Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7-year-old Dobie (110 lbs) has a ruptured cruciate - surgery looks like the best option. I'm desperate for insight and welcome any feedback on the best approach. (And, yes, he is on a diet.) Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry about that. Caleb is our dog. He's active, playful, and good-natured. We want to make the right choice for him.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Short answer? Let the surgeon should choose. Which one will give your dog the best chance at a normal life?

At his size, personally, a TPLO. TTA plates are typically not appropriate for a dog his size, and the tightrope is questionable if that will hold for a dog his size. I've seen them re-rupture the line in large dogs, none of my surgeons will perform that on a large dog.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
My GSD weighed just under that and he had TPLO. It is a good solid repair but you need a board certified surgeon that has had lots of experience.

Losing the weight will be very important, as it may help improve the odds of the second knee going. Carson had his done in Sept 2010 and so far the other knee is holding up.

The first vet I had was going to do the tightrope, and I am SO glad I did my research and went with the TPLO. You will find threads on here about failed tightrope procedures in dobes that weigh far less than yours.

Good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Short answer? Let the surgeon should choose. Which one will give your dog the best chance at a normal life?
I agree with Doberkim 100%. My guy had the TTA procedure in January. Once we had decided on either TTA or TPLO, I left the choice up to the surgeon.
And please go to a board certified surgeon. Even though a non-board certified surgeon can perform these surgeries, the peace of mind is priceless! I also delayed making a surgery appointment until I checked out the surgeon's references...through vet friends, agility friends, other dog sport friends. Like I said, peace of mind.

That being said, recovery hasn't been easy on any of us. My boy is just 2 years old, is extremely active and we train in ob and agility. He has a lot of muscle wasting in the operated leg. He's also now started this weird thing where he kicks the knee out to the side when he walks. Xrays looked normal, everything seems to be right on schedule so maybe he's compensating for the lack of muscle.

Doberkim- do you know of any large size agility/ sport dogs that had this type of injury and went on to compete again?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i know of a 45-50 lb aussie that finished her OTCH (I think she had a TPLO, not a TTA).
i know of a larger male chesapeake that had bilateral TPLO's and went on to finish his OTCH.
i know of a male BC (about 50 lbs) that had a TPLO and is currently working towards his OTCH and MACH - has a UD and MX/MXJ.

thats just off the top of my head with local people.

all these dogs got titles and finished CH's after their surgeries.

the most important thing after ANY surgery is starting post-op physical therapy ASAP - rehabilitation is crucial.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2 yr old Dober Girl needs surgery but want to know major difference TPLO vs TTA...tightrope I will not do to much a chance of re-injury! She is a BYB pup and I expected some issues but not this....she's insured so thank god for my advance planning. She's spoiled girl vitamin e and CoQ10 daily along with a extra strength glucosamine chew! High quality food active girl!!! We do swim therapy and are on very limited activity til surgery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts