Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone specifically train with a Spouse or SO? Hubby often goes with me but we've never really trained alone, together before, and apparently we don't communicate well :) Any tips not to kill each other or argue the whole hour home. Hubby tries very hard. Hubby is NOT a trainer and kind of misses the minor things someone else might notice! Here's how our day went:

First and probably last wife/husband hunt training session <VBG> Ran the dogs first. Did great. Went well. Got chukar. Thought we communicated. Walking in field, wife doesn't know where bird is, Hubby says Havoc won't find bird yet, we are too far away, wham, dog slams on point. Wife isn't ready. Wife hustles to get check cord. Check cord is under dog's body and if pulled tight will cut off dog parts. Must move carefully and fast to free check cord<G>. Hubby sees wife bend down, assumes she has check cord, flushes bird and blanks gun. Dog leaps. Wife drops check cord to prevent dog parts from being cut off...dog chases bird, training fail. Wife and husband decide it's not in their best interest to "train" together but just run the dogs! Dog has very much fun and wife and husband make it home without killing each other :)

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I get my partner to help with little things like proofing distractions by throwing toys or food while we are heeling or doing stays, or coming to touch Elsie while she is doing a stand-stay (preparing for CD)... he will also do stuff like restrained recalls while we are out, and will hold her while I lay tracks... But not allowed to do anything else LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I can't stand my husband even feeding the dogs due to the repeated commands for them to sit and stay while the bowl is set down. I bite my tongue though because I really like the mornings I get to sleep in when he gets up with them for me :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Ah, yes, the repeated commands! UGH!! Drives me nuts! The heel command I had to abandon b/c of hubby trainer! But he is fun to take on recall training well, most of the time. We occasionally play hide and seek at the school but since the last time he thought Kyrah could search the whole school instead of an area...I almost lost a gasket b/c so much steam was coming out at once! :busted_red: She was having a great time and then he set her up to fail! :AR15firing: Please, please stop telling her come when you know she isnt going to come!! :mad2: Thankfully when I say come for whatever reason it is in a tone all its own and her recall for me is 99%.

So training for me and hubby is a NO GO and doesnt need to be b/c we might do this to each other. :bash:

Geez, Adara you got me all worked up!! LOL

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
My husband will feed the cats and dogs if I'm too sick to, and usually is the one to feed the bird (bird hates me). He has walked a dog for when I've been sick, also, but not often, because the dogs don't really listen to him. I will have him help out by playing judge when we practice the Stand For Exam. Ilka adores him, so it can be a real challange to keep her feet on the ground.

Reactions: Adara

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
LOL SO thankfully does the grocery shopping while I'm at class. I do have him run Niz for me in class if I'm sick or nursing a hangover and Niz will just bully the hell out of SO for some treats and attempt to perform as many blind crosses as he can until I take Niz back... at which point Niz turns into an angel. :rolleyesww:

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Well our experience is different. We help each other a lot. I spot for Patrick and he spots for me. We can give each others dogs verbal corrections if our back is turned and the dog starts walking or something. We can point out things to work on when we don't realize we are doing something weird, and we discuss our training concerns and ideas all of the time. We pretty much share dog care equally, but if Patrick is busy on the field, I don't mind getting his dogs ready for him, or warming them up, toileting them, whatever he needs. And he will often run and get the toy or food i forgot. Sometimes, I get irritated when he is telling me how to do something better, but only because I hate it when he's right! :)
We are a good dog team and I appreciate that about our relationship more than I can say.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My husband is my training partner

Does anyone specifically train with a Spouse or SO? Hubby often goes with me but we've never really trained alone, together before, and apparently we don't communicate well :) Any tips not to kill each other or argue the whole hour home. Hubby tries very hard. Hubby is NOT a trainer and kind of misses the minor things someone else might notice! Here's how our day went:

First and probably last wife/husband hunt training session <VBG> Ran the dogs first. Did great. Went well. Got chukar. Thought we communicated. Walking in field, wife doesn't know where bird is, Hubby says Havoc won't find bird yet, we are too far away, wham, dog slams on point. Wife isn't ready. Wife hustles to get check cord. Check cord is under dog's body and if pulled tight will cut off dog parts. Must move carefully and fast to free check cord<G>. Hubby sees wife bend down, assumes she has check cord, flushes bird and blanks gun. Dog leaps. Wife drops check cord to prevent dog parts from being cut off...dog chases bird, training fail. Wife and husband decide it's not in their best interest to "train" together but just run the dogs! Dog has very much fun and wife and husband make it home without killing each other :)
We have trained the last three agiity dogs together, without a trainer. I am the handler because for some reason the dogs don't get it when we reverse roles. My female is stupified when I stand on the side lines. We do alot of double handling with young dogs and puppies, before they have a solid stay and we are building drive. Husband very rarely feeds the dogs but does share the exercise duties. He builds the home courses and does all of the dog walking at trials to spare my energy for the ring. We've had our moments of annoyance but for the most part we enjoy sharing the dogs and the training.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Does anyone specifically train with a Spouse or SO? Hubby often goes with me but we've never really trained alone, together before, and apparently we don't communicate well :) Any tips not to kill each other or argue the whole hour home.
When you figure this out let me know haha

I can't train with my boyfriend. We try but we both think it should go a different way from each other. I'm hoping going to classes together will help but most of the time we give up and I train Diesel so good luck!

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Hmm...no. :)

The dogs are my hobby. BF loves them but it's obvious the dogs see him as a buddy or a peer, not a leader or care taker. My experience is similar to Dobejazz's with him repeating commands and general doggy chaos when BF does offer to do something for me; which I get a pretty good laugh out of but I think they'd all be feral in the backyard if I left the 3 of them alone for a week.

I've thought about inviting him to training for his benefit in handling the dogs, but I suspect it would drive me nuts. It's the thought that counts, right? :D

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,330 Posts
I can really relate to the "repeated" commands thing! DH is relegated to playing and having fun with Baron and video taping us at trials. Plus his voice tends to be too stern sometimes and Baron is a very soft guy. Lorna you are so very lucky!

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Mine isn't terribly interested in training, so we don't have this issue. Like Brigitte, the dogs are my hobby, not his. He does, however, play and snuggle with them all the time, which makes him "fun dad" and they love him for it. In fact, Shanoa will leave me in a red hot minute if she even *thinks* daddy might want to interact with her.

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
I had to laugh with all the posts about not having the DH or SO help with training. I remember the first time my husband went to class with me and was giving the sit command to Roxy's a$$. Then Roxy started walking all around husband and husband just let it happen and got all tangled in the leash. It was something to see. My husband also gives repeated commands. This is my hobby so I do all of the training however my husband does come to classes with me as it is at night and I feel safer having him with me. He likes being called upon to be part of the crowd when the different trainers need distractions.

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
I remember at the first trial I took Ilka to, I had my husband take her outside while I went in the ring for the BN walk through. Ilka flipped out on him, and dragged him back to ringside once she realized I wasn't going along with them. It was all he could do to keep her from following me into the ring. :)

Frankly, I need my husband to ride herd on our son while I'm at a class or trial more than I need him to help me train the dogs.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Funny posts! My hubbys desinated role is to film. I had to find him a job after her started reading the course maps and telling me what to watch out for/how to run etc.
Than he wanted to walk the courses with me. Than he followed me on the pre trial walks. That was it .I knew I had to find him a job.
Now he has a group that he films (with their cameras). Works great HE HAS A JOB.:):) And I can concetrate on what I need to do.:)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
To avoid getting punched in the face, I normally do the initial training myself, and as the behaviors are becoming more polished, I'll show Steph what to do from that point, in terms of timing, reactions, etc. How and when to give commands, (example... down means "lay down", not stop jumping, or get off the couch) hand signals, how to do scentwork, bitework, etc. So, I show Steph how to work the commands, but I do most of the training without her. She understands the commands, and all that stuff, and is great with Dakota, but she's not as familiar with methods, techniques, etc.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My wife and I got our 1st dobe 35 years ago, I did all the OB and Confirmation training - in classsetting (with Mom watching with interest, once/week).
Dad did all the homework, 6 days/week for a full hour.
Mom has been a most loving dog partner, and while not interesting in the formal training...she leaves that up to me...because I am passionate about it.

We speak to our dogs mostly in full sentences (like our children), so it doesn't matter if we use the exact command or not...dog figures it out nicely.
While I know my training style has rubbed off on my wife, she no doubt adopted, my method and consistency some...in voice pitch and timing.
- in the house or out on our property, we are both very flexible to our line of communication...with the dog
- training OB to compete, Dad privately handles it all & dobe will react to my commands which are now given out formally and with clearer expectations
Our doggy mannerism's are very similar, between Mom & Dad:
- probably comes from like minded dog lovers and the fact that we have been married, since the later 1970's

Funny posts! My hubbys desinated role is to film. I had to find him a job after her started reading the course maps and telling me what to watch out for/how to run etc.
Than he wanted to walk the courses with me. Than he followed me on the pre trial walks. That was it .I knew I had to find him a job.
Now he has a group that he films (with their cameras). Works great HE HAS A JOB.:):) And I can concetrate on what I need to do.:)
^^^^ great idea & interesting stories...my wife can HD video our OB training, when our next puppy...comes into our life

1 - 20 of 33 Posts