Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we went to the park and had a few high value treats to work on very very long sit stay, down stay, long distance fronts etc, but I thought I'd mix it up and have him 'search' for the treats. I tied him to the fence, to where he could not see me while I took a piece of hot dog and sort of 'rubbed it' along the ground in an unusual path, then hid the bag under a tree about 30ft away or so. I grabbed his leach from the fence and told him 'find it!' and pointed to the ground, and he took OFF. I've never seen him sniff so intently/quickly, and he even followed my looped paths (I did a serpentine, to a right turn, around atree), right to the hot dogs. I've also never seen his tail raised that high. It usually remains about a 60 degree angle, but it was completely perpendicular to his back while he was sniffing it out.

Because he seemed to enjoy it so much (and is only food motivated), I'd like to continue doing some for fun. The local kennel club has a 'tracking series' of classes every fall, but there are hardly any trainers in the area. Besides that, I'm still trying to recuperate from his vet bills, so formal lessons at the moment will be sparse. Does anyone have any tips for fun tracking games, laying a scent, etc?

I did also do fun nosework with him in the house with boxes etc, but he didn't seem quite as interested in that as he did outdoors 'on a scent trail', so I'd really like to try to get him out more on some scents!

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
I know there are several books about training tracking, but don't know the titles, right off hand. Have you ever checked out a website called bowwowflix.com? They are a rental service like NetFlix, but for dog trainig DVDs. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of tracking/scentwork titles the last time I was on there. Even if you don't find one, they have lots of obedience/rally titles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The two books recommended to me were:

"Tracking Dog Theory & Methods" by Glen Johnson (very good if you are serious about tracking) and
"Fun Nosework for Dogs" by Roy Hunter. I haven't used the suggestions in that book as much since we had already been enrolled in Nosework classes for months when I ordered the book. The book includes information on basic Nosework training, scent discrimination, searching for people, and some information about tracking.

Ordered them from Amazon in paperback.

I believe there are DVDs on Nosework for sale on the Leerburg web site but I don't know how expensive (or how good) they are.

·
Premium Member
10,150 Posts
The Johnson book is excellent for training tracking. But even though it starts out explaining tracking theory it's aimed a little more at someone who has some tracking under their belt.

One that I like for the total novice is Sandy Ganz & Susan Boyd's "Tracking From the Ground Up". It was published in 1990 by Show-Me Publications, St Louis, Missouri.

Both of these publications are aimed more at AKC or CKC tracking than Schuzhund tracking. And the two are rather different. Any book on Schuzhund will give you the idea of how to approach that. It's rather more stylized than AKC.

Also do a search on the training forums because there are several good threads on tracking, training and problem solving. But the books are a good starting point since they will help you properly lay track for your dog and give you advice on how to proceed from the beginning to the end--which is hopefully a trained tracker.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I like "try tracking: the puppy tracking primer"
dogwise.com has a few good tracking books and e-books

Reactions: Asmit

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Johnson book is excellent for training tracking. But even though it starts out explaining tracking theory it's aimed a little more at someone who has some tracking under their belt.

One that I like for the total novice is Sandy Ganz & Susan Boyd's "Tracking From the Ground Up". It was published in 1990 by Show-Me Publications, St Louis, Missouri.

Both of these publications are aimed more at AKC or CKC tracking than Schuzhund tracking. And the two are rather different. Any book on Schuzhund will give you the idea of how to approach that. It's rather more stylized than AKC.

Also do a search on the training forums because there are several good threads on tracking, training and problem solving. But the books are a good starting point since they will help you properly lay track for your dog and give you advice on how to proceed from the beginning to the end--which is hopefully a trained tracker.
That was the 3rd book that was recommended to me. I hadn't ordered that book yet and couldn't remember the title. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts