Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't trim Dreizehn's but they got trimmed for his short showing career. I hated it, tbh, because as they were growing they were even more "pokey and annoying." However, if you're keeping up with the trimming then I imagine that wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I feel like they are supposed to be useful in some manner that I am not aware of...Zac has his and I dont plan on trimming them..I did once because someone told me that he would bite my hand off if I did (which he didnt...go figure? my scary doberdude).

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
My Dobes are all kept in show trim no matter their age or showing status because that is the way I like them. I think they all enjoy getting a trim.... doing nails is a whole nuther dealie! I've never noticed any issue with not having whiskers.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Dobes are all kept in show trim no matter their age or showing status because that is the way I like them. I think they all enjoy getting a trim.... doing nails is a whole nuther dealie! I've never noticed any issue with not having whiskers.
Really off topic but I wanted to say I absolutely love Harvard. When I think Doberman I seriously think of him when I'm not thinking of Juno, lol.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
I clip them weekly. THe purpose they supposedly serve goes back to when they were in the wild, at night, with no light, it prevented them from getting to close to things they shouldn't, or bumping into things, or so I have read. Anyways, I clip them when I do her nails, they just look ridiculous when they get that long.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have a small clipper and I just zip those bad boys off any time they get scratchy. I don't want to cuddle with my husband when he has too much stubble and the same goes for the pup. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Sorry, a little opff topic, but does anyone have any written information about show trims? :) I'd never thought about trimming his whiskers and havnt noticed anyoine else do it, but I'm a massive novice to showing so would love something to read about.

·
Registered
793 Posts
not sure on any written info Amelia but I have seen shaved whiskers, ears, flank, nose putty (not sure if its called that but it looked like putty) and even eyeliner used. the whisker trim in my opinion is a must, nothing worst than looking like a little old lady in the show ring with long whiskers hanging all over the place. Not pretty. lol.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
not sure on any written info Amelia but I have seen shaved whiskers, ears, flank, nose putty (not sure if its called that but it looked like putty) and even eyeliner used. the whisker trim in my opinion is a must, nothing worst than looking like a little old lady in the show ring with long whiskers hanging all over the place. Not pretty. lol.
EYELINER??? :roflmao: Hah, my bf would kill me if I tried to put eyeliner on the dog. On a serious note, I was under the impression that you could not use anything to enhance the natural colour of the dog (eg chalks ect). In Crufts (biggest UK dog show), they can take hair clippings to be sent for testing if they believe you've added something. Is it different in the US?

I also read an article from the UK kennel club which adviced against the plucking/shaving of dog whiskers appart from on 'clean faced dogs', I didnt know what that ment? :confused: My guess would be dogs which have hairless faces?

·
Registered
64 Posts
We don't trim the whiskers, as they are really short. I don't know why but Mistys whiskers never grow beyond 3 centimeters...:confused: She has whiskers of a mouse.

And apart from this forum I have never heard of trimming the whiskers, even show people here don't do it (at least in dobermans). :)

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
We don't trim the whiskers, as they are really short. I don't know why but Mistys whiskers never grow beyond 3 centimeters...:confused: She has whiskers of a mouse.

And apart from this forum I have never heard of trimming the whiskers, even show people here don't do it (at least in dobermans). :)
Where do you live DoraB? I've been showing Dobes since 1960 and have really never seen any in the show ring whose whiskers weren't trimmed. I've shown dogs on the west coast from Canada to Mexico and have been to shows in a variety of other places.

So saying that I promise all my dogs the same thing--when you are out of the show ring I'll never trim your whiskers again. They do serve a purpose--it has to do, as someone else said, with identifying their own edges in low light situations. Probably not at all necessary for the average house dog but all of my dogs really disliked having their whiskers shaved or trimmed for the show ring.

For Amelia Murray: there is a pretty comprehensive thread on DT somewhere about trimming Dobes for show. The short version is that you trim the hair inside the ears, on the ear edge, all whiskers, the flanks, end of the tail and hair that sticks out along the neck. Trim anything that sticks out beyond the dogs profile. Trim or grind the nails short (that should be done all the time anyway) make sure the teeth are clean (you should hear what judges say about dogs who have dirty teeth)

Also in answer to the question about using things like eyeliner etc on dogs--the AKC has the same regs that the UK Kennel Club has--no foreign substances--but if you think that keeps people from doing it, think again.

A clean faced dog is a dog who has short hair on the face--so you would normally trim whiskers on a Dobe, a Boxer (although my friends the Boxer breeders tell me they usually pluck the whiskers and eventually they stop growing), Danes, Australian Shepherds (who have short hair on the face but are coated elsewhere and many other breeds.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Where do you live DoraB? I've been showing Dobes since 1960 and have really never seen any in the show ring whose whiskers weren't trimmed. I've shown dogs on the west coast from Canada to Mexico and have been to shows in a variety of other places.

So saying that I promise all my dogs the same thing--when you are out of the show ring I'll never trim your whiskers again. They do serve a purpose--it has to do, as someone else said, with identifying their own edges in low light situations. Probably not at all necessary for the average house dog but all of my dogs really disliked having their whiskers shaved or trimmed for the show ring.

For Amelia Murray: there is a pretty comprehensive thread on DT somewhere about trimming Dobes for show. The short version is that you trim the hair inside the ears, on the ear edge, all whiskers, the flanks, end of the tail and hair that sticks out along the neck. Trim anything that sticks out beyond the dogs profile. Trim or grind the nails short (that should be done all the time anyway) make sure the teeth are clean (you should hear what judges say about dogs who have dirty teeth)

Also in answer to the question about using things like eyeliner etc on dogs--the AKC has the same regs that the UK Kennel Club has--no foreign substances--but if you think that keeps people from doing it, think again.

A clean faced dog is a dog who has short hair on the face--so you would normally trim whiskers on a Dobe, a Boxer (although my friends the Boxer breeders tell me they usually pluck the whiskers and eventually they stop growing), Danes, Australian Shepherds (who have short hair on the face but are coated elsewhere and many other breeds.
Thank you for such a detailed explanation! Isnt plucking the whiskers painful for the dog, I thought they were attatched to nerves? Rupert once had an ingrown whisker which I plucked out and he did not enjoy it, to say the least!

My boy has very thin, short whiskers anyway so I think i'll leave them how they are, but maybe trim some of the longer ones.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts

Same here. The only time my dogs are trimmed after they're done showing is for a scheduled photo session.

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
I never trim whiskers, they serve a purpose and I don't think they should be trimmed.

from West Lynn vet clinic website:
Q: Why do dogs have whiskers?
A: Whiskers are found on many fur-bearing animals. They are most obvious on either side of the dog's snout, but whiskers also grow above his eyebrows, on his chin, and even on the upper lip, like a mustache. The purpose of the dog's whiskers is to help the dog comprehend his surroundings. They serve as delicate sense organs and help the dog pick up on vibrations carried on air currents.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts