Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male was running hard in the yard. When he came up on the deck, I noticed blood on the floor. It didn't seem to bother him but we still went to the Vet. My wife wrapped it cause of the blood. She was in complete panic mode. The Vet explained that Dobermans run very fast and take sharp turns and tears are not uncommon on younger dogs. My dog is 11 mos. old. She said the pads will get tougher with age. Anyone else experience this?

she was in complete panic mode

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Yes--young males have no sense of their own possible mortality. They get banged up all the time. Torn pads heal--I take dogs to the vet for them because sometimes there is hanging bits of the pad that need to be trimmed off. But I don't get very excited about it. But then I've been dealing with Dobes and at least one other breed that is both big and quick to run and turn and tear up pads (an Afghan Hound)--since 1959.

I don't really get terribly excited about damage that will heal (and sometimes it even helps the dog to think about slowing down a bit.

dobebug

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yes--young males have no sense of their own possible mortality. They get banged up all the time. Torn pads heal--I take dogs to the vet for them because sometimes there is hanging bits of the pad that need to be trimmed off. But I don't get very excited about it. But then I've been dealing with Dobes and at least one other breed that is both big and quick to run and turn and tear up pads (an Afghan Hound)--since 1959.

I don't really get terribly excited about damage that will heal (and sometimes it even helps the dog to think about slowing down a bit.

dobebug
By "young males", do you mean my little girl puppy, too? She is wild and wreckless! Came in from outside with a little puncture on her side... 2 weeks before her first show at the National of all places o_O

·
Big Lil pup
8,589 Posts
"I don't really get terribly excited about damage that will heal (and sometimes it even helps the dog to think about slowing down a bit."

Yeah... wait until he breaks a nail off . Ouch

By "young males", do you mean my little girl puppy, too? She is wild and wreckless! Came in from outside with a little puncture on her side... 2 weeks before her first show at the National of all places o_O
Tomboy?
(Oops... Can I still say that these days?)

JL

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
"I don't really get terribly excited about damage that will heal (and sometimes it even helps the dog to think about slowing down a bit."

Yeah... wait until he breaks a nail off . Ouch

Tomboy?
(Oops... Can I still say that these days?)

JL
For sure. We call her that all the time! And Zyan is our little delicate flower, haha!

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Kristen--I should have been more careful about my language--young Dobermans--male or female--tend to be rowdy as all get out and pay no attention to the possible end result of running like there was no tomorrow--doing slide stops and quick turns. So yes, I mean your sweet lil' girl and Ken's lil' angel--both of them have already proven themselves to be accidents just waiting to happen.

I'd like to claim my darling males don't do things like that but I'd be lying and everyone with a Dobe would know it.

When my first Dobe was a puppy I was still living with my folks--two board fencing almost everywhere but all of it had a barbwire bottom strand because they used to have cows who produced calves--and the bottom string was to keep the calves from rolling under the fence.. And my show prospect male ran hell bent for election and dived under that bottom strand and from the time he was 3 months to about 8 months--he had long scabby spots on his back from doing those home run slides under the fence.

His breeder was forever stacking him up to show to someone (I showed him but Jim showed him to people) and he'd run his hand down Marc's back and feel all those scabs and say "Can't you keep him from doing that?"

Um--well no--I couldn't--obviously--it took moving elsewhere to finally heal all those scabby spots on his back.

dobebug

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Kristen--I should have been more careful about my language--young Dobermans--male or female--tend to be rowdy as all get out and pay no attention to the possible end result of running like there was no tomorrow--doing slide stops and quick turns. So yes, I mean your sweet lil' girl and Ken's lil' angel--both of them have already proven themselves to be accidents just waiting to happen.

I'd like to claim my darling males don't do things like that but I'd be lying and everyone with a Dobe would know it.

When my first Dobe was a puppy I was still living with my folks--two board fencing almost everywhere but all of it had a barbwire bottom strand because they used to have cows who produced calves--and the bottom string was to keep the calves from rolling under the fence.. And my show prospect male ran hell bent for election and dived under that bottom strand and from the time he was 3 months to about 8 months--he had long scabby spots on his back from doing those home run slides under the fence.

His breeder was forever stacking him up to show to someone (I showed him but Jim showed him to people) and he'd run his hand down Marc's back and feel all those scabs and say "Can't you keep him from doing that?"

Um--well no--I couldn't--obviously--it took moving elsewhere to finally heal all those scabby spots on his back.

dobebug
Well glad I'm in the best company!! I let Karin know the nutball punctured her said and she just said "of course, she's a Doberman puppy", lol!

·
joie de vivre
11,396 Posts
It happens. It's usually nothing to worry about. My girl just sliced off a chunk of a pad last week and I did take her to the vet because (1) she was actually limping and (2) it was so sensitive that she really didn't want me to handle it. So, I was concerned that it was potentially serious and/or she might have something embedded in it. The vet cleaned her up and she was fine. I just tried to keep it clean and kept her activity light for a few days. Now she's back at it, rip-roaring around full steam again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts