Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night we went to bed around midnight. He always sleeps in my room / bed. Well he woke me up around 2:30 and he was panting really heavily and was really hot. He just wanted to go outside and pee for a second but it was really weird. He's almost 2 and has never done that. Is it possible he just had a really weird dream or is it something I should be concerned about? :thanx:

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Could have needed to potty pretty bad or could have been more? Sometimes they present this way with bloat. << other signs of bloat are: heaving/ attempting to vomit with no production, licking the air, gagging, trying to belch, pacing and panting, unable or unwilling to lay down, pale and/or tacky gums>>

Reactions: Treythedobie

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I'd go ahead and get him screened for DCM, if your vet rules out bloat or severe pain, etc.

Sorry, just seen too many young Dobermans present with congestive heart failure to ever blow off anything--although hopefully he just had to pee badly and was worried about getting outside in time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hes not in severe pain, I know my dog well enough to know when he is in pain and this wasn't it.

I was actually thinking about getting him tested for DCM but hes only about 20 months now and I thought 2 years was when most started DCM testing. It was the first time it happened and he calmed down pretty quickly after we went back to bed but he didn't really have to pee that bad because he went not long before bed and he didn't go very long.

Yesterday I did see him heave twice but I thought it was just a hairball or something caught in his throat. Is there a test they can run for bloat?

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Hes not in severe pain, I know my dog well enough to know when he is in pain and this wasn't it.

I was actually thinking about getting him tested for DCM but hes only about 20 months now and I thought 2 years was when most started DCM testing. It was the first time it happened and he calmed down pretty quickly after we went back to bed but he didn't really have to pee that bad because he went not long before bed and he didn't go very long.

Yesterday I did see him heave twice but I thought it was just a hairball or something caught in his throat. Is there a test they can run for bloat?
If your dog had bloat you'd know by now. It kills them fairly fast. They are throwing up, or trying to throw up, pacing, panting, pale gums, distended stomach....
Extreme distress or discomfort.....or lethargy and just lying there.

If you see signs like that. VET asap. for surgery to untwist the stomach. Then they'll probably sew the stomach to their sides to try and prevent future twisting.....though that doesn't always work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your dog had bloat you'd know by now. It kills them fairly fast. They are throwing up, or trying to throw up, pacing, panting, pale gums, distended stomach....
Extreme distress or discomfort.....or lethargy and just lying there.

If you see signs like that. VET asap. for surgery to untwist the stomach. Then they'll probably sew the stomach to their sides to try and prevent future twisting.....though that doesn't always work.
That makes me feel better. He was fine all day yesterday and today, just that one weird bout in the middle of the night. Maybe it was a dream. I am planing on doing a full round of DCM testing once he is 2 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts