Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not help myself today and went and bought some toys for the pup. Here is what I brought home...

Puppy Kong - Large
Wolf Size Nylabone
Hard Core Firehose (Made from real fire hose material)
Orka Jack Chew toy
2 stuffed animals that came with squeeky tennis balls inside.

I also bought a gate for the kitchen. All toys were on sale and the gate was also pretty cheap. I found all products at Pet Supply House in Guelph, Ontario. These guy's are alot cheaper than most pet stores and for anyone in the U.S. they make it pretty easy to order.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I could get for a new pup. Also, are the above toys o.k.??

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sounds like you are getting good and ready for that bundle of cuteness to come home. Unless you have a serial stuffie killer it looks like you are well prepared. If you have a serial stuffie killer then not only will the stuffie's die the Hard Core Firehose will too LOL. Mine demolished the firehouse stuff in a matter of minutes.

You gotta get her a ball and a Frisbee, I think most Dobes love both of those. Kong makes a good limber frisbee that holds up pretty good.

This is a cool ball that my dogs LOVE!! You can put treats inside it and it is pretty tough. Mine have had there's for a few months now, that is a long stay for a toy in my household. It is called a Ho-lee Roller

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DaKari, I forgot I also got a couple of Kong balls. Seem's like most of the dobermans are serial stuffie killers!! I also bought a "cat kingdom" ya know one of those things that cats can climb, hide in, and escape from the pup. I don't know what they are really called, they are made of wood and carpet. Thanks for the websites. I would love to have a dog that loves playing frisbee. I will have to get one!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Even though the Toys may be a little big at first, sounds like you are on the right track. I would get a "chilly bone" for teething, and maybe some of the ropes. Lots of stuff to chew on was the key here. As long as they have toys, they leave my stuff alone. Fair trade off to me! The "Air Kong" toys have been a big hit here also. They look like Tennis Balls, but they come in all different shapes. Like Rommel has the long tube looking one, the Large Bone, a "Jack" they make all kinds...and it takes a while to destroy them.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yes the kong frisbee works great for us to...but just dont leave any frisbee lying around cause they will start to think it is to chew on lol.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
DaKari, we have a ball simular to that, and mine love it as well. I havent seen the Kong Frisbee, Im gonna have to go get one!!! I think Kong makes very durable, good quality pet toys.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
and anything that they might one day kill like stuffies...they can still have them...just watch closely when they are playing with it and the second they start making a hole retire them.
lol and from learning from duch...make sure to try to teach "give" early lol

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did get a large bottle of bitter apple!!! I also bought a treat pouch, ceramic dog bowl, a couple of ropes...the list goes on. TracyJo, I have never had children so I feel that this is kinda like bringing home a new baby LOL. My friends want to have a puppy shower for me LOL. This is good because things are starting to add up!!:)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Just be warned: Some dogs like the Bitter Apple!!!! (Rommel Did) He would lick it off whatever I sprayed it on, then again, he loves Granny Smith Green Apples....go figure.

I had to use Hot Peppers to keep him off of stuff.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BIB, do you mean the toys I bought are to big for a 8 week old puppy?? And what is a chilly bone, something you can freeze? The stuffies I got have the air kong balls in them and I also got one that is shaped like a "jack"

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You've got the right idea, Okie-Dobie.

Having a variety of toys for your Pup will make it less likely he will chew/tear up anything he isn't supposed to.

Mensa has most of those toys, and so far she hasn't chewed up one thing she shouldn't.

I like the NylaBone because when it's chewed up it seems to break down into tiny pieces. Less likely to choke her.

Mensa's on Fire Hose #2. Her second one's holding up fine. Katie got a hold of Fire Hose #1 and shredded it in about a half-hour!

Mensa's Puppy Kong is wearing well, mainly because she rarely plays with it. Even with the Kong Liver Treats crammed inside. Maybe I'll give that one to Katie or the other Dogs if Mensa continues to ignore it.

Something real cheap that Mensa loves is an empty two-liter pop bottle. She gets more play time out of those than almost anything else. I will smash all the air out of one, then screw the lid on to keep it crushed, and one is left as-is, with the top tight so it stays "inflated".

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BIB, it is a large size puppy kong, so it is kinda small.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chaz, it's kinda funny that we spend all this money on toys and then there most enjoyment comes from a pop bottle..go figure! Do you guy's rotate the toys? Or when you find one that works you stay with that?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
All Mensa's toys are scattered around the room here. She can choose the one she wants to play with. She does a good job of rotating them.

Something else Mensa gets to "play" with is junk mail. All the things most normal people run through the shredder I give to Mensa to tear up.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also bought those things that keep the kitchen cupboard doors closed. The ones people install for their kids. Do they really work? Also, do I need something for the fridge to keep it closed?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:3dbiggrin Chaz, your not serious are you??

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Soon your house will filled with toys. I had the same issue with the bitter apple. Some dogs do like the taste of it. Doodle would lick every spot it was sprayed on. Of course he eats the apples off of the tree in the back by the buckets also. I tried the peppers with not much luck. Wierd dog loved the taste of hot peppers.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
I also bought those things that keep the kitchen cupboard doors closed. The ones people install for their kids. Do they really work? Also, do I need something for the fridge to keep it closed?
I use them mainly for my cats. Haven't had a problem yet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts