miltz", which was a spleen with the contents scraped out, mixed with mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, s&p and put back in and baked for a long while. It was DEEElishus - the very first time DH came to dinner with me to my grandparents', I had asked for miltz, because I was so proud of how great it was - he took one bite, heard what it was, and turned green and grey. LOL - 36 years later, and he still can't forget! PANSY!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I don't think tripe is "fashionable" food as much as ethnic food. Being in southern CA with a large Mexican/Central American population, tripe is available in a lot of the markets. As TM said, it's washed and bleached, doesn't look at all like the canned stuff made for dogs.

Menudo (a soup made with tripe) is HUGE as a cure for hangovers in this area, too, offered freshly made on weekend mornings in Mexican restaurants/taquerias, etc.

I've tasted menudo, and I'm not a fan. I sure wouldn't eat tripe any other way-I imagine the texture alone would freak me out. But lots of people eat it from different cultures-it's really no different than eating liver, kidney or whatever.

Ive never heard of people eating it, and there is a huge Mexican population in Houston, I'm part Mexican myself. Now I feel sheltered! Learn something new everyday.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts