Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can y'all recommend some good kennels in my area? My buddy picked up a great male sired by "flame" at Aeolus kennels or something like that. His pup is beautiful and very well tempered.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Texas has plenty of great breeders. Off the top of my head I can think of Rhapsody, Merrimac, and Touchstone. What exactly are you looking for in a doberman?

·
Registered
609 Posts
As long as your looking for a show line dog Texas is full of great breeders. Start at the DPCA site's breeder referral and start your researching. Also a search will reveal many similar threads.

·
Registered
907 Posts
There are many threads here similar to what you've asked for. Patchwork mentioned great ones.

Aeolus has good looking dogs, but the specific one you're speaking of, Flame, has not been finished or completely health tested as of yet from what I can see. Only for VwD and Thyroid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First and foremost as a companion dog. I also would like a house guardian, my pitbulls are horrible guard dogs. As are all well bred game pit bulls. I do not expect my new Dobe to go on hunts with my pits. Do kennels breed for specific "gameness" traits? I have a lot of wild life when we go into the mountains. Id like to be able to keep him around with out tearing butt after every squirrel and rabbit, lol.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It's a good thing that you're on DT and doing your research! Dobermans are not, and have never been bred to be, property guarders. They were bred to be protective of their handler, not their home. I've heard of a great many dobe that may step between a threat and their human but wouldn't do much if somebody entered the home while the owner wasn't around.

As for prey drive, different lines have different levels of that but a good breeder can set you up with a less drivey dog.

·
Registered
551 Posts
So a Cane Corso or german shepherd may be a better fit as a home protection type animal?
What genders are your other dogs? If you have both males and females, you will not want to add a working breed such as a Corso to the mix. Very high probability of same sex aggression.
There is never any guarantee that a dog can protect a home. There was just a thread on here a day or two ago about a home invasion, and the burglars beat the family's German Shepherd with a heavy chain. I think the dog lived.
If you are worried about someone breaking into your house and stealing valuables, I highly recommend investing in a security system.

Good luck.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I really cannot say as I don't know much about those breeds. How about a home security system instead?

There was a thread here recently by a user whose neighbor's house got broken into. The neighbors had a GSD and the dog put up a fight but was beaten with chains and locked into a room.

I think that anybody who is willing to enter a house with a dog (or dogs), regardless of the breed, is probably prepared to take care of it/them. I also think that this is especially true for somebody who is willing to enter/break into a house that has pits considering the negative stigma that goes along with that breed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I remember when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, my parents had a female dobe, I loved that dog very much, she was great around us kids. very loving and extremely gentle. She was also extremely smart. It was almost like she knew what we were feeling. She was an outdoor dog, and one day when I was home alone (this was around the age of 12 or so) someone tried to break into our back door. I remember hearing "meesha" barking incessantly and growling, then hearing a guy yell out in agony. when I looked out the back door I saw a black guy laying on his back holding his arm in severe pain with blood everywhere. I immediately called the cops. I grabbed my dads shotgun and kept watch out the back door. Meesha had ahold of the guys back neck/shouler and would not let go. I waited what seemed almost a lifetime for the cops to knock on the door yelling if everything was ok. I dropped the shotgun and ran to the door and showed them to the intruder in the back. all 6 cops scurried through the house and a few other went around the back. they had their guns drawn and ready for anything. I heard the intruder shrilling in agony constantly and couldnt help but feel kind of bad for him. At the same time I was keeping watch to make sure meesha was ok. Anyways when they threw the cuffs on the guy he was barely able to stand. I noticed meesha was laying on the concrete in the back yard not able to get up and seemingly in pain. Around this time my parents showed up as the police station notified my father immediately after the cops were dispatched. It was long ago so the details are kind of hazy but the guy stabbed meesha 17 times in the stomach and back. She stayed alive long enough to keep this dirty crook from breaking in and possibly killing me. by the time I got to see her she had passed on. Ever since this happened ive always wanted to get my own dobe for the house. They may not be trained for house protection, but I know they will give their life to keep you out of harms way.

sorry for the long story lol.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Are you by chance the same dude who came on here a while back, wanting to run hogs with a Doberman?

·
Registered
907 Posts
To address your question about traits of "gameness," Dobermans have not ever been bred to be hunters, specifically. They are bred to be personal companion dogs. Although some LOVE to chase after little squeaky things in the forest, they can be trained reliably to recall employing the proper techniques. The prime motive of a well-bred Doberman should be to stay alongside its owner.

Again, to reiterate what others mentioned, no animal any longer is a foolproof deterrant for criminals, and Dobermans being personal protection dogs, not property protection dogs, will most likely bark and show anxiety when criminals break in, but may not attack unless the owner is home.

Criminals who are willing to break into a home with pitbulls in it will be just as willing to break into a home with a Doberman. Those willing to run that gauntlet are the ones that usually come prepared for the job, unfortunately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone give a good breeder in Houston or the City of Richmond that is currently breeding show or pet dobermans? I'm ready to welcome one in the family at the end of the year or towards the beginning of 2013. I just want a breeder to get acquaintance with before getting a pup. Thx

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Can anyone give a good breeder in Houston or the City of Richmond that is currently breeding show or pet dobermans? I'm ready to welcome one in the family at the end of the year or towards the beginning of 2013. I just want a breeder to get acquaintance with before getting a pup. Thx

Jamie, the breeders in this thread are mostly breeding for show. You should start your own thread for more responses.

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
I can tell you one I would avoid, and that is Lone Star Dobermans/Trinity Bay Aussies. From their website, and also emails with the owner, health testing is incomplete, one of their studs is blue, they breed lots of litters, and they are overpriced. They also bragged about selling dogs to Nashville celebrities, judges, etc., which doesn't mean anything. I'd rather hear about pedigrees, titles, and health testing.

From emails with the owner, I think they may also have Z factored dogs, because the owner just said that as long as you don't breed two Z factored dogs, you don't have to worry about getting an albino. They also stated that if the Z factored dogs are three or more generations back, the gene probably isn't there, which doesn't make sense, because any Z factored dog's offspring will be registered as Z factored.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also want to know about show dogs as well as pets. I would love to learn if given the rope. I find it fasinating for the breed itself. What does it take to show dog is the first thing i would start and how much would it cost me.. Any ball park?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I can tell you one I would avoid, and that is Lone Star Dobermans/Trinity Bay Aussies. From their website, and also emails with the owner, health testing is incomplete, one of their studs is blue, they breed lots of litters, and they are overpriced. They also bragged about selling dogs to Nashville celebrities, judges, etc., which doesn't mean anything. I'd rather hear about pedigrees, titles, and health testing.

From emails with the owner, I think they may also have Z factored dogs, because the owner just said that as long as you don't breed two Z factored dogs, you don't have to worry about getting an albino. They also stated that if the Z factored dogs are three or more generations back, the gene probably isn't there, which doesn't make sense, because any Z factored dog's offspring will be registered as Z factored.
I saw a 6 month old male last week from the breeder you mentioned. I thought the dobe was a recent rescue due to how terrible the condition that his body was in, and his nervousness. Just sad. I mean, he had pressure sores on his elbows. I've never seen big pressure sores on a young dog like that.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
I also want to know about show dogs as well as pets. I would love to learn if given the rope. I find it fasinating for the breed itself. What does it take to show dog is the first thing i would start and how much would it cost me.. Any ball park?
I read somewhere that it can take $10,000 to finish a dog. I don’t know how true that is, I never added up my costs :rolleyesww:. Plus, I handle my own dogs.

Even without the handling expenses, this is a pricy sport. Hotel, gas, and entries, not to mention show clothes, leads, grooming stuff, great food for the dog (and me!) all add up really quickly.

There is a good sized show in Houston on the 16-18th of March. A good place to start is to go, watch Dobes, and talk to the people who have the type of dog that appeals to you. Find a great breeder and rely on them. I have been pretty fortunate to find a wonderful and down to earth mentor in my bitch's breeder. Good luck and be patient!

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
jamie, unless you spend $10,000+ on a proven, trained attack dog, don't expect a puppy you buy to readily fight an intruder. There was a story of a home invasion on our local news recently and the family had a 150 lb mastiff that the intruder just shuffled into a closet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts