Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So Nani has started bitting. Even snarling a little.
i don't believe she is teething
This started happening after she got her cup (top of the head for ear cropping) and her donut (inflatable cone around her neck) taken off.

She even nips at faces. (licks too. i say good girl when she licks)
She hasn't drawn blood, but it still hurts.
I take that back i think Curtis was bit in the hand harder and bleed a tiny bit. once. more like a scrape really.

How we are training her not to bite.
Before she makes contact we give her one of her toys. if she takes it we say good girl.

If she ignores toy and goes for our hands. We put our hand out in the "stop" position, in her personal space, and firmly say "NO" if she stops we give praise and say good girl. no treats.

If she doesn't stop and makes contact we stand up and ignore her. for 1 minute. then i try again to see if she will bite again. repeat if necessary. praise once she stops.

IF SHE runs after and bites while walking away or if she doesn't stop and is not listening i will gently put my fingers around her muzzle and say no. Once she is calm i let go.

Anything we can do better or should we keep gong as is?

Sorry i havent had an update yet! been so busy with her and work

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture update! :)

Attachments

Reactions: ECIN and melbrod

·
Big Lil pup
6,120 Posts
Hi! Nani is acting like a typical Doberman pup. And don't worry, there is a good chance that she will eventually draw blood! LOL. Meadowcat gave you th "go-to" sticky here on DT on how to deal with the Dobe pup "Dobershark" phase. But there are a ton of other threads on the subject of nipping and mouthing. That is simply because many first time Dobe puppy owners are overwhelmed by the tenacity of these cute little critters,

Although I could never recommend this, I simply try to ignore the tiny wild creature trying to tear me apart. I lay in a good supply of bandaids and Neopsporin and wait for the activity to abate.

More sensible people use the advice in the above mentioned thread. You can mitigate this behavior if you are consistent.

Oh.. The worst thing that you can do is to grab their muzzle, which is probably the first thing that you want to do!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonderful! thanks so much :)

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Hi Nani , Great advice from the above posters . We have a 5 month old little bundle of joy , so just went threw what you are going threw now :grin2::grin2: All I will add it that this little girl was the most mouthy Dobershark we have ever had , she was terrible , she would be laying on my lap and from out of the blue go into a feeding frenzy on my wrist ! What worked the best for me when this happened I just got up and put her in her pin , Oh yeah - she would throw a fit for a few minutes and settle down - after a half hour or so , I would walk over to her and ask if I let her out - would she be a good girl ? It was amazing when she came out - she was a little angle - well for at a few minutes :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

Like the others have said - she will grow out of it , anyway all of ours have . Dobermans want to be close to us and the pin is the worse punishment you can give them - not to be with us - it don't take long that they will get it - I be nice , then I can get out of here , you know what I mean ?

We also have a 5 year old male and she always wants to mix it up with him - even at 2:30 in the morning ! I put her in her pin and it only takes a few minutes - I will open up the gate and say get to bed - she is a princess and walks over to her bed and lays down and goes to sleep . I will add that Mr. Business still don't trust her and lays there watching her to make sure he will not get attacked and that she really is asleep .

One other thing - I could not use any band-aids ! The little turd would then try and pull them off :grin2::grin2:

Welcome to the Doberman world ! :grin2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Nani , Great advice from the above posters . We have a 5 month old little bundle of joy , so just went threw what you are going threw now :grin2::grin2: All I will add it that this little girl was the most mouthy Dobershark we have ever had , she was terrible , she would be laying on my lap and from out of the blue go into a feeding frenzy on my wrist ! What worked the best for me when this happened I just got up and put her in her pin , Oh yeah - she would throw a fit for a few minutes and settle down - after a half hour or so , I would walk over to her and ask if I let her out - would she be a good girl ? It was amazing when she came out - she was a little angle - well for at a few minutes :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

Like the others have said - she will grow out of it , anyway all of ours have . Dobermans want to be close to us and the pin is the worse punishment you can give them - not to be with us - it don't take long that they will get it - I be nice , then I can get out of here , you know what I mean ?

We also have a 5 year old male and she always wants to mix it up with him - even at 2:30 in the morning ! I put her in her pin and it only takes a few minutes - I will open up the gate and say get to bed - she is a princess and walks over to her bed and lays down and goes to sleep . I will add that Mr. Business still don't trust her and lays there watching her to make sure he will not get attacked and that she really is asleep .

One other thing - I could not use any band-aids ! The little turd would then try and pull them off :grin2::grin2:

Welcome to the Doberman world ! :grin2::grin2:
love this! your post made me giggle. Im glad she is better now. Nani is not as bad as i thought!
Thank you for all the advice :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts