Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering what are some toys that everyone ueses that are "doberman proof" Most toys I get my boy are destroyed within 5 min of him playing and chomping I have tried the kong brand toys and he likes the balls they make and I tried the "tough " ones and they were missing the skin and split into pieces fast! so what are some toys that everyones buddies play with and dont get destroyed within a day of playing or does such toy exist ?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Large jolly ball, but it's for outside as they could do some damage slinging it. It's hard if you have a tough chewer. Have you tried the heavy duty Kong?

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
What Linda said! Jolly ball! And it's def. an outside toy! The jolly ball has lasted for a long time now. The rope not so much, but I just get a new rope at Ace and string it through then tie it off.

Jasmine loves her jolly!

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
9 Posts
We've had great luck with the Chuck-It Glow balls...quite affordable online. The medium and large are big enough to not be swallow hazard. These typically last 4-5 weeks before Kody starts working at a tear in the holes. These keep him occupied for hours!

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
My guys love the Chuck it glow balls. By far their favorite toy. They chew on them like bubblegum.

Kong Safestix are also popular around here.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: mommyblaze3

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
The only thing we have found to be completely "Dobie Proof" .....

I laughed, still laughing....

Chuck it balls are the only 'toys' he hasn't been able to destroy. He's tried. Love jolly balls but he eventually makes a mess with them as well.

Rope toys don't do well in this house and I worry about him ingesting it (he can chew a knot off in under 5 min).

Trial and error with each dog really.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Black Kongs, I have had a ball in the back yard for about 40 years now hard plastic use to give them to lions it use to have a screw in it so you could put water or sand in it but the screw has been gone for many years now. Buddy does still kick it around with his front legs still rolls, An Eggie still good, Hurly bone lasts quite a while,Is hard to find something they cannot destroy.

·
Mara's daddy
10 Posts
My Mara loves tennis balls but those only last for minutes.
I've found out that Penn Championship Exra-Duty Felt balls lasts a little bit longer. Although the balls can break in the inside, the felt resists the puishment and mantain the form of the ball. At least for a while.

The Kong Heavy Duty Goodie Bone is quite strong and it lasts long. Until eventually she breaks it.

Really hard rubber balls works quite well. She plays a lot with them. I have some balls with little spikes in them. She bites off the spikes but she doesn't break the ball.

Rope bones give me good results, at least for a while. At the end, she manages to cut the rope.

When she was smaller I used to give her tree branches or small logs. She turned them into sawdust after a week.

Once in a while I buy her what we call "Hueso manzano" (Apple tree bone) wich is a cow's femur. I cook the bone, boiling it for a long time and let it cool down. (Then I use the broth to make an awesome soup XD) She loves that bone. She eats all the meat and cartilage in one or two days. The she bites the bone for a couple of weeks. Then I throw it to the trash because it ends up all dirty.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
FYI: tennis balls are pretty bad for tooth enamel. they act like little brillo pads on the teeth, wearing the enamel off.

supposedly the dog-safe ones are fine on enamel but i don't trust them, so we don't keep them in the house.

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,911 Posts
The Kong Wubba. It's pretty hardy (so far). Not sure how an adult dog would like it but my pup gets hours of entertainment from it.

·
Mara's daddy
10 Posts
FYI: tennis balls are pretty bad for tooth enamel. they act like little brillo pads on the teeth, wearing the enamel off.

supposedly the dog-safe ones are fine on enamel but i don't trust them, so we don't keep them in the house.
Oh, I did not know that. Thnaks for that information.
Im going to be more carefull with those balls.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can anyone recommend me toys that have a branch-like texture or that kind of feel like wood? My girl is going thru her teething phase and her most favorite chew toys are branches and edges of our wooden coffee table lol. She doesn't like any of the Nylabone products. I think rope toys and stuffed animals are her second favorite, but she wouldn't trade off branches against those.

Sorry I realized this wasn't necessary the right thread to post my question, but I can't delete the post so will just leave it here. And Banditsdad, that picture is hilarious!!! Couldn't agree more with you:)

·
Registered
421 Posts
The black kongs are really the only thing thats not been destroyed here!

The cattle dog chews anything and we use the real horse jolly balls and while they are punctured they keep going.

Also love elk antlers. They last a long time. Have heard some say they break teeth but I have never experienced that.

I vistited a friend once with two chesapekes(sp?) and they were sitting at the end of his driveway chewing on a big stone. He said they had done that since they moved there and they had literally chewed the rock down. I tried to get them to chase a ball and they just kept chewing on the rock, weirdest interaction or lack of I ever had with dogs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Kong

Kongs come in all shapes and sizes and can last for a long time. I have the same toys in different colors, different shapes and from knock-off brands. They are great and you can stuff them with all kinds of things.

I really recommend Kong toys most are educational and is fairly indestructible. But beware of products stating they can be "ingested" safely. This DOES NOT mean they can be digested successfully. If they start to crack or come apart - TOSS THEM. Some of the things I stuff my Kongs with are peanut butter or I will toss a Kong in the freezer with water inside instead of the more expensive Kong fillers. Dobies love the peanut butter and will spend hours chewing and playing with the Kongs.

I don't know why Dobies love this toy, but they do. They don't chew the feet off and they love to chomp on it all day. Several of our puppy owners have told me this is the only toy they would grab if the house is on fire and they could only save one toy. Again, this toy is for older Dobies. The pups don't really enjoy them until they turn about a year old. Make sure to watch your Dobie to make sure they don't CHEW THE FEET off. Also, don't get one that is too small for your Dobie's mouth. My Dobies love to chomp the head of this toy in their mouth to exercise their jaws. You will want this toy to be pretty big. ***Remember, if it fits all the way in your Dobie's mouth it is too small!! You want it to be bigger than a tennis ball and too big to fit into the back of their throat.

This ball seems to live up to it's name of "Everlasting" for some reason. You can either buy the treats that go inside them or not. Dobies play with this toy even if there isn't a treat inside. And it isn't an expensive toy like some of the other tough toys.

9.) Tuffy Dog Toys.

These toys act like a stuffed toy (Dobies become tough chewers after one year of age) and these toys even include a squeaker!! I highly recommend the ones rated "9" and "10."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jolly Ball

Dobies love the big Jolly balls. It's an approx 8" ball with a handle. They will chase it for hours and loves to squeeze it! They will eventually chew a hole in it and I have to replace it but they last for quite a while considering how much she plays with them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deer antlers
I've never tried one but I hear they are pretty indestructible!

Reactions: mommyblaze3
1 - 20 of 37 Posts