Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from our new dog's owner & we've moved up the transition day to tomorrow. (Her weekend schedule tightened up & everytime she looks at the dog she cries, so it seems better for everyone if we move quickly.)

Any suggestions to make the move easier for Channel (pronounced Chanel like Coco Chanel)?

She's coming with dog beds, toys, food & snacks. I'll also be getting all her info & obedience signals to try and stay consistant. No crate as she isn't used to it & I wasn't going to use one.

I'd just like to make this as stress free for everyone as possible. I'm already planning on keeping visitors out & the household calm. She's not always leashed with her current owner, but she'll be leashed with us (probably also in the house as well for the first few weeks or until she develops a bond.)

We can't have one individual with her all the time - but she won't be alone in the house.

Any other thoughts besides lots of walks and maybe stuffed frozen Kongs?
Kate

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
These are basics, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to more suggestions:

Don't hover over her or push yourself on her, trying too hard to be friendly. Sit on the floor, back to the dog, let her approach you to familiarize herself with your smell and shape.

Remember of course, that it will take her 2-3 weeks to start to become comfortable in your house and with you--then and likely, only then, will you see her true personality, warts and all. Be prepared and expect her to slip backward in her manners once she feels at home.

Good luck, relax, don't kick yourself too hard if you make little mistakes in dealing with her as a new dog--just relax and go with the flow.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Although I don't follow it strictly, a modified "Two Week Shutdown" can be really helpful for dogs as they transition to a new home. Bringing a New Dog Home!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
depends on the dog.

some will 'mourn' the loss of their former owner, these are the ones who need space and time to get over their 'loss'. patience and understanding is what they need. in time with lots of love, attention and a steady new routine they will form a bond with their new owners.

there are some who just move on in like they have always been your dog.

Good luck with your new girl. Thanks for giving her a home. I hope everything goes well for both of you.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
At least she is coming from one loving home to another. :nicejob:

My girl went through three homes, ended up in a shelter for three weeks, stayed with a breeder for three weeks for evaluation and then came to me.

It took her about another three weeks to start to completely relax.

As mentioned, just let her find her way into the routine and don't throw too many new things at her for a while.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all!

I'm not sure we can shut down for two weeks - but there are currently only two of us here (rather than four) & we have spent some time ignoring her & letting her be on the bed/floor. We did go for a walk through the fields & along the road & played some fetch.

She's an awesome dog. Calm, doesn't chase cats, showed no interest in cows. Now she just needs her new owners to learn some obedience & other skills. :) (My dd & I just discussed it - the ball is OURS. Chanel can chase it & play with us, but she doesn't get to keep the ball in the house. (She has a stuffie, a small short rope thing & a rawhide bone that she doesn't want. But no ball.)

I'm going to post some pictures on the intro forum.
Kate

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
Thank you all!

I'm not sure we can shut down for two weeks - but there are currently only two of us here (rather than four) & we have spent some time ignoring her & letting her be on the bed/floor. We did go for a walk through the fields & along the road & played some fetch.

She's an awesome dog. Calm, doesn't chase cats, showed no interest in cows. Now she just needs her new owners to learn some obedience & other skills. :) (My dd & I just discussed it - the ball is OURS. Chanel can chase it & play with us, but she doesn't get to keep the ball in the house. (She has a stuffie, a small short rope thing & a rawhide bone that she doesn't want. But no ball.)

I'm going to post some pictures on the intro forum.
Kate
We have a variety of "playthings" that must stay outside--sticks, chunks of bark, old totally dry bones......We see the dog coming up to the sliding glass door with a mouth full of...something....and just stand there staring at him until he sheepishly drops the toy and sits at the door.

Capri, of course, will then still make a quick grab for the forbidden item and dash through the door carrying it again. That sometimes works, at night when we're too sleepy to notice--then we get a stick in our bed. She likes to curl up and go to sleep with her prized possessions.

I'm waiting for your pictures--it's good to hear things are going smoothly for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
These are basics, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to more suggestions:

Don't hover over her or push yourself on her, trying too hard to be friendly. Sit on the floor, back to the dog, let her approach you to familiarize herself with your smell and shape.

Remember of course, that it will take her 2-3 weeks to start to become comfortable in your house and with you--then and likely, only then, will you see her true personality, warts and all. Be prepared and expect her to slip backward in her manners once she feels at home.

Good luck, relax, don't kick yourself too hard if you make little mistakes in dealing with her as a new dog--just relax and go with the flow.
this sound like the best advice...something I've heard from others. Patience is the key. looking forward to picture of your new fur babie.

·
Registered
975 Posts
There is a good article on the Leerburg site for the first 30 days of adjusting to a new adult dog.
Personally I have found that most adult dogs adjust fairly well, just don't ask for too much too soon and never let them loose unless in a safe confined environment.

Good luck.

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Brampton!
Congrats on your new family member. Give her some time and I'm sure you'll have a new shadow :)

Reactions: smudgeid

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
thinking of you now as one of my dearest friends had to rehome his beloved girl. How I wish it were her, and how I hope whereever she ends up has a concerned and loving family like yours to spend the rest of her life with. Bless you.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
We have a variety of "playthings" that must stay outside--sticks, chunks of bark, old totally dry bones......We see the dog coming up to the sliding glass door with a mouth full of...something....and just stand there staring at him until he sheepishly drops the toy and sits at the door.

Capri, of course, will then still make a quick grab for the forbidden item and dash through the door carrying it again.
Shanoa does the same thing (Simon's not much of a toy dog). She always wants to bring in tennis balls and dirty outside toys, and doesn't see why I wouldn't want her to do that :) I usually have to do both a "drop it" and a "leave it" to get her inside toy-free.

OP, it's pretty common in rehomed dogs that they will be on "best behavior" for a while and you won't see as many of their quirks or bad behaviors. Generally by six months you'll have a good sense of who they really are. Just something to be prepared for. I think as long as you establish your expectations early and stay consistent they adjust pretty well.

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 14 of 14 Posts