Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions to a good obidence trainer in the northern virgina/ DC area. I want to get Diesel registered so he can go as soon as he's old enough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm looking also. I've only found one in my area, and their schedule doesn't work for me. I need something during the day time. It's called All About Dogs and it was highly recommended to me. If your willing to drive to Woodbridge, it might be worth it for you. All their classes where in the evenings, and they have group and private lessons. I saw a few up in Arlington, but I hate driving up there. I want to get Sonya into therapy work when she's older so I really have to make sure she's well trained. Let me know if you find something good.

All About Dogs

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking also. I've only found one in my area, and their schedule doesn't work for me. I need something during the day time. It's called All About Dogs and it was highly recommended to me. If your willing to drive to Woodbridge, it might be worth it for you. All their classes where in the evenings, and they have group and private lessons. I saw a few up in Arlington, but I hate driving up there. I want to get Sonya into therapy work when she's older so I really have to make sure she's well trained. Let me know if you find something good.

All About Dogs
I'll check that out thanks for the link and I'll definitely let you know if I find any good ones. I'm thinking about having Diesel do schutzhund so I need to make sure of the same things that he's well trained but I haven't fully decided if I have enough time to devote to it :(

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's one I found in Chantilly.

The Enlightened Dog - Home

I've been looking all morning and I'm surprised how limited training is around here.
Yea I agree. I like all about dogs but it's too far and considering Diesel hates the car I'm not sure I want to drive him over and hour every week but I might just cause I really like them. I'm looking at a click Above which is very close to me and they were on a list that was suggested to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My pup started going to Performance Dogs at 10 weeks. ( http://www.performancedogs.net/ )

They started her off with some elderly dogs and another pup - basically doing socialization work and getting her used to different things and environments. They also did a great job of teaching her to walk on a leash.

She's almost 15 weeks now and is just about to start the obedience portion of her training. They do the basic commands (sit, stay, no, off) and the dog stays until they (and you) can do these with distractions. They do a lot of pack work too.

They pick up my pup every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at about 10:30am and she gets home about 3:30pm (completely pooped).

I'll be going every Saturday once shes had a few obedience weeks until we all decide she's done.

It was a one time payment of $1,100 -- not bad in my opinion and she'll stay until she and I are good to go.

They train on wood, concrete, grass, dirt, water (creeks, and a pool), etc. They try to get the dogs used to just about everything they'll come across out in the 'real world'. They have 5 acres in Sterling and 5 acres in Chantilly.

I'm not affiliated with these guys at all and don't get anything by posting. -- Just getting some info out there.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My pup started going to Performance Dogs at 10 weeks. ( Performance Dogs - Home )

They started her off with some elderly dogs and another pup - basically doing socialization work and getting her used to different things and environments. They also did a great job of teaching her to walk on a leash.

She's almost 15 weeks now and is just about to start the obedience portion of her training. They do the basic commands (sit, stay, no, off) and the dog stays until they (and you) can do these with distractions. They do a lot of pack work too.

They pick up my pup every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at about 10:30am and she gets home about 3:30pm (completely pooped).

I'll be going every Saturday once shes had a few obedience weeks until we all decide she's done.

It was a one time payment of $1,100 -- not bad in my opinion and she'll stay until she and I are good to go.

They train on wood, concrete, grass, dirt, water (creeks, and a pool), etc. They try to get the dogs used to just about everything they'll come across out in the 'real world'. They have 5 acres in Sterling and 5 acres in Chantilly.

I'm not affiliated with these guys at all and don't get anything by posting. -- Just getting some info out there.
Do you send her away somewhere? I think I got confused somewhere?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Not sure where you Virginians are exactly located:

A Click Above is supposed to be really good. I'm too far from Leesburg to make the drive so have never been there. Heard good things about it though.

Dulles Gateway Obedience was where I used to train 10 yrs ago....at Frying Pan Park and then also a location in Leesburg. They used to have upper level competitors/club members teach the basic classes. Frying Pan was outdoors so freezing in winter.

Barbara McKinney teaches at Colonial K9 in Stafford....I think her basic class is Wed nights. She is a really good AKC obedience trainer. Motivational for the dogs and handlers, competes very successfully herself in obedience.

My agility place in Amissville has a really good puppy kindergarten class. Mountain View Dog training in Amissville. Then they have Puppy agility, basic agility and on up. All very fun for dogs.

Other good agility place around here (west of Manassas) is supposed to be in Ruckersville, VA. They have open run days but I haven't gotten there yet.

Hope this helps! I am in the Warrenton area so don't go into the traffic if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am also in NOVA, but farther west. I'm about halfway between Leesburg and Winchester. I would like to take Torque to some obedience classes. I would love to be able to get him a Canine Good Citizen certificate. I was looking at Dulles Gateway Obedience (which was mentioned in the previous post but from 10 years ago). Does anyone have any more recent experience with them? Ellenm~ do you remember if you had a good experience with them other than it being cold at Frying Pan? (I know all about that, they have a cross country course for horses, so I've been there ;) ) It sounds like they have facilities that are pretty close to where I am now. There is no mention of Frying Pan Park on their website.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure where you Virginians are exactly located:

A Click Above is supposed to be really good. I'm too far from Leesburg to make the drive so have never been there. Heard good things about it though.

Dulles Gateway Obedience was where I used to train 10 yrs ago....at Frying Pan Park and then also a location in Leesburg. They used to have upper level competitors/club members teach the basic classes. Frying Pan was outdoors so freezing in winter.

Barbara McKinney teaches at Colonial K9 in Stafford....I think her basic class is Wed nights. She is a really good AKC obedience trainer. Motivational for the dogs and handlers, competes very successfully herself in obedience.

My agility place in Amissville has a really good puppy kindergarten class. Mountain View Dog training in Amissville. Then they have Puppy agility, basic agility and on up. All very fun for dogs.

Other good agility place around here (west of Manassas) is supposed to be in Ruckersville, VA. They have open run days but I haven't gotten there yet.

Hope this helps! I am in the Warrenton area so don't go into the traffic if I can avoid it.
I've looked into a click above cause I live in Leesburg so it would be perfect but I want to check out all my options first. Thank you for all these places. It's very helpful.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I am also in NOVA, but farther west. I'm about halfway between Leesburg and Winchester. I would like to take Torque to some obedience classes. I would love to be able to get him a Canine Good Citizen certificate. I was looking at Dulles Gateway Obedience (which was mentioned in the previous post but from 10 years ago). Does anyone have any more recent experience with them? Ellenm~ do you remember if you had a good experience with them other than it being cold at Frying Pan? (I know all about that, they have a cross country course for horses, so I've been there ;) ) It sounds like they have facilities that are pretty close to where I am now. There is no mention of Frying Pan Park on their website.
I guess they gave up Frying Pan when it underwent renovations to the horse barns.

I just checked their website....Maureen Taylor is a great lady (VP). I used to drive to her place for tracking practice eons ago. She had Shepherds and did Sch at that time. Also, Erich Rutschedit was an instructor when I trained there. He's been around for a while.

Looks as if they are a UKC obedience club now, but that should not make any difference in the basic training classes at all. I'd recommend you go and watch a class to see if it is a fit for you in the future. They used to offer very good basic instruction.

* Oh..edit to add.....there is a Blue Ridge Dog Training place that is in Winchester. Supposed to be good. I've only been to their competitions but they are a dedicated group of obedience people. Worth checking out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts