Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Found this site by spending hours researching everything about dobermans.(anything and everything).This is my 4th dobie. She is now 7 months old.I got her when she was 9 weeks old. I am always researching and trying to find out as much as I can about this breed.
My question is, what kind of hard things do you give your dobes for chewing. There is a lot of controversy out there.
Rawhide--bones-pressed or? (good or bad ) (some dogs have died due to complications of pieces becoming lodged inside of them)So I am concerned.
Beef bones (large for this breed) Serve raw or cook them. Splintering problems?
Stuffed toys are out for me now--she destroys them.
Nylabones ?? Any thought on this would be greatly appreciated. She stilll needs to chew, plus its good for her teeth and she leaves our things alone.
Also, training treats. I get ones without dyes, additives etc. as much as possible. I use cheese--which she thinks is ok but not really that great.So I am always on the hunt for food that she will really be crazy about for training.
I am having some issues with her, which is why I am really looking for things with not many additives etc.
Thank you so much for any info you can add.
My user name is really as it reads. I grew up in a home that always had pets.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome to Dobermantalk alwayshadpets, I think you will find that most here will say to give raw bones for chewing, I do because they love them and they don't splinter like cooked ones. I get what is called marrow bones from the grocer. They are much cheaper than the ones that you can get for dogs that are already cooked.

I think Nylabones are pretty good but my boy eats them so I have to watch him closely, he gets little pieces off and swallows them. My girl would chew on a Nylabone forever and not eat it so basically it depends on the dog. I do give an occasional rawhide, the really huge ones about 13 to 14 inches because they love them and with the really big ones it takes a long time to do damage to them so I can watch them closely with it and when it gets really wet I take them away but it will entertain them for hours.

My dogs would do anything for CHEESE! I am surprised yours doesn't care so much for it. My girl has gotten out the door on a couple of occasions with the grandkids coming through too slow and all I have to do is yell "want some cheese?!?! and Da'Kari will come back faster than she went out.

As far as treats, not sure what to recommend because mine love anything! Anything that is eatable they will almost do cartwheels for LOL.

·
Registered
821 Posts
For hard things to chew mine like nylabones and chew hooves. Mine also "kill" stuffed toys and for training I like to use frozen Bil Jac. You can squeeze it and roll it up into a ball and put it in your pocket and they just love it.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from myself and "the pack" here in the U.K.
I usually give them nylabones to chew on as they seem to last longest and give them something hard to work the teeth.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Welcome to DT. I like Bullysticks and pigs ears....They may not last as long but it keeps them busy for atleast an hour or so.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hi there! I only give raw soup bones I get from the grocery store. I freeze them first so they are less messy, and the kids LOVE them. I won't feed rawhides, or anything else though.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Welcome! I have a 3 month old dobie girl. I give her raw beef elbow bones, bullysticks although I find them expensive and they are like sticks. I think for a puppy they are kinda dangerous so I watch her carefully when she get's these. For training I use Benny Bully's Liver Chops, they are made of 100% beef liver nothing else. I find alot of the treats have sugar in them. The Bully's can be easily broken up into bite size pieces and they are chewed quickly. (Important when training in my opinion)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.. Oh I know about stuffies!!!! My dogs even destroy their beds after a while.. I am always sewing patches on the bed..
Can't wait to hear more about you.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
welcome to the forum alwayshadpets. I feed my two maniacs raw beef bones from the butcher, the occaisional pig ear, and some beef knuckle bones I got from whitedogbone.com (have seen them in person at local dog shows). my kids call the Trex bones because they are sow big. hubby saws them in half lengthwise so Molly and Apollo can get at the marrow.

Molly, my one year old, also seem to like Palmpilots, having chewed up two on my husband :help_up_2

cc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts