is there such a thing
what if I line the crate with towels...is that safe
I do not trust any bedding--when SParky was young
he chewed the hell out of any stuffing

what about some raw hide chew toys ???

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Kongs are pretty safe - that's the only thing that ever gt left in Dreizehn's crate.
Dog beds or human blankets and towels are all bedding - I wouldn't leave the pup with any of that stuff while unattented until you feel that he/she won't rip them up.

I would not recommend rawhide because it can be very unsafe.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh I know I read somewhere earlier where a person bought their dobe a HORSE toy
that supposedly is tough but the dog was ripping it up

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe I can get him some hay

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
No rawhide.

No towels or blankets.

Poor little puppies.

I try to take a week off work (or 2) when I first get a puppy and then they get to go into their crates when I am working on the computer and they are very tired so they sleep. I give them comfortable blankets when I am there. I have otherwise used an ex-pen with heavy matting - like what you put in a horse stall - inside the vari-kennel (with door removed).

I currently have a destroyer of padding pup who will be 1 yr tomorrow. If left in crate during daylight, she will rip everything to pieces. That's why she is not crated during the day but I built her an indoor run and a Kuranda bed (unchewable so they say). At night she is tired and sleeps without destruction on her folded quilt which is on top of a mat made for people who stand at their desks - it fits the crate beautifully. She also (for some reason) is very well-behaved in her soft crate at training classes, even before she participated.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Orka jack in a large. It's outlasted and been more loved than any Kong's here.
Extra large nylabones (the hard plastic) or big antlers.

Tough generally indestructible things that are large enough in proportion to the pup to not be a choking risk at all. No bedding, even newspaper has to be tested to see if she eats it...bedding is earned not a right for a puppy. Major safety risk.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a giant soft crate...I bought a cushiony thick blamket and put it UNDER the crate
so there is some padding but not edible

BUT some other dobe owners told me their dobe CHEWED OUT OF THE CRATE and
they had to get metal...we shall see...:rolleyesww::confused:

·
Got mutt?
13,769 Posts
Fabric crates are NOT recommended for puppies. Or diggers. Or chewers.

Get either a plastic airline kennel or a good sturdy wire crate (Midwest Metals is a good brand). As for bedding, Lucky and lka were fine with a nice soft bed, while Leo will chew anything and everything left in her crate, plus anything she can reach through it. :rolleyesww:

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,288 Posts
I have a wire crate for an adult dog and a plastic crate for a puppy, and access to a plastic adult crate if I so choose. I've never had a dog that could be contained by a soft "crate"... that thing would be destroyed in an hour!

Repeating kongs with tasty frozen goodness while unsupervised. Skoll got a recreational bone while I was able to supervise but wanted to focus on homework so needed something to keep him busy, frozen of course to make him work a little harder at it. He was a gulper so I had to make sure everything was big enough that he couldn't swallow it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a giant soft crate...I bought a cushiony thick blamket and put it UNDER the crate
so there is some padding but not edible

BUT some other dobe owners told me their dobe CHEWED OUT OF THE CRATE and
they had to get metal...we shall see...:rolleyesww::confused:
My crazy dachshund chewed out the hard plastic crate and had to get a metal wire crate that dog was fierce.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is the wonder of having an elderly dog...very calm and no chewing
I am already exhausted from this puppy and have not even gotten him yet
:D THIS IS HIM OR ONE OF HIS LITTERMATES--do you think he looks like a chewer ??

Attachments

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,263 Posts
This is what we use for our two Dobes, Spock, a power chewer and Eva, our power shredder:

1. Wire crates, NW brand
2. Kuranda Crate Beds
3. Ray Allen Syntek Dog Bed atop Kuranda (padding removed courtesy of Eva)
4. Large size Nylabone Durachews (only toy we put in crates with Dobes) :)

·
Registered
6,759 Posts

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mmm well I got Sparky at six months -he did chew
but I have never had a puppy
and you guys are making me nervous
I read a thread where the Doberman was eating wood
another chewed thru a horse toy that was supposed to be chew proof
others chewing thru crates--heard that from several people
point being --now I am paranoid about chewing...what am I getting myself into ;):confused::rolleyesww:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought that I would see if Zildjian was old enough for a bed in his crate at 8 months.........I bought a "heavy-duty" canvas material bed and I was so proud that he didn't eat it the first night.

The picture is the next day when I came home from work;) .................finally I was able to put a blanket in his crate when he was about 16 months old :)

Attachments

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ha...that is a funny pic
it just seems if we have been to the moon
we should be smart enough to make a puppy bed...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts