Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. First off I want to say I am loving this site. Everyone here is great and the information and feeling I get from coming here is priceless.

My question is when you take your Dobe to the vet, the park or anywhere in the car for that matter Do you let him sit in the backseat? Do you always use a kennel? What is acceptable? Does your Dobe get carsick and are there any tips for that?

Thanks in advance. You all are great.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
alienex said:
Hello Everyone. First off I want to say I am loving this site. Everyone here is great and the information and feeling I get from coming here is priceless.

My question is when you take your Dobe to the vet, the park or anywhere in the car for that matter Do you let him sit in the backseat? Do you always use a kennel? What is acceptable? Does your Dobe get carsick and are there any tips for that?

Thanks in advance. You all are great.

Well, they should be in a kennel or restrained in someway, however I admit that I just take Lexus in the middle seat of my van (dobemobile). She must however either laydown on the seat, or sit on the floor (she likes to look out the window). It varies with the dog of course, but with Lexus, she has been making road trips since she was 11 weeks old, and she LOVES the van and rides with a passion. I usually take her even if I'm just dropping off books at the library, picking up prescriptions, or other trivial trips. She doesn't get remotely sick.

I'd start with just short rides and make it positive for your pooch so they look forward to it, rather then loathe it.

My other dog, Harley, I adopted when he was a year old, and he hates the car big time. He used to get really sick, (once even landed a lovely stink pile on my back seat on the way to the vets :mad: )but I've worked with him, and have him down to just a consistant slimy drool now :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,417 Posts
Mostly I use a crate--and even as I type this I know that I make exceptions--I should never do that because dogs have been killed in accidents where they became the flying object during a collision. And I know of horrible roll over accidents with vans full of dogs where all of the dogs survived because they were crated.

So my advice to you is to crate your puppy for trips--safter for him and you--they can be a big distraction if they get to doing something in the backseat that you'd rather not have them do.

As far a car sickness goes. I've only had one dog who got car sick and that was my Australian Shepherd. We always counted on him throwing up within minutes of starting a trip--so we allowed enough time to go and clean out the crate before going on our way.

Eventually, because he went everywhere with us he stopped getting actively sick--just drooled a little and finally that stopped too. He was at a distinct disadvantage though since most of his puppyhood was spent in the mountains in central Vermont--lots of up and down and windey roads.

I had one Dobe who got sick once every year on the way to a dog show that I got to by taking a ferry--he didn't get car sick but he sure got sea sick.

And just this weekend I was puppy sitting a four month old puppy who turned out to get car sick--he doesn't in my handlers van (we think because he can't see out) but he sure did in my truck. I just made sure when I realized that he was prone to motion sickness that I hadn't fed him just before we were going someplace--if I did that he only drooled (but he did drool a lot).

If your puppy gets car sick and gets sick all the time, every time talk to your vet about Bonine--that's an anti-motion sick med for people but it can be given to dogs (as can dramamine) you need to get the proper dosage from your vet though. And Bonine has fewer side effects (sleepiness) for dogs just as it does for people.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
No, not usually. I should, I know I should...but honestly, I dont. Sometimes I will set the crate up in my car (Its up right now) but most of the time, I keep it in the trunk. Rommel was about 8 weeks old when we made the first long car trip with him (north carolina to texas, straight through 22 hours) he did super, and he has always been great in the car. Sometimes he wants to look out the window, but he usually sleeps spread out across the backseat.

He has never been carsick (thank gosh) but I agree with dobebug, talk to your vet about possible medications if and when the problem arises.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Oscar has been riding in the back seat of my SUV since 8 weeks old. I agree with Lexus completely--SHORT trips first--and he is ALWAYS secured with a leash inside because my windows are usually down partway. Depending on your car, your pup imay not be tall enough to get in your vehicle by himself at this age (mine wasn't at Duke's age). But I also think it's important to teach a command for getting in because when he's 50+ lbs. you don't want to have to lift him in. I make Oscar sit and wait while I open the door, then tell him, "up-up" and in he goes on his own now. Also teach him correct etiquette for getting out (pretty much the same thing in reverse)--no bolting out as soon as you open the door--which they love to do. I suggest an "out-sit" routine, so he must wait (or sit) before you unblock his path out of the car, and once outside he must sit and wait while you close the door, put your keys away, look out for traffic, etc.. Always be patient and consistent. Dobie pups learn quickly from following the same routine.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My Bruno has been coming everywhere with me since he was a wee lil puppy. We just let him have the back seat in our van, or sometimes he'll wanna squeeze up front between the two front seats. Or often times on my lap (yeah 70lb puppy on your lap can get quite heavy LOL).

But in my car he gets the front seat. Or if someone is in the front seat he sits between my boys booster seats :D

He does really well when travelling. I really have no complaints about it. :D

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Mine are always in the back seat. Must be laying or sitting. I know they should be restrained. Doodle is the only one that used to get car sick. Never failed that he would lose it all over my back seat and floor board. I usually tried to stop when I heard it start. Most of the time, I was unsuccessfull. He is wonderful now. He had to get used to the motion. Lots of small trips here and there. A friend of mine had a GSD that was so bad with anxiety and car sickness the vet put him on meds when she would take him. Which was everywhere. He never worked out of it no matter how positive it was and how much she took him. So he got a treat(happy pill) to relax, and they enjoyed a nice road trip together. She frequently traveled long distances.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My dog wears a "doggy seatbelt", the kind you can get at PetSmart. They are a padded harness that gets connected to a seatbelt. I feel that just like a person, dogs should be restrained when in a moving vehicle for safety.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If I only had one dog, it would be restrained either with a doggy seatbelt or a crate...always. However, since I have four dogs there isn't enough room in the backseat for all of them, nor is there enough room for everyone to have a crate. So, Winston & Morgan go in the very back of our SUV and wear harnesses which are attached to a 2ft leash each, which are then attached to some handles that were already on the sides of the vehicle (I don't know what they're actually meant for, but they work well for the dogs). Tango goes in the back seat and wears a dog seatbelt and Tia is beside her in her crate. Hopefully all of that made sense.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My two ride in the back of the SUV with a metal barrier, it works out better because Da'Kari wants to be up front with us, before getting the barrier she would start out in the back seat but slowly make her way up front if no one was in the front seat, if there was then she would stand and keep the front part of her body between the front seats but would slowly come in closer and closer, the barrier helps so much, I can concentrate on driving rather than trying to keep her out of my lap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"Mostly I use a crate--and even as I type this I know that I make exceptions--I should never do that because dogs have been killed in accidents where they became the flying object during a collision. And I know of horrible roll over accidents with vans full of dogs where all of the dogs survived because they were crated."

That's the bottom line for me.

In another life many years ago, I worked on more kids that I can remember who turned into human projectiles. One case in particular, a 13 y/o who was sleeping in the back seat of her parents station wagon (pre mini-van days) un-restrained. Dad had to slam on the brakes to avoid a dog, sleeping daughter kept going. Dad avoided the dog with no damage to the station wagon, daughter didn't avoid the front seat. When daughter woke up, C-7, paralyzed, for life. During rehab, we kept on playing Fleetwood Mac's Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow to keep her focused on the future rather than the present. Dad was un-consolable, obviously. I never wanted to be like that... ever.

My dogs are like my kids, if the car/truck is moving, they are restrained. Karma in a crate, Dogma in a doggie seatbelt. Dogma's like Houdini but we've finally figured out a way to keep her in it... without using duct tape.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Most of the time I crate them, only when I got to work I take Yordi with me and sit on the backseat, but he is also used to the cage,

We always started with a cage when they are little like this

Later on the go into the "big cages" they having more space in it, its safe for them,

when we go to our trainingsfield at a certain point on the road they know they go for training, it looks like they smell the field!

they are so exciting so for their own safety its better to put them in their cage.

I never had a dog who was carsick, thank goodness, but we always put them in a crate right from the beginning!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I take mine with me all the time in the car.

If it is just a short trip and I take a dog, that dog sits in the front of my car. They have great car manners so they aren't all over the place, even with the window open or if we go through a drive-thru. They sit in the front seat like a person, so many people crack up about this.

With puppies I bring a long bully stick - one that they only get in the car, that keeps them busy if they feel they need to chew. If I bring more than one animal, one gets the front, the others get crated or seat belted for safety reasons if it is a long trip. If I have a Chihuahua or two or three with me I must admit I let them sit on my lap while I am driving.

I use a doggie seatbelt for long trips. When two or more people travel we put the dogs in the backseat with seatbelts (for long trips) or a crate, which I don't use for very long over two hours type trips as it is too cramped. Although I probably should restrain at all times, I don't always do that, esp. for short trips. Many times we let our puppies (when they were very small and tiny) ride on our laps while the other drove.

Thankfully I have never had one that gets sick in the car, but have known some Dobes that have, they all grew out of it.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I use a crate or a dog guard to keep them in the back so they can't move around too much and distract me from what i should be doing.The gang are all brilliant car travellers and never give me an ounce of trouble.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Sooz said:
Oscar has been riding in the back seat of my SUV since 8 weeks old. I agree with Lexus completely--SHORT trips first--and he is ALWAYS secured with a leash inside because my windows are usually down partway. Depending on your car, your pup imay not be tall enough to get in your vehicle by himself at this age (mine wasn't at Duke's age). But I also think it's important to teach a command for getting in because when he's 50+ lbs. you don't want to have to lift him in. I make Oscar sit and wait while I open the door, then tell him, "up-up" and in he goes on his own now. Also teach him correct etiquette for getting out (pretty much the same thing in reverse)--no bolting out as soon as you open the door--which they love to do. I suggest an "out-sit" routine, so he must wait (or sit) before you unblock his path out of the car, and once outside he must sit and wait while you close the door, put your keys away, look out for traffic, etc.. Always be patient and consistent. Dobie pups learn quickly from following the same routine.

Very good point, I'm glad you brought it up! A command is a must for your pup to be a respectful rider. Lex also has a "hop in vagon" to enter the vehicle (I KNOW I didn't spell it right you German know-hows out there!!), and Onocktung (again spelled wrong!!!) is her okay to get out of the vehicle. She may not enter or leave without the commands.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
rah rides loose in the back of the truck for short trips that do not involve major highways (so i wont be going very fast) - most of the time he lays down on the dog bed that i keep in my car.

for long trips or high speeds, he is crated.

this is how all my dogs have done it. for any sort of trip, they are all crated too - especially since i used to regularly make the drive from MA to NJ, or MA to CT. if a third dog comes for the ride, we can put the crate lengthwise behind my other two, since the seats go down. the crates arent huge ones, but my dogs have travelled very far distances in them, and they are all wonderful travellers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When all 3 are riding with us they go in the back of the SUV. Lately it has been a lot to take all of them so either Suzy or Alex go with us now. Sometimes both go but one of them turns out to be the instigator that gets the other barking and it is just not fun. My next purchase is going to be a barrier so they can't be propelled into the front, plus a ramp for Alex since he can't jump up or down any time soon. Now that Alex had his surgery he won't be able to ride unrestrained at all so I got him a fleece lined car harness, same kind that Pippinislove mentioned only I got mine at Petco. When he is able to sit and stand better I will put down one of the back seats and hook him up. My very first Dobie used to ride in my car and stick her head out of the sunroof.

The only dog I ever had that got car sick was an Irish Setter that I got 30 years ago. She drooled all the way home from the breeders but eventually outgrew it and loved to ride in the car.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java has travelled with a doggy seatbelt ever since I brought her home, in fact whenever I bring it out she now sits nicely because she knows that unless it's on, she's not going anywhere! She tried to teeth on it at first, but grew out of it quickly. If I am driving back to Toronto from Jersey, I keep her collapsible kennel in the back of the truck. She seems content to just hang out there watching the traffic go by.

Knock wood, no evidence of motion sickness to date. She does tend to bring up vile in the am if she is very hungry before I feed her 'breakfast' - not a lot, maybe two tablespoons or so of sick. She always looks so guilty after it happens, I can't get upset with her for being a hungry pup.

Have now made it a habit that even if she wants to go out @ 6:30 am on a weekend morning, I make sure to get her breakfast ready so that she has something in her stomach. (Then we can both go back get a bit more shut-eye.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
"BTW - it is now illegal in NJ for a dog to ride unsecured in a vehicle - classified as 'loose cargo'. That $18 harness is well worth it to keep everyone safe in the car."

While I'm not a fan of legislating/criminalizing everything, that's not a bad idea. Going 20mph or not "going very fast" has injured and killed more kids than I care to think about. The paralyzed girl I was talking about above got that way from Dad going less than 35 mph in a Miami suburb.

There's a reason why child restraint laws were created, and it wasn't just for high speed interstate travel. Most fatal accidents occur within 10 miles of home and at less than 40 mph.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts