Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, negligent owner that I am, I'm home sick and sitting on the couch, blissfully ignoring my Doberman... as you can imagine, this does not please him. To show his displeasure, Kaiser has begun retrieving toys and dropping them on me. First, he grabbed the two tennis balls and tug rope that were here in the living room and dropped them on me.

But then... then he started leaving the room and coming back with toys - but that's not all! These are toys that I haven't seen in months, toys I'd just assumed were lost to the bowels of my house, trapped somewhere under furniture, whatever. I had given up all hope of ever seeing these toys again. But, alas! Here they are!

And now there are eight toys on/around me as I sit here typing this message (still ignoring my pesky dog ;)).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever trained their dog to find hidden toys?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Birgitte is very good at tracking her ball outside. I often throw the ball into tall grass or a bush, and she finds it every time. She also finds other balls that are hidden. It probably helped that I did some tracking training with her as a puppy. But now it's a super fun game for her.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Oh, yes! That is one of Kyrah's favorites! I think I found that in the 101 tricks book.

ETA: I guess I should have said she doesnt acutally track it. I hide it in a certain rooom and she searches for it.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Ooh, we play this game a lot at my house!

It helps the randomization factor to have ferrets that like to steal and hide (and then randomly move) dog toys... :p

I'd love to teach Delta to identify different toys (Or shoes, she loves to bring us shoes. Usually an odd number without a matched set in the bunch. :rolleyesww:). I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I'm not sure how to start going about teaching it... I'll be watching this thread with you in hopes maybe one of the more experienced trainers will chime in!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Ooh, we play this game a lot at my house!

It helps the randomization factor to have ferrets that like to steal and hide (and then randomly move) dog toys... :p

I'd love to teach Delta to identify different toys (Or shoes, she loves to bring us shoes. Usually an odd number without a matched set in the bunch. :rolleyesww:). I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I'm not sure how to start going about teaching it... I'll be watching this thread with you in hopes maybe one of the more experienced trainers will chime in!
I am no expert but this is how I began to teach Kyrah. She would be standing next to me and I would put a treat on the floor and say "find it." She would then get it and I would say "yay, good girl." I kept doing this and then slowly put the treat further and further away from her and eventually out of sight in the other room but pretty much right in the middle of the floor. Before releasing her into the other room I would tell her "find it." She would go happily into the other room and see the treat on the floor and get it. I then would be playing tug with her and her stuffie. I would put her in a sit/down stay and go and hide the toy. I then did the same thing put it in plain sight in the other room. Then I started hiding it more and more. I keep it to one room. ex. living room, dining room or bedroom.

I hide the one I show her before we start. I have also used a leather glove that she seems to love. We also play it at the school with hubby, myself and her. We go to the school and one of us takes her while the other hides in an area that the other knows. Then we text each other to let us know we are ready. We then walk her towards that area and say "find mom/dad" She lights up and off she goes! She loves this game especially! We rarely even use treats for this game anymore finding us alone is a reward for her or now that I am thinking I guess I dont for the other either she just loves finding it. I just play tug with whatever she has found.

Not sure if that is correct but thats how I taught Kyrah.

In order to teach her to distint between toys IMO would be to teach the name of the toy. Such as Kyrah has her jolly ball that I call "jolly", her tennis ball I call "ball" and her stuffie I call "stuffie." I am not sure she knows the difference b/c its normally sitting right in front of her. But when I say slipper she knows the difference b/c there are a few pair of shoes in the closet and she always comes back with my slippers. When I forget to put them back she is somewhat confused and may bring a tennis shoe. But I notice she keeps circling like I know this isnt right.

I would start by saying the name of the toy by itself then after you think she knows it. I would put another toy not right next to it but some distance between them and tell her to bring "?" reward highly for the right choice. Then I would teach another toy name.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Oh, yes! That is one of Kyrah's favorites! I think I found that in the 101 tricks book.

ETA: I guess I should have said she doesnt acutally track it. I hide it in a certain rooom and she searches for it.
Same here! I send Elka out of the room and hide Gumby for her to find. Sometimes, though, I ask her to find something that I don't know where is. Typically, she'll bring me other, visible toys first, and then go for it. :lol2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts