Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pictures of Rommel and Ziris training on thursday. Photos by K9Jarko

Justin......just trying to piss Rommel off.

Bark and Hold

Wide open mouth.......Crunch.

Closer up

Stick Hit

Ziris

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'm impressed with your too guys. Man for such a little girl she sure has balls.
I have often thought I could never be the bad guy and wear the sleeve. I would be constantly be filling my pants thinking oh god please don't bite my legs or other arm.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I love the pictures BiB and K9Jarko, I just love that sport, if I could ever fill a dream to do something with a Dobe this would be it.

Wow, Ziris is growing up and fast!!! Rommel and her both look good!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Those are great. Ziris is getting so big! I don't think I could stand there with the sleeve either. :) You have some beautiful pups! They really look like enjoy what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Great pictures Amanda!!

Just practise with Rommel for his Schutzh? And Ziris looks good also, she really seems so big in the picture!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I love that first pic of Ziris too cute!!! Question do they intentionally make the dogs mad? or is that to rev them up? or do they see the sleeve and just want to bite?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love that first pic of Ziris too cute!!! Question do they intentionally make the dogs mad? or is that to rev them up? or do they see the sleeve and just want to bite?

Well.....sometimes. The reason that the decoy that we have does it, it to make them not so "equipment" oriented. He also wants the dog looking at HIM, not at the sleeve. Rommel works mostly in prey, Justin can bring out defense in him, but we work mostly in prey. Rommel is still pretty young, and there is no need to REALLY piss him off right now, but he will mess with him sometimes with no sleeve on or anything. Usually right before we put him up, just to leave him wanting more.

But......YES, when they see a sleeve they want to bite it. All Rommel has to see is Justin, and starts getting excited :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hope BIB does not mind but I'll try to answer this one....In the beginning stages they work the dog mostly in prey rather then fight/defense drive. Then slowly they see if and what amount of pressure a dog can take - ...what we like to see is a nice balance of switching between prey and defense. Alot, and I mean alot of dogs of all breeds, wash out of SchH because they just don't have the drives to do the work.

The trainer/helper/decoy in the one pic likes to check and ensure from time to time that a dog does not become equipment oriented (only wants the sleeve). The fight is with the helper...not with a sleeve is his way of training. Helps out in the "real world". In the one picture, the helper has no sleeve...the only equipment he has is a padded stick. I think if BIB was not holding Rommel back with the line - the helper would have been hurting:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello BackInBlack,

I really no nothing about this sport "Shutzhund" (sp?)
If you don't mind I have a few question. I watched some videos online
of dogs doing this sport and some of the owners look like they are
really beating the crap out of the dogs. With a long black stick.
I'm no saying you do this. But do some people get carried away with it?
Or is the stick made out of some special material. Does it change the dogs
temperament? From the stuff I looked at online it looks a little harsh.
BUT like I said I don't claim to know anything about it.
This is a great place to learn and that's why I'm asking questions.:write:

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello BackInBlack,

I really no nothing about this sport "Shutzhund" (sp?)
If you don't mind I have a few question. I watched some videos online
of dogs doing this sport and some of the owners look like they are
really beating the crap out of the dogs. With a long black stick.
I'm no saying you do this. But do some people get carried away with it?
Or is the stick made out of some special material. Does it change the dogs
temperament? From the stuff I looked at online it looks a little harsh.
BUT like I said I don't claim to know anything about it.
This is a great place to learn and that's why I'm asking questions.:write:
The stick that they use is a padded stick, and it has a certian amount of "flex" in it. I'm not a dog, so I cant say that it doesnt hurt, but the area where they hit them is in the shoulder, it is an area with alot of muscle. They cant hit them on the spine, or the head or the stomach, or anything like that. Usually they make alot more noise than anything. Alot of "hey...or yelling" (It is the decoy..sometimes called the helper who is hitting the dog with the stick) Most pictures you see of Schutzhund dogs during the protection phase, you see the dog and the decoy, not the dog and the owner. For instance.....I am in none of the above pictures. That is all my dogs and the decoy. Even at a Schutzhund III level I think the dog only gets 4 stick hits. It is more "putting pressure/stress on the dog" than anything else. IMO they are not hurting the dog. Just seeing if the dog will hang in there under pressure or head for the hills.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a picture I took the other day of Coda working, you can see how much the stick bends. Like I said, it is more about putting pressure on the dog. Alot of dogs would be gonners if you waved a stick above them and even acted like you were going to hit them with it.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh......and Ziris IS getting so big! The first time I scanned through the pictures, the first one I posted of Ziris.......I thought was Rommel! That is Rommels harness she is wearing. I need to weigh her again. There is no telling what she weighs now. She is a little on the heavy side right now though, I need to get a few lbs off of her. I prefer to keep my dogs just a tad thin. My little puppy is no longer :( :( :(

1 - 20 of 72 Posts