Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one of chevy's back teeth on the floor today. I can see the spot where it was. It has soem dried blood on it, of course. Is there anything that I should do to make sure the spot doesnt get infected?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I found one of chevy's back teeth on the floor today. I can see the spot where it was. It has soem dried blood on it, of course. Is there anything that I should do to make sure the spot doesnt get infected?
Um, he's over age eight, right?

When was his last dental done by the vet?

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's 8 1/2, and its been a little while since dental stuff done by the vet as she hasnt been as worried about it since we have been dealing with the liver stuff. The vet just looked at her teeth in March and said they looked great.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Losing a molar is no little deal--sams is right, you need to get with your vet, see what they say.

I know you were concerned about keeping the tissue where the tooth was lost, from "getting infected," but a deep-seated infection is most likely why Chevy lost the tooth to begin with.

She (sorry for calling her a "he" before) likely needs pain meds and a good round of antibiotics, at the least.

Good luck, and please update us when you can.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy had a mollar removed at 9.5 years old.
Operation with cleaning and gum attention, a few biopsy's...took 1 hour 45 minutes.
Vet had to cut the mollar in half, to extract the tooth...the 4 roots were very long & twisted.
- Vet was a young lady, she said it was a real fight, to pull it out
A removed mollar, leaves a sizeable hole...and I am sure the Vet used dissolvable stitches.
- hard to believe, one would fall out on its own...without other issues, to address

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Some dogs are just so stoic. I've had to have four molars removed in the past year, (two different dogs). You definitely need that addressed and specific antibiotics given. Hard to believe a tooth went south that fast, or maybe the examination wasn't thorough enough. Good to have a cleaning done at that age regularly, and x-rays done. One of my GSD's molars was really infected at root level and wasn't visible easily.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet already has her on antibiotics with her liver issue. It wasnt a back molar, it was one of the side ones exactly half way back. It was nice and pearly white even at the roots, which came with the tooth. I called the vet and will be taking her this afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts