Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yesterday Toro slipped out the gate as it was cracked open and made like a bandit! :help_up_2

Of course, a sense of panic was setting in and I did my best to keep my cool. I kept calling him to come and he would just stop, look at me, and then continue on his way. I walked behind him and kept calling him, but he just kept on going!

At one point he made a mad dash down the sidewalk and scared the bejeezus out of two ladies, making them part like the red sea! He rounded a corner and momentarily was out of sight so I picked up my pace and to my luck, he had stopped to mingle with two dogs in one home's front yard. I seized the opporunity and pounced like a jungle cat, grabbed his collar and clipped the leash on. PHHHEWW!!!

I was so disappointed that he was ignoring my COME command :frown1:
I've read that at 6 1/2 months, he is in a "rebellious" stage and more prone to defy my commands, but it still bugged me! Well, needless to say, I'll be Uber careful from now on when opening the gate. He's just so fast!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
oh no! Im glad you eventually caught him. I heard that with dogs that you cant depend on coming when called...that if you call his name and start running the other direction...in hopes that he will chase you and think its a game...then he will want to come to you...Ive only done this once and awhile with my boyfriends families golden retriever and it worked for him....

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Even well trained dogs will run when given the chance........ they just have a wild hair sometimes.

Velma has her CD title and will still take off to run wild in the fields behind us for about 5 minutes. Then she comes back with a big grin on her face. I am fortunate not to have any busy roads super close AND the fields behind my house are where she beelines for everytime.

A trick I learned with my first Doberman is to run in the opposite direction.......they usually can't stand it and will chase you. If you chase them it is a game called "keep away".

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh thank goodness you got him back! I know how scared you must have been!! I can just hear the ladies know" Yikes a Mean Doberman on the loose"

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
frznbuns said:
Oh thank goodness you got him back! I know how scared you must have been!! I can just hear the ladies know" Yikes a Mean Doberman on the loose"
Yeah, they look terrified! Of course, I know that my pooch is very sweet and loves being around people, but to them it just a big black vicious dog headed straight for them!

That same day, there was a street carnival near my home, so I took Toro for a stroll, and I overheard some lady say in Spanish "Mira, es el Diablo!" which translates to "Look, it's the Devil!"

LOL. I was simply amused by her ignorance, but there are some superstitious people out there with VERY old world ideas!

I find it very amusing the way many people react when I'm out walking my pooch. Sometimes, mothers pick up their children and run indoors! Then again, maybe it's ME they're afraid of. He he. I have tattoos and a shaved head and I'm built like a wrestler.

Then there are those who come up and tell me, "He's so cute! Can I pet him?" So I guess it depends on the person. Some people are just plain ignorant.

I can only imagine if he WAS cropped!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
velmadobe said:
Even well trained dogs will run when given the chance........ they just have a wild hair sometimes.

Velma has her CD title and will still take off to run wild in the fields behind us for about 5 minutes. Then she comes back with a big grin on her face. I am fortunate not to have any busy roads super close AND the fields behind my house are where she beelines for everytime.

A trick I learned with my first Doberman is to run in the opposite direction.......they usually can't stand it and will chase you. If you chase them it is a game called "keep away".
Yeah, I'll keep that in mind if God forbid it ever happens again. I wasn't running after him, 'cause I know that would make him dash off even faster if he saw me running him down. I just kinda walked at a brisk pace, but I'm sure that was enough for him to perceive it as a "keep away" session.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts