Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use for treats during training?

I use Charlee Bear treats and string cheese, cut into small bits w/Ava but I wanted some other ideas for treats that are healthy to use to keep things interesting for her. :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
while we were in puppy class with Iris, we had a hard time finding a treat that she liked.. At home she would like the treat but at class it was a different story.. Well, for the last two classes we did the raw thing.. raw pieces of chicken or beef.. boy did she preform!! the only bad thing was I was the most popular person in class with the rest of the dogs..LOL.. Over all the class went great! Iris being shy even made a few friends and that is what we wanted ..

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I switched them out. Freeze dried liver treats. cheese, hotdogs, and for the recall braunsweiger (sp?) Had to be real yummy for the recall. Makr sure what ever you use is just tiny pieces. You don't want your dog to have a meal while training.

·
Registered
421 Posts
When byron was going to class I cut lunch meat into tiny pieces for him. But at home I use pieces of dog food(I'm evil,if I act like they are treats he thinks they are) because he has time to chew at home. I use cheese with my corgi because she can't be tricked with the dog food!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and for the recall braunsweiger (sp?) Had to be real yummy for the recall.
That's a great idea! I think I may find something that she really likes just for recalls. What is braunweiger anyhow?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi loves liver but I'm a cheap-skate and hate to pay for the freeze dried liver... So I turned to the internet and found this recipe as an alternative... Have to say that she loves it, it's easy to make and much less expensive than buying the freeze-dried...

Dried Beef Liver (treats)

1 Lb Beef Liver Preheat Oven to 250 degrees
Garlic Powder 1 - 3 table spoon
1 Large Pot boiling Water

Rinse the beef liver well in cool water. Place the liver in a large pot of boiling water. Add Garlic powder 1-3 Tbsp to water. Allow enough room in the pot to prevent boiling over, and allow to boil for at least 1/2 to 3/4 hr or until cooked well. Let cool, cut into 1/2 inch sq cubes. Spread on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake in a 250 degree oven for at least 2 hrs (longer is OK) or until dry to the touch. Liver will be shrunk to about 1/4 inch cubes when done. This liver is very dry when done, and can be stored in the freezer in a plastic or zip lock container. The dried liver will last all day in your pocket, and won't stain your clothing, it is also much cheaper than freeze dried liver. You can keep it in small film canisters in your pocket so your dog won't smell it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
I switched them out. Freeze dried liver treats. cheese, hotdogs, and for the recall braunsweiger (sp?) Had to be real yummy for the recall. Makr sure what ever you use is just tiny pieces. You don't want your dog to have a meal while training.
Thats what I use and they go crazy for it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
That's a great idea! I think I may find something that she really likes just for recalls. What is braunweiger anyhow?
It's like liverwurst. It comes in a plastic tube wrapping in the lunchmeat dept. Be forwarned that it is very messy!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I use mostly lunchmeat chopped into tiny bites. Also use american cheese, chopped up and rolled into balls too. Hot dog bites, pretty much any leftover steak or chicken meat we have around at the time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use Natural Balance dog food rolls... they can be cut into any size (even very small), are more "balanced" than treats (so it doesn't matter as much if the dog gets a meal-sized amount during training), and the best part is, i haven't met a dog who doesn't flip for this stuff - from the smell to the taste, they love it. We refer to it as "doggy crack." :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I really really try not to train Gracie with treats! But there are something that you just can't train her to do without them. I use brats, steak, chicken, cheese or what every else I have laying around the house. I tried to use the dog food but she figured it out after the 4th day of doing it. Lol. Smart dog. :)

Also Tracy I will have to try the dried liver stuff. I will try and make it and see how it turns out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts