Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and Harvey have a great time untill it comes to the point where i call him back..

I have a certain whistle which i do which he understands means 'come' back Harvey style ..yeah he 'comes back but at 90 miles and hour and doesn't stop just flies past and circles me as if to say 'now you have seen im here im off..see ya later!'

Sometimes he is fantastic and comes back at 90 miles and hour cirles to slow down and i crouch and he comes overto me i give him a huge amount of fuss kisses and love..other times like i said he just does his own thing.

He is 1 year old and i really really need to address this problem and get it sorted. Its not dangerous where we are ..we dont walk him near roads just in open farmland ..theres a field which is fenced in so great for training .

this is my village and all the fields to the left of the road are where i walk Harvey

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&lang=&pc=IP28+6PL

I have brought myself a very long lunge rein which they use for horses in preparation and a fridgefull of treats ..im ready and waiting i just dont know how the right way is to go about this training:help_up_2

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
IMO- for right now just start slow, short distances on a regular leash. With him positioned a ways in front of you and just start doing the recall and EVERY single time reward him AFTER he sits in front of you. (Even if you feel he is past that stage in training, it is important to go back to the basics when you need to correct a behaviour.) Don't reward until he does sit. Have the recall be not only does he return to you but he must sit in front of you before the exercise is completed and he receives a treat, or even say good dog or get excited.

From that move to longer distances still on leash so you are able to feed the line in as he comes to you and that way you have control of him to make him sit first.

I'd recommend going at this VERY slowly and take your time to really make sure it is clear in Harveys head before letting him loose again, as you are in a position where you not only need to train him a correct behaviour, you have to untrain the incorrect behaviour, which is more work. If you turn him loose again and he does not have it set in stone HOW he must preform the recall and he blasts past you again, it will have undone all the work you've put in yet so far.

This is training that if done correctly and with patience and diligence will last Harvey a lifetime!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Very good advice Jess! We have worked with Gracie just like Lexus posted. It has worked wonders with her. Every now and thens he will fly right past us all we do is give her the command again and she comes right to us and sits. Although she was not trained to sit when told to come. We added that in so she can be petted. :) It has worked great with her! Good luck on this.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you sooo much Lexus ..im gonna get started back to basics ..harveys gonna wonder what the hell is going on! :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah it excellent im completely i'm love with the place ..i have lived here for over 14 years now ..i could have moved away permantly but its a lovely environment to go walking and look at the nature plus michael gets the house for free with his job ..its like dog heaven :D

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Twinkletoes said:
yeah it excellent im completely i'm love with the place ..i have lived here for over 14 years now ..i could have moved away permantly but its a lovely environment to go walking and look at the nature plus michael gets the house for free with his job ..its like dog heaven :D

I'm sooo envious!!!! You lucky duck you!:) Lexy would LOVE that life!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im sure harvey would enjoy the company of a lady friend:dancing_b

Its is dog heaven ..open fields, rabbit holes to sniff ..there is a massive rabbit community here called a warren ..Harveys at his happiest trying to get the bloomin things but there just to fast for him lol:eatchicke . Theres sheep for him to make friends with but we have to be carefull of the cattle ..they dont take kindly to a dog sniffing their bums :D , streams to splash around in a beautifull woodland, lakes, hills to climb ..i better stop else i end up with dobie owners on my doorstep lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol graciesmom ~ 1st come 1st served :D

well i since i got the advice from lexus i have been taking harvey out every single time on the lead..it kinda shocked him and he struggled abit but i have also learned to use my voice when he mis-behaves instead of getting my hands in their trying to untangle the lead from his mouth and getting into a battle with harvey to stop whatever it is he is doing..its working wonders :).

He is already getting the idea of it as his re-calls are getting much better as i think he realises mums in charge now!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
This might help. We use the command "Here" with our recalls. Here means sit in front of me. When we do a recall and my girl is flying up to me at full speed, I use "Here" when she is getting close. I extend my arms out to my side, like those guys/gals at the airport bringing in a plane. The closer she gets, I bring my arms together in front of me, which she focuses on and makes her approach. Once she is in position, you can go right into the sit hand signal and they will sit. This has helped us out. My girl also has a strong recall. We made sure when we say "Come", she thinks the party is with us, so she runs like crazy, if we do not use "Here", she also will zoom pass us or for a great laugh, she uses me as a stopper, which ususally means she jumps on me. I either get pushed back or have the wind knocked out of me. It was funny the first time, but I kinda got old by the seventh time.

This has worked for us or maybe some variation of this.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Way to go Harvey!

Kratty, that is a great idea for "Here" I will have to work with Gracie on that. Knowing her though she will get confused.
We use the same command for Takira "Here" while using our right hand to pat our chest, she knows that is to come and sit down directly in front of us. Now if we just want her attention or to come and get petted we use a command "Tomai" that means she just has to come over to us and either stand or sit where she wants.

As for the long training lead it works I have used it but I found it to be very difficult to always have on her and I would have to watch her like a hawk to be sure she didnt get it tangled around anything in the yard. Now I use the E-Collar for recall, man does that thing work wonders. I love my E-Collar! I am going to be writing a short review soon on my experience with the E-Collar so far.

TD

TD

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Good mention about the recall Kratty! Lexy is german trained and our recall command for return and sit in front of me is Hier (he-ah), where our just basic "come over here with me" command is just comin.

Glad it is going well Twinkletoes, maybe a flexi would be good too as then you don't have to worry about catching up with excess line.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good point about the flexi lead..i never thought of using that..the lunge rein was quite a nuisance. i've got a huge one in the cupboard i'll have to dig it out :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts