Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Gracie and myself have been outside every day for the last few weeks. She and I are working on her training. She has the loose leash walk mastered I think. I even tried it as someone walked right passed my house. Gracie looked at the woman but kept looking up at me. She stayed in line almost the whole time. She never tried to step out in front of me. She would get a few steps behind and run up to me again.

I haven't tried the loose leash walk with her regular collar yet. I am waiting for hubby to get home to help me with that one. Oh and did I forget to mention, so far I have her broken away from all of her training collars. Do you know how much that means to me? I don't have to hook her up to her pinch or choke, or her check chain collars anymore to walk her in the front yard. I figured I would use the front yard until hubby gets home. Because we live right across from a factory. So there are many people coming in and out of that place. Along with semi's and the drivers. So once school is back in session (everyone is on Spring break) I will take her out when the kids get out of school. Sooner or later I will walk her up to the school as they are getting out. That wont be for a few more weeks yet. I need to make sure she is solid at sitting when I stop. I also need to work with her on remaining calm when a stranger approches me. But I figure if I can walk her up to the school, then that will be her crowd training for her CGC. Do you guys think that will work?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
That sounds wonderful GM! I can imagine the pride you must be feeling in Gracie AND yourself! That will be great for her to be in a crowd situation and it will be good practice for being quiet around strangers.

Here were I live we have what's called a Maple Festival every year right after Easter. They bring in rides, bands, fair food stands, games, merchants, etc that kind of thing and set it up on the square in town. I'm excited to take Lexus up to it, as it's walking distance for us. I've taken her the last two years, the first year she was just a little pup :), and last year she did fantastic, imagine it is PACKED there, literally people touching your every side as you go through certain areas in the crowd. Parades, etc. She took it like a trooper without even a hint of nervousness. I love it b/c so many people always stop to want to pet her and talk to us. Great weekend for "talking" dog:) (the maple cotton candy is good too!)

Oops sorry for the hijack! Your talk of crowds reminded me that the Maple Festival was coming up soon! Keep up the great work and keep telling us about it!! We love the stories!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
GM that is just WONDERFUL!! you both have worked so hard and done so well! If Gracie can stay focused and calm when school gets out and all those two legged toys are running around, she should be a shoo in for her CGC.

cc

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's part of the problem, I know the first few times she will not be able to remain calm. She thinks people were put on this earth to play with her and pet her at the twitch of an ear. That's why I want to take her is to get her to calm down around people. I have talked to a few people from work, and got them to agree to stop over and help me work with her. I figure what we can do is have them walk about half way down the street, then they can call me and I will walk towards them with her. As they approch me, I will make her sit and give them a treat or two and get her settled before they touch her.

Once she gets her CGC I really want to put her in agility again. She use to be top dog in her agility class before we got her. I also would love to be able to take her into nursing homes and hospitals around us. Here they have to have atleast their CGC in order to go in.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Sounds good to me GM. I think we have the same game plan for the CGC. If I can keep her focused on me, nothing should be a problem. If I were you, I would be armed with really great yum-yums as you approach the school - at first just keep the treats flowing as long as she's watching you and then gradually give her the opportunity to notice other things and treat when she reacts/behaves appropriately.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sounds like your doing great!!! I need to get Bruno out there as well. I've noticed he's starting to bark more and more at ppl who are further away when were in the van :/ Silly puppy. He didn't mind before, but I guess he's getting older so now he's gotta show he's all tough lol.

Anyway I look forward to hear about your's and Gracies progress :D Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TracyJo said:
Sounds good to me GM. I think we have the same game plan for the CGC. If I can keep her focused on me, nothing should be a problem. If I were you, I would be armed with really great yum-yums as you approach the school - at first just keep the treats flowing as long as she's watching you and then gradually give her the opportunity to notice other things and treat when she reacts/behaves appropriately.
Can I spit gobs of flem and hotdogs at Gracie? Sorry I just had to say it. I still have that image in my head. I kept laughing all day at work today because it would just randomly pop in my head. Lol. :dancing_b :emo11:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts