Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used a Halti collar to train my dogs for walking on a leash. I've always had good results with them, except that every one of my dogs hated them. I see Ceasar Milan has a new design collar called the "Illusion" collar. The design is intriguing, looks like a good idea. Just curious if anyone else has used one...I'm thinking about trying one.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
I have no idea what he's pushing, but the Halti is really contraindicated in a breed that is genetically predisposed to neck/spine problems (CVI). I just cringe every time I hear of anyone using one on a Doberman.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have never seen this new Illusion collar. But I also despise Halti's. Maybe I'm just too old school. I prefer a nice choke chain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I guess the reason I like them is that it was the only way I could walk my dog on a loose leash. He knew he couldn't fight it. When I used a choker or a pinch collar he just bulled his neck and pulled like a maniac...LOL..... I really enjoyed our walks when I used the halti. I never had to use any force when I had that on. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I used a flat collar on Jasmine until she was older. I then tried the Gentle Leader and she was good on that for ahwile, didnt really pull. As she got older and stronger she was really pulling on it, she started to rip her mouth and it would leave dentations on the bridge of her nose. We have been working very hard training to walk on leash without pulling. I bought a prong collar not to long ago and this works really well for us. After having this collar for just a short time she mostly can be walked now on a flat collar. Maybe not when she is super fresh after a long sleep but in most cases she only needs the flat collar. I guess we have come full circle!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
From what I've seen, the Illusion collar (named after his wife, not it's magic qualities) works the same as a choke - it just has support to keep it high on the dogs neck. Not a bad idea, especially considering our dogs have long, slender necks and the collars like to slide down them.
I'm not overly impressed with Halti's, I know a lot of people who adore them but it looks like they could be very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing...

·
Banned
675 Posts
My Doberman Mic also pulled on all kinds of collars. I tried buckle, choke chain, martingale, prong/pinch, and Halti. He pulled in all of them injured his throat on the prong, fought the Halti as well as pulling on it. I had a private trainer come out who suggested the Gentle Leader instead of the Halti but thath didn't make any difference. She also suggested that I stop every time he pulled and wait for him to allow some slack in the leash. That didn't work either. She said she had never seen a dog stand with the leash tight for so long as he did.

What finally worked, that I found out about years later, was to stop when he pulled, but then to also wait until he made eye contact with me, give him a bridge word/clicker substitute and then give him a treat. He caught on to that very fast. Then I was able to walk him on a buckle collar.

With Monte I do the stopping when he pulls thing, but I don't need to also use treats, just stopping is enough for him to realize that if he pulls we stop walking, so he stops pulling.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Well you all know I will be checking out Cesar's collar - LOL :).

I switch between the Gentle Leader and the prong collar....Bumpy does not pull at all with the Gentle Leader....yet I feel with the prong that I am going to puncture him. My pittie only walks with the Gentle Leader and we have really long calm walks with her right by my side. My older boy walks right by my side with just a buckle collar, but he walks more to sniff and lift (as I call it).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I just looked it up. What made me chuckle is that the small collars are sold out.....if those people only knew the huge dogs we all walk :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
From what I've seen, the Illusion collar (named after his wife, not it's magic qualities) works the same as a choke -
What do you mean WIFE? He's married??? ~pouts~

I think the collar is pretty neat, I want to order one and try it!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
MandysBlackRoses, I want to share a cute story that will make you find Cesar even more adorable. When he finished training Callie, he and I took a walk along Melrose Avenue (which is popular street here in Los Angeles, with shops and restaurants) and he showed me how Callie could walk amongst great numbers of people. He told me about his tv show as it had not yet begun. His biggest concern was that he felt his English wasn't good enough and he was worried that he would say he instead of she, use plurals when he didn't need to, etc. I just found it so charming cuz here was this man that made such an impact in my life and many others, yet he was worried about his English. Sorry to get off topic, but I thought it was a sweet thing to share.

I am going to order the collar and see how it works with my Doberman instead of the gentle leader.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The harness Barn63 linked to looks a bit more practical than Mensa's:

At least the harness has a place to hook a leash.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We tried many different collars with our boy. Nothing seemed to keep him from pulling really. Then we bought a prong collar. That made a HUGE difference the very first time we used it. We still do, but only while walking.

I have found that many uneducated people on the use of collars...is kinda sad. I was surprised at how many people did not actually know the right way to use a prong/choker. I see it a lot while out walking my boys. Well normally, I haven't been able to walk them...I miss them, they are still not here with me just yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know everyone is discussing the halti and the "illusion" but what about the electronic collars that are used for training and for the undeground fence? My neighbor used it on her dog(a lab) and loved it. Someone else used it and it didn't work. My husband had a bad morning with our puppy and presented it to me and I'm on the fence about it. I'd love to hear any feed back.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I know everyone is discussing the halti and the "illusion" but what about the electronic collars that are used for training and for the undeground fence? My neighbor used it on her dog(a lab) and loved it. Someone else used it and it didn't work. My husband had a bad morning with our puppy and presented it to me and I'm on the fence about it. I'd love to hear any feed back.
Try starting a new thread with this question. I think there have been several discussions on this topic so you might try the search first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts