Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if I didn't think there was anything else Diesel could figure out, he has now figured out how to open the trash can and pull stuff out and he's sneaky about it too. He hasn't ever actually eaten anything because I haven't given him the chance but it needs to stop. I tried spraying the lid with bitter apple spray but that only lasts for so long then he's right back at it. Any suggestions on what to do? I want to get a new trashcan but I feel like he'll just figure that one out as well.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
This is a very dangerous habit. I dont care if it slighlty tramatizes the dog.
You can improvise many things, I prefer a smoke detector noise. because if hears that in a bad situation, ie: fire, he has to know to panic.
You only need a basic understanding of the test switch, and either using a string or get fancy playing with the wires, so it activates once the lid is open.

If your dog starts barking at the Fire Alarm in a real fire, this is a very good thing.
I respect Fire alot, I chased the Fire Trucks, to my street and turned the corner to see my house burning when i was 8. Wasnt fun chasing after Fire Trucks then and I simply gave up the activity.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VIDEO!!!! TAKE ONE!

Maybe you should put the trash can under a cabinet?
I was trying to take a picture but he fell off haha the trash can isn't very stable for an almost 70lb Doberman :rolleyesww:

It's too tall :( I thought about that. It sucks cause the apartment complex I'm in you have to use that trashcan because they collect the trash every night and it has to be in that trash can which is possibly the dumbest rule I've ever heard.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a very dangerous habit. I dont care if it slighlty tramatizes the dog.
You can improvise many things, I prefer a smoke detector noise. because if hears that in a bad situation, ie: fire, he has to know to panic.
You only need a basic understanding of the test switch, and either using a string or get fancy playing with the wires, so it activates once the lid is open.

If your dog starts barking at the Fire Alarm in a real fire, this is a very good thing.
I respect Fire alot, I chased the Fire Trucks, to my street and turned the corner to see my house burning when i was 8. Wasnt fun chasing after Fire Trucks then and I simply gave up the activity.
I agree it's very dangerous. I throw all kinds of things out and I would hate for him to get any of them. Usually he just grabs paper towels out but that isn't good either.

I actually took my fire alarm off because it would go off randomly. I had it checked and everything and they said it was fine but every time I use my oven it goes off so I just took it off. I live in an apartment so we have big alarms that go off for fires too. I could use that though. I'll sit it next to me and push it next time he goes near the trash and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at novelty stores/joke shops. They usually have little mini-alarms/sirens that are motion detected. Put it by the garbage and it'll go off when he's after it, and since it's motion activated it'"ll stop if he does
That's a really good idea too. I never thought to get anything that would make a noise and scare him away from it.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I agree it's very dangerous. I throw all kinds of things out and I would hate for him to get any of them. Usually he just grabs paper towels out but that isn't good either.

I actually took my fire alarm off because it would go off randomly. I had it checked and everything and they said it was fine but every time I use my oven it goes off so I just took it off. I live in an apartment so we have big alarms that go off for fires too. I could use that though. I'll sit it next to me and push it next time he goes near the trash and see what happens.
That might work, but i think it has to be associated with exactly what HE is doing, not you activating it or in his presence. Best then to enter the room in a height of hysteria/panic, so he sees how you react. I feel it is one of those things that has to be very dramatic, not to the dog but the situation, so it leaves an everlasting impact.
I did it with Lady, as other ways failed and she never went near that cupboard again and or ripped open garbage, because between her and Kaiser, they had garbage, shredding everywhere. I was very lucky except for diarehha from her, but I had watched nothing sharp would go ini it. It was funny afterwards because when I opended the door, they sat as always, but both ears were pinned down and I know , Wassup. Once I said "What", after seeing the dismay behind them, both couldnt get through the basement doorway fast enuf, to go to their crates... Hours later Kaiser came up first and just gave me the puppy eyes/pinned ears, standing beside the patio door, to go pee. Once I said "gotta pee, Good Boy", his tail wagged and I let him out. Of course Lady was in the doorway now, and she got the same treatment and it was all forgotten about.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That might work, but i think it has to be associated with exactly what HE is doing, not you activating it or in his presence. Best then to enter the room in a height of hysteria/panic, so he sees how you react. I feel it is one of those things that has to be very dramatic, not to the dog but the situation, so it leaves an everlasting impact.
I did it with Lady, as other ways failed and she never went near that cupboard again and or ripped open garbage, because between her and Kaiser, they had garbage, shredding everywhere. I was very lucky except for diarehha from her, but I had watched nothing sharp would go ini it. It was funny afterwards because when I opended the door, they sat as always, but both ears were pinned down and I know , Wassup. Once I said "What", after seeing the dismay behind them, both couldnt get through the basement doorway fast enuf, to go to their crates... Hours later Kaiser came up first and just gave me the puppy eyes/pinned ears, standing beside the patio door, to go pee. Once I said "gotta pee, Good Boy", his tail wagged and I let him out. Of course Lady was in the doorway now, and she got the same treatment and it was all forgotten about.
I love that name, Lady :)

Anyway I get what you mean. I need to figure out a way to make it go off when he does it. Diesel luckily has never eaten anything or had any problems it's always when I'm cooking or sitting in the family room which is right next to the kitchen so he never gets the chance to eat anything.

How sweet. They sound like wonderful dogs. Now to make Diesel like that haha

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Diesel, I am reading this and can't stop laughing.
- what a smart bum, not only opening the lid, but than using the garbage can as a mini step ladder, to the kitchen counter...wow

Pup Amy got a discarded KFC chicken breast bone piece out of the garbage once...11 years ago.
Wife caught her in the act. and pulled it out of her mouth, while Amy was headed to the living room.
- afterwards I said, at least Amy recognized the KFC herbs and secret spice recipe...LOL...an unresistable fatty oil flavor
- luckly, she didn't try her garbage diving again

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Diesel, I am reading this and can't stop laughing.
- what a smart bum, not only opening the lid, but than using the garbage can as a mini step ladder, to the kitchen counter...wow

Pup Amy got a discarded KFC chicken breast bone piece out of the garbage once...11 years ago.
Wife caught her in the act. and pulled it out of her mouth, while Amy was headed to the living room.
- afterwards I said, at least Amy recognized the KFC herbs and secret spice recipe...LOL...an unresistable flavor
- luckly, she didn't try her garbage diving again
He is one smart pup that's for sure haha He has found all my secret hiding spots for things he's only allowed to have sometimes. It's ridiculous.

Silly Amy. At least that's something yummy. Diesel goes for paper towels haha

1 - 20 of 54 Posts