Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed Blade up for an "Intro to Tracking" course and I am trying to figure out what type of harness is best suited for AKC style tracking. The course does not start for several weeks and I am completely new to the sport so any suggestions would be most appreciated. Also, I have done a little reading on the subject but if anyone has any recommended books/videos that would be quite helpful.

This is what he does ~75% of the time when he is in the back yard, so tracking seems like a logical job for him. Rabbits and squirrels must be stopped!:)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
lol I wish i could get into tracking...That looks like Duchess too. She loves agility...but some days she would smell the weave polls up and down instead. lol There doesnt seem to be a tracking class offered close by me...so I wish I knew more about tracking to help but I dont :(
He is going to do great :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I got one of those too!!! Nose always stuck to the ground :)

Baccara has her FH2 and is a tracking freak! I do schutzhund tracking though, so not a much help for AKC tracking. In schutzhund harnesses aren't used that often and if they are, they go around the waist and guide the line between the back two legs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Blade did his CGC there and we had a good time. He is still a little randy on the leash when meeting new dogs so I am going to do their leash manners class just to brush up prior to starting the tracking class. He has his CGC but some days he decides he does not particularly care to be a "good citizen" and would rather see how many ways he can embarrass his dad.

I just looked and the class doesnt start until 9/9. It is the "Tracking Foundation I" class that meets sundays AM. They give a 10% discount to rescues which I thought was great.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds fantastic! Have a great time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I can't wait for my Rock to get older. I want to do so many things with him but patience is a virtue right? He starts puppy classes on the 18th of July so I guess that's a start.

·
Premium Member
10,614 Posts
I can't wait for my Rock to get older. I want to do so many things with him but patience is a virtue right? He starts puppy classes on the 18th of July so I guess that's a start.
My very best tracking dog started at 10 weeks and the folks I tracked with told me that generally dogs started on the basics as puppies tend to be much more able trackers that dogs started as adults.

You can teach nearly any dog to track--it's because it's such a natural thing for most of them to do (I wouldn't recommend trying teaching tracking to a sight hound as your first attempt at training for tracking though--<VBG>) and puppies just plain learn faster and seem to retain it better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts