Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday Gracie and I worked on her training for 10 minutes every 2 hours or so. She has been doing so much better this week, since I have really been working with her.

Well yesterday just before my husband got home she jumped on the deck and ran right behind me which she always does and then sits right at my side. Well yesterday, she did that except she forgot the sit part and she bit me, right on my hip/thigh area. It is nicely bruised today and hurts like hell. She just barely broke the skin. So yesterday after it happened I swore that next time she does that she can pack her bags and find a new home. Oh man was I mad. I have been working with her so hard and so much and then for her to turn around and do that to me? I don't think so. Well I would never get rid of my girl.

So I have been working on making a training schedule for the two of us. So today I started doing everything on the training list. Loose leash heels, sits, downs, stays, and so on. I know I get a little anxious at times and can send her the wrong signal. So I tied the leash around my waist and started from there. We just got done training for about 45 minutes. And let me tell you I have a new dog all over again. I never knew she could do a loose leash walk. I have been working on getting her to that point. So I figured I would try it today out in the backyard with all the neighbor dogs barking at us. She did perfect! So I worked on her recall. (That is her weakest command.) So I took the leash off and let her run around on her own for a few minutes. Every few minutes I would tell her to "come" she would come running up onto the deck and go right into a "sit/stay". I would release her and wait a few minutes and do it all over again. Every time she would come when called and turn around me and go right to my left side and sit.

Later on this summer I would like to get her, her CGC. So then I can take her into nursing homes around town.

I have one problem. When ever Gracie gets excited, she grabs your shirt, pants, shoes or what ever you have on that she can grab. Yesterday was no different except that she got me instead of my clothing. She has cut back on doing this so much but I just can't break her of it. The problem is, there is no warning when she is going to do it. I know it is when she gets excited. But how do I make her stop? Yesterday I was ready to throw her in the car and drive down to drop her off with Lexus. I was angry. :( Also she gets excited over the smallest things too. Getting food, the cats, outside, seeing her leash dangle, the wind blows or what ever. When she gets that excited should I just put her in a "down/stay" until I am ready? Also one more thing she only will grab you if your back is turned to her. When ever she throws a temper tantrum I turn my back on her. Which could be why she does this? Lol. Sorry for the long post. I hope it all makes sense to you. If you can help that would be great, if not that's fine too.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Da'Kari tried that with us too and we started putting her down every time. It takes consistancy to break her. She doesn't do it now.

If she nips, bites or whatever, put her down immediately and tell her a stern "no". She will get the point that it is unexceptable.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be trying that. I use to do that until she would run from me because she knew she was going to sit on the deck for 5 or 10 minutes until I cool down. I also use to be able to block the "Suprise Attacks" until she figured out that humans heads can't turn all the way around to watch her at all times.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I was at a friends house...and we were playing cranium...I was acting out like Charades...and next thing you know I feel this jab and scrape at my leg! I was like WHAT WAS THAT!!!! I turned around and realized it was the dog...I have never been bitten by a dog but it shocked me more than it hurt me. It sounds like the same bite that you are talking about GM...it was on the side of my back part of my thigh...and bruised pretty good.
Good thinking about going back and doing training. We take duchess to obedience class still once a week...just cause we all know Dobes love to train and learn new things. also its nice to keep things fresh :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts