Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
excelsior
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting my guys on Trifexis since I can no longer get Interceptor (thanks Novartis...). Anyone use/used it? I'm concerned about all the reports of vomiting I've read....anyone experience that after administering it? Besides the vomiting itself being a concern, it says you must administer another pill if they start throwing up.....I'm not sure I can afford double-dosing my dogs in that case. Any comments about Trifexis would be helpful - thanks!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
My friend's BC started having a lot of seizures after she switched to Trifexis, she ended up having to euthanize him. Could just be a coincidence though, I don't know. The vets I've seen so far have all been pushing it hardcore. They all say its perfectly fine. I'd rather give it a few more years before im comfortable with trying it, but that's just me. I have mine on iverhart plus now.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
My girls have been taking it for quite some time now and no adverse effects at all, they do fine on it.

Reactions: shiloh

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Liberty vomited the first time I gave it to her at the same time as her food. Since then, I've given it to her 45min-1hr after eating, and she's been fine. Nietzsche has had no issues.

I prefer oral flea preventative (particularly in the summer) because my dogs get wet ALL the time. I don't know if I could keep them dry long enough to be sure that the topical stuff is completely effective. I was giving Comfortis and oral heartworm meds prior to Trifexis, and I haven't really had issues with either.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Trifexis and comfortis are the same medication(minus HW and parasite prevention in comfortis) so it would make sense that dogs would vomit when given Trifexis on an empty stomach because that's the same side effect of comfortis.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My friend's BC started having a lot of seizures after she switched to Trifexis, she ended up having to euthanize him. Could just be a coincidence though, I don't know. The vets I've seen so far have all been pushing it hardcore. They all say its perfectly fine. I'd rather give it a few more years before im comfortable with trying it, but that's just me. I have mine on iverhart plus now.
Trifexis is not recommended for Collie/herding breeds due to the MDR1 gene. Actually, I've been told that all standard HW drugs are on the MDR1 list...not just those containing ivermectin.

Though I do know quite a few BC people that have never had a problem with any of the hw drugs.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Trifexis is not recommended for Collie/breeds breeds due to the MDR1 gene. Actually, I've been told that all standard HW drugs are on the MDR1 list...not just those containing ivermectin.

Though I do know quite a few BC people that have never had a problem with any of the hw drugs.
I don't think my friend was aware of that before she used it :(

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I've used Trifexis on all my dogs (except the Shep x) since it first came out. None have ever vomited or displayed any other problem. I do give it with food. Like Zephyr said, my dogs are always in water so it seems to be more effective for us. Don't like the lack of tick protection though!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I don't think my friend was aware of that before she used it :(
Very sad. It's a shame her vet didn't warn her. Or maybe it hasn't been a problem for that vet. Like I said, I know several BC people that use a variety of HW drugs with no problem. It's always the handful of people that have a horrific ordeal that reminds me of MDR1.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Reactions: ZeldaRules

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
That's awesome, going to send that to my friend now.
GSD's are known to have the mutation as well. I sent Chloe's test off almost a week ago just to be safe.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
How old was the BC? BCs are known for epilepsy issues also. Sorry to hear about your friend's loss. Idiopathic epilepsy often shows up from 3-5.

And I'm with you. I'm not comfortable enough to switch yet either.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My vet kept pushing it, but I already have them on K9 Advantix so I declined. It protects against fleas and ticks and when I'm in NC it's important to protect against ticks since my family lives in the woods. Plus, we are getting ready to move up there for a while, so I really want that tick protection. They play in the water all the time and get wet and I've never had a problem, if I bathe them I just make sure I wait a few days before or after applying it and I use a soap/detergent free shampoo.

I doubt I will ever use Trifexis... I just don't feel that comfortable with it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Xena is 5 months old, have used it for the last 2 months with no issue, she is due for another round next week :)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
How old was the BC? BCs are known for epilepsy issues also. Sorry to hear about your friend's loss. Idiopathic epilepsy often shows up from 3-5.

And I'm with you. I'm not comfortable enough to switch yet either.
Under a year. She got him from a couple that couldn't deal with a BC puppy. She has a BC/aussie mix that is a frisbee dog so she knew what she was getting into, but unfortunately he had a very short life...he was most likely from a BYB.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
I'm not entirely comfortable with it, either, though my vet is also recommending it as in Interceptor replacement. Since I need tick protection, I still have to do Frontline Plus, so I decided to go with Iverhart Max for now. I'd rather have Interceptor, but it seems unlikely it'll be available for a long time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts