Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That is a great video. That is how Callie (my pit) was trained on the treadmill as well. As soon as Bumpy gets a little older I am going to do the same thing.
So cute!!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
thank you.... I'd been wondering how to do that. But I'm still wondering if they ever try to jump off, after you're not straddling them anymore?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Oh, and at what age can you start them on the treadmill?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thanks for posting that video - gonna try that with my crew tomorrow. At least then the treadmill will get some use other then for hanging my cloths on when I'm lazy and collecting dust.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My sister started teaching her puppy to walk on the treadmill at 8 months. at first she walked on the treadmill next to the puppy as if they were going on a walk..All my dogs walk on the treadmill each day for about 1.5 miles. I am hoping to get them up to about 3 miles a day. With the leash tied up to the handle of the treadmill and the collar high on the dogs neck as if they were being shown we do not have a problem with them trying to jump off. I also stay in the room and sit and read a book while they were first learning.. about a week to watch them.. Now 3 weeks later I can go to the other room and just come back and check on them every few minutes.. also I can hear them walking so I can tell by the sound of the walk if all is ok or not... I just love it and the dogs are getting some much needed excerise..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting...that just looks way too easy.

I can barely get abby to get on the scale at the vets. Getting her on a treadmill and keeping her there...yikes!

·
Registered
30 Posts
OMG frznbuns - THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH for posting that video!!! I tried it - it worked like a CHARM!!! :dancing_b

My Widdy is a little over a year and so very full of energy! AMAZING amounts of energy! :help_up_2 I have been trying things for months, to burn off all that excess energy. Nothing worked well enough, no matter what I tried. I live in Ohio so getting outside time has come to a screeching halt.

I'd read about training dogs to use a treadmill but they all did it in steps, with lots of treats/praise and TIME!!! When I saw your video, I thought "what the heck, we'll give it a shot". It went SO MUCH better than I ever expected. :cool2: She is totally comfortable as long as she can feel my legs touching her. I tried, slowly moving my one leg away, but it made her nervous and she'd lose her stride. So I figure we'll take it slow and work on her being more comfortable, in time. I've had her on 3 times today (for 10 min. each) and she's not reluctant to get on! *yahooooooo*

Again, I can't thank you enough! You may have just, single handedly, saved my SANITY!!! :thanx:

Here she is on the first try..................

And this is the side effect!!!! :biggthump

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
It's me that needs the treadmill,the girls are fit i'm the one who needs more exercise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LOL Brum! Same here! I'm trying to come up with some way that I can walk on the treadmill the same time Widdy is!:thinking: She's so long tho, there just isn't enough room! :sadcry:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I would be so nervous about leaving them alone on the treadmill. a couple times in the video, Spirit got close to the back. I would be scared to death about them fallin off and there being a major wreck.

and brum, I'm with you. the dober kids are in great shape, it's my fat @$$ that needs to get on the treadmill

now if you will excuse me, I need to get a piece of cake......lol

cc

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Codysmom said:
I would be so nervous about leaving them alone on the treadmill. a couple times in the video, Spirit got close to the back. I would be scared to death about them fallin off and there being a major wreck.

and brum, I'm with you. the dober kids are in great shape, it's my fat @$$ that needs to get on the treadmill

now if you will excuse me, I need to get a piece of cake......lol

cc
Spirit is very long also.. He tends to walk to the back more than the girls.. and yes I watch them like a hawk.. we are in a one floor house (small) So I can go to the next room a foot away to the kitchen or 5 feet away to the office and be still right next to them.. I would never leave them unattended..
Like I said that is our first video and not the best.. but we are going to make another one that shows how you put the leash and how to step off.. I am very happy.. Sis has been walking all her dogs on the mill for over a year now.. I love it that she has gotten all the dogs to walk.. it is so cold here and with my arm.. I just cant walk them like I would like..

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
How IS your arm doing? are you getting motion and agility back? how is PT going (you know PT really stands for Pain and Torture, not Physical Therapy). let me know how you are progressing. I can't believe you are able to type yet.

cc

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH how I know about the pain and torture!! I joke with them because the office is in the basement of the doctor's building... the torture chambers are always in the dungeon...I know that my arm will get better.. but getting to that point is he.. PT had me slide a towel up a wall and I got it done 5 times and was totally wiped out for the rest of the day.. Had to take a 2 hour nap.. Thank godness for the treadmill for the dogs. they would never have any walks..Hubby works for USPS 6 days a week on a walking route.. Out side all day in the cold. walking 5 to 8 miles a day.. the last thing he wants to do when he get home is take the dogs for a walk.. As for the typing.. that is getting better everyday..thanks for asking...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Codysmom said:
My Harley has graduated to jogging on the treadmill without any physical restraint.

Previously, I "attached" him to the treadmill using the magnetic safety/shut off clip. The belief that he was stuck on a stuck on lead was enough to keep him on, while in actuality if he fell off (or chose to jump off) it would pull out and automatically turn off the treadmill.

The treadmill work has done wonders for Harley's stamina. No dog can match him at my local dog park. One day after 90 minutes or so, one owner said to me, "It appears that your dog is the only one who hasn't slowed down." At another doggy playdate with a different group of folks at a local farm, another said to me, "I can really see the difference the treadmill makes. Harley can outlast my dog [an adolescent Redbone Coonhound] now. That wasn't the case several weeks ago."

I also hit the weights while he's on the treadmill, so we've turned into workout buddies--an added benefit!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been wanting a treadmill myself - wonder if I say it is for Mystique if I can convince "Papa" that we really need to get one ???? Ok Ok .. so a little plotting never hurt anyone -- right???? I mean we have all these other things we have to get for Teak - some of which get to be Papa or Mama toys too .... yes . . the gears are a turnin .. I admit it...

Really great video. No way we could get out for walks etc the past few days here in blizzardsville IN.

Linda

1 - 18 of 18 Posts