Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some pig ear and beef hide bones that I got for my pup...anyone who's familiar with my posts would know about my bouts with her diarrhea from letting her sample some peanut butter, cheese and another dog treat that I took her off of...

Anyways, I've switched her food over and she's been having good, consistent, solid poops again.

I want to give her some higher quality treats! Currently I train her with the dry food....I'm wondering though, is it going to be a hit and miss situation much the same as her food/cheese/peanut butter? Or is there a time when their stomachs can start handing more then just regular dry food? If I can, I really want to avoid another night of a puppy with the runs but I want her to enjoy some of the finer things in life.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
I don't feed pig ears or rawhide, so I would stay away from both.

Are you looking for training treat suggestions, or chews, or both? As far as training treats go, Shanoa had a sensitive stomach as a pup so it was challenging to find things she could have that were still extra tasty. I chopped up string cheese into very tiny pieces and she did well with that. I also had good success with the Natural Balance rolls that were limited ingredient (I think it's duck and potato that is the limited ingredient roll). We found freeze dried green tripe, and that worked great. Tripe in general is pretty easy on the stomach in my experience. We also did freeze dried raw treats, like freeze dried salmon. She also likes and tolerated dried banana chips and dried sweet potato. We don't give peanut butter, as it wasn't great with her stomach (and still isn't). I also would buy small bags of a different kibble (something like EVO), and would use it just for training. For her, that was a treat, because it wasn't her usual food.

For chews, I use raw knuckle bones from the butcher. Bully sticks work well for us. I also like the Himalayan Dog chew and it has not upset her stomach.

With anything new, I always try it in a very small amount first, then gradually introduce more, to see how my dogs will tolerate it.

Reactions: Dave_L

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, well that's disappointing because I have a small bag of each. What is it that you don't agree with for the pigs ears and bones?

I would be looking for a training type of treat, something different from her regular meals because as you said, something different is always nice.
She has plenty of chew toys thats for sure! I had some chew treats (I believe they were the bully sticks as well) earlier on as well but with the diarrhea going on as I said I took her off everything aside from regular dry food.

I'll be bringing Lexi to the dog park this weekend for the first time but since I know controling her will be difficult to start I was hoping to have a super awesome treat for when she does listen.

thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
Oh, well that's disappointing because I have a small bag of each. What is it that you don't agree with for the pigs ears and bones?

I would be looking for a training type of treat, something different from her regular meals because as you said, something different is always nice.
She has plenty of chew toys thats for sure! I had some chew treats (I believe they were the bully sticks as well) earlier on as well but with the diarrhea going on as I said I took her off everything aside from regular dry food.

I'll be bringing Lexi to the dog park this weekend for the first time but since I know controling her will be difficult to start I was hoping to have a super awesome treat for when she does listen.

thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out.
Pig's ears get recalled a lot and don't last very long. I just don't like them that much. I very, very rarely have given a pig's ear from a local farm where I know the source. If I had to choose between pig's ears and rawhide I'd choose the ears, as rawhide can be really, really dangerous. There are several threads on DT about rawhide, and you can read about the dangers of rawhide online, too. Some people still give rawhide, but for me it's just not worth the risk. Additionally, I've found that rawhide can cause loose stools.

The most high value treat that I've found around here is the dried tripe. I can get it at the local, independent pet stores that carry high end food.

You may want to do some reading on DT about the dangers of dog parks before you take your pup there.

Reactions: Dave_L and ZenChari

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've heard about some of the dangers with parks. I'll always have a close eye on her.
I have no choice but to bring her there until I can get her trained well enough outside to be off leash and well behaved.

It just would be really nice to throw a ball for her over a longer distance than through the hallway of my house, which she loves but she could love it a whole lot more.

thanks for the heads up on the rawhide bones, looks like I'll just throw those out...it was the kind with the knots on the end too...

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
You could also try some plain baked potato or cooked whitefish. We recomend it at work a lot because we deal highly with food and pollen allergic dogs. Both are some of the least likely to upset the stomach, especially the potato. It sounds plain but because it's "People food" and something she wouldn't be getting except when training it can have a surprisingly high value. There are also some recipies online for homeade dog cookies made with potato flours and fish for sensitive and allergic dogs :) Good luck!

Make Homemade Dog Treat Recipes for Your Dog
There are some good ones here, but I am sure there are more elsewhere as well.

Reactions: Dave_L

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
In my opinion you cannot beat cooked chicken for treats if your dog has a sensitive stomach.

Pigs ears (here at least) are smoked and have in the past upset Toby's tummy a little, but now he is older he eats them with little to no problem (as long as he chews them properly).

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well thanks guys!... for ruining both those bags of treats i got for her! haha.

I eat a lot of boiled potatos for my own dinner, I suppose I could try this, I just don't want her begging at the table when she smells it. I trained her to chill on the couch when I'm eating but she's never shared people food thus far aside from peanut butter....which, I don't normally eat for dinner :)

I'll try some of those duck and potato treats, strap a poop catcher to Lexi and a nose clip to me and hope for a good night sleep.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I boil meats like ck gizzards & ck breast cut into small pieces. I also bake liver treats & pumpkin/peanut butter treats. I occasionally use cheese but a very little. You could use dehydrated sweet potato. I would use that if I wouldnt keep burning them. LOL Now if I could use ice cream cones I would have one trained dog! That is her favorite.

I used to give raw hide and pig ears. Kyrah tho has never had any of them. Cujo has choked on both. He tries to swallow pieces that are too big and they get stuck in his throat. I have had to get his mouth open and pull it out. Luckily I could reach it.

For chews I now give raw bones/chews..turkey necks, pork necks, pig feet, pig ears, deer bones, pork butt bones. With the larger bones I let them chew until I see the only part left is the hardest part and then I take it away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts