Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I really enjoy training and seeing how smart my Dobie is. I would LOVE to train lots of tricks and obedience but we have some problems...

First, I'm not sure why, but he gets frustrated really quickly. Sometimes 1-2 repetitions of sit or down and he'll whine/groan or just jump at my hand (with the treat) with his mouth open. I don't get it, I'm using good treats and trying to be exiting with him but he just seems like he's bored/frustrated

The second thing is that when he's learning how to move his body in a new way (like 'spin') he doesn't seem to get it. He got sit/down pretty well after one training session but spin is a lot different. I started with the treat in my hand and slowly led him in a circle, then after he would do that (whining and complaining and snapping at the treat while doing it) I pretended to have the treat in my hand and he would complain again but he still (sort of) followed it but when I got to the stage of just turning it into a hand signal it was like he didn't have a clue what I was asking for and would complain a lot more, try to go for the treat and try all his other behaviors. So what am I doing wrong here?

The third thing... it's like he doesn't know how to follow a lure. I'll have something tasty (peanut butter is his favorite) and use slow motions of where I want him to go but he'll just stand and look at it for a second then try to lunge/jump at it and snap the treat right up! He won't just follow it, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do!

Thank you for all of your help!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,746 Posts
I would try some free shaping with a clicker. He might be getting frustrated because you're asking too much before he's rewarded when he's first learning something. Kikopup's Youtube channel has some great videos on how to use clicker training: kikopup's Channel - YouTube

I also highly recommend starting doing self-control games with your pup, especially if you're having trouble with him getting overexcited and trying to snatch treats. Play the "It's Yer Choice" game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc); that's a great place to start.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
You might be moving too quickly. If I lure, what I try to do say for spin is:
1. lure 3 times with cookie in my hand using a bigger arm motion. As dog starts spin, I click or say yes. They get cookie at end of spin
2. keep the motion the same, no cookie in hand, say yes when the start turn and reward from pocket.
3. Slowly I will make the motion small so it becomes a hand signal. I continue marking the correct behavior with yes.

I have found spin for my dogs (or me) is one of the more difficult things for me to train.

For luring, change the speed you are moving. Try slower, try faster. Also mark the right behavior with a yes or click to encourage. THe videos meadowcat recommended are great. Here is a video of me luring a finish to show a friend.

Oh here's one where my Vizsla gets distracted. Can you see the difference in when I lost her and when I didn't?

gab - YouTube

Here is a hoppy boy - he'd never done it this way

havee - YouTube

Flirt
flirt3 - YouTube

I would make sure you aren't using treats as a lure ALL the time or you could get a dog who ONLY works for treats. Do you use a happy silly fun voice? Maybe he's the kind of dog that can just do 2 sits and then a tug game or fetch? 2 sits and then a tug game, etc. This is a whole "session" before we play - 9 seconds and Flirt is 4

bow2 - YouTube

·
Registered
990 Posts
I third what MeadowCat and Adara said. You're not rewarding enough. I've discovered that timing is very important, and repetitions can make things worse. My training sessions are never the same, but they are frequent and short. I always try to leave him wanting more, I never wear him out.

I haven't taught a dog to spin, but if I were you I would start by rewarding right when he makes the first one or two steps to the right or left--depending on which way you want him to go. Then gradually build on that until it's a full circle. When I taught my dog to heel, I started with food as a lure. Then gradually took the lure away and rewarded with food when he offered the correct position.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh okay that makes sense, I've seen a few of kikopup's videos a while back so I should definitely watch them again! Thank you for all the videos and advice and we'll keep trying :) I didn't realize what I was doing wrong so thank you!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I would put the "spin or other tricks" on the back burner (for a while) and concentrate on OB training and eye focus games first.
If he is impatient on his sit/downs...learning spin technique, can be far more difficult / without the learning foundation established.
Structured & Stimulating Play & Perfecting the OB basics first, will generate more confidence vs. setting up to repeat a failed trick.

K-Demure - More reading on dog play exercises, to build eye focus first:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/general-training-obedience/60146-teaching-your-dobe-catch.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts