Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male doberman, he is 6 months old and I want to train him how to scent track (as in give him the scent you want him to track)

Does anyone else do this? Or know any sites, books, video's etc that show you how to train them in this field?

I already have the Schutzhund book! :)

Cheers,
Keith

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
What sort of tracking do you want to do exactly? I've got a few really good book references for non-schutzhund tracking, including one written by a man who trains Dobes and has a number of tracking champions in Aussie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for late reply! Been very very busy with my other pets! lol

And im quite embarrased to say it in this context but I don't know what its called, like when you let the dog sniff the scent, like from an object, from the ground or from a person and track it, whats that called? If it has a specific field

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts

And im quite embarrased to say it in this context but I don't know what its called, like when you let the dog sniff the scent, like from an object, from the ground or from a person and track it, whats that called? If it has a specific field
That's tracking, when they are following a scent on the ground.

There are a few different types of tracking though, dependent on what sort of venue you are trialling in. Schutzhund/IPO tracking is a little different to working trials tracking, which is different to Search & Rescue tracking which is different to bloodhound trailing.

It's all pretty much all the same in terms of what the dog is doing (following a scent), but it's scored differently (or in the case of SAR not scored but you are saving someone's life!) so you train a bit differently.

If I remember correctly you were in the UK?? If so, you guys have working trials tracking, which is what we have here in New Zealand (and what I am training my puppy in)... which you ran read about here! > Working Trials - Real Dogs

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts

I think that taking a scent from an object, and then finding and following the scent on the ground would be man-trailing. The Bloodhound club offers man-trailing titles, but I'm not sure if other breeds are eligible. In AKC tracking, the track starts with a "scent pad", a small area of extra-scented ground, left by the track-layer, and the dog picks up the scent from that.

Disco, Working Trials sound interesting. I wonder if there is anything like that here in the States? Guess I'll have to investigate.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think that taking a scent from an object, and then finding and following the scent on the ground would be man-trailing. The Bloodhound club offers man-trailing titles, but I'm not sure if other breeds are eligible. In AKC tracking, the track starts with a "scent pad", a small area of extra-scented ground, left by the track-layer, and the dog picks up the scent from that.

Disco, Working Trials sound interesting. I wonder if there is anything like that here in the States? Guess I'll have to investigate.

No Working Trials in north america. The Working Trial Association in the UK is called (and I am not even joking) ASPADS - no idea what it stands for. The WT people amazing trackers, find some of them!

Good tracking books to look up, Ed Presnall's book, videos' by steve white, Joanne Flemming Plumb. Altho with any of the IPO tracking you will be limiting yourself if you plan to do UK WT work. WT work is usually much faster, and they go quite far distances.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are many certifications you can get...

There are many certifications you can get with your dog.

I have been involved for many years in training Police Canines. It is essential that you realize this is training for you and your dog as a handler.

I am currently working on a training facility once again to train dogs and handlers.

Here are some places you can check out if you are interested in search and rescue.

Here is a Web site where you can find links to the sites I've listed before. Search and Rescue Dogs

Also at the bottom of that page there are numerous books listed to help you with your search for the proper training techniques.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

National Assocation for Search and Rescue (NASAR) - Dog Section
GREAT website. The fact sheet has good information about the duties of the search and rescue dog team.

American Rescue Dog Association
The first search dog organization in America.

North American Search Dog Network (NASDN)
Provides search dog resources for its members.

UNITED STATES Search and Rescue Task Force - Dogs In Search & Rescue

California Rescue Dog Association (CARDA)
The CARDA provides dog teams for searches throughout CA. It also trains the dogs and organizes tests for search teams.

Idaho Search and Rescue Dogs, Inc. (ISARD)
A non-profit organization that provides search dog teams in the Idaho.

K-9 ONE Search and Rescue of Michigan
Volunteer driven, professionally trained search organization serving the state of Michigan and the Great Lakes region.

Maine Search and Rescue Dogs (MESARD)
Good website with some good photos, like the following:

K-9 Alert Search and Rescue Dogs, Inc.
A Virginia-based association of search and rescue (SAR) dog groups.

Disaster And Wilderness Ground Searchers, Inc. (D.A.W.G.S.)
"Disaster and Wilderness Ground Searchers, Inc. is a volunteer search unit dedicated to the training of search and rescue dogs, handlers and support personnel in order to provide professional and highly-skilled search and rescue teams in the event of emergency response situations."

Chesapeake Search And Rescue Dog Association
"The Chesapeake Search and Rescue Dog Association is mobilized and organized to promote the education, safety and awareness of the general public, as well as provide all possible support for the other search and rescue resources within the region."

Canine Aided Emergency Search & Rescue (C.A.E.S.A.R.)
Nice website. This organization is located in Pennsylvania.

K-9 Response Search & Rescue
An organization made up of highly trained volunteers and their dogs who search out lost persons on land or in water.

For other state associations, go to NetPets - Rearch and Rescue. This has a table of all 50 states with links to the SAR's in the area. Very organized and very good website!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts