Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dobe2NE1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I was sure that he was nipping because he's still just a puppy but then I started to notice that when he gets upset or wants something his own way he bites to hurt (I've received several scars and bruises) if we walk away from him he bites us on the butt or continuously bites at our pants, tugging them. I've gotten the advice multiple times to show negative body language and ignore him so that he will understand that this behavior gets him no attention but he's to busy having a good time tugging on our pants to even care about the attention.

He doesn't like being told anything in a firm voice and will immediately stop listening if you try it with him. He does respond well to us talking to him in a sweet voice and saying "good boy" and such, which is great but sometimes a stern voice is needed when he acts out.

Another issue is he jumps constantly, he wraps his front paws around our legs and just holds on. I'm not sure about this behavior.

He will be going to training but he is to young right now for it. He knows sit, wait, down, off and heel, but will only do it if he's told multiple times or when he feels like it. I try to take him for long walks and play with him to tire out his puppy energy but he has a lot of it lol. I've owned other dobermans before but none of them have had these issues this bad. He's a great dog, smart and has excellent potential to learn a lot. I just need the right tools to help us get on the right track. So what I'm asking is what sort of tips can you share to help me at all? What has worked for you and your animal? Any other suggestions for commands we can work on?

Thanks for reading and answering!

·
Super Moderator
21,490 Posts
Your profile says your puppy is 6 weeks old...is that the age at which you got him? If so, he may be having more trouble because he missed out on a critical age with his siblings for learning bite inhibition, which means extra work for you in teaching him.

Dr. Ian Dunbar has a good method for teaching puppies how to have a soft mouth and good bite inhibition: https://www.siriuspup.com/behavior-problems/puppy-biting

·
Super Moderator
21,490 Posts
Well, that's good. The Ian Dunbar article is still really good!

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
No, that is not accurate, I don't know how to change it. This is an old account I had for my older dobie.
Look to the top of the forum on the left for User CP. Enter User CP and look to the left where you will see Your Profile and right below is Edit Your Details...enter. Dog information is under Additional Information.

About your puppy's behaviour, try the training book, The Power of Positive Dog Training.

When Parker was being particularly obnoxious, I would put him in his crate for very short time-out.

If your pup is ten weeks only make them for a minute as that's a long time for a young puppy, but never let him out if he is fussing either. I don't like using time-outs on such a young puppy, but if nothing else is getting his attention this should.

Once he continues to ignore you, lead him or pickup and take him to his crate and put him in. Don't say anything as he needs to remember what he did last which was his misbehavior. Leave him one minute and release him, also silently. If he jumps right back into the behaviour, return him to the crate for another one minute time-out. Repeat as often as needed. It took Parker three trips before he made the connection that trash diving and ignoring me equaled a time-out and he stopped, but he was also much older. Don't remember for sure but seems like he was seven months ...could've been ten months. Main thing is don't get upset or angry, just calmly take him to the crate. Don't talk to him in the crate either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts