Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wifey insists that we should start tooth brushing ( not me, I'm already trained)
but our 7 month old pup.
Any opinions? I had several dogs since childhood but never used tooth brush on them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't. My dogs get raw bones regularly as well as turkey necks and those tend to keep their teeth nice and clean. If they do end up with any plaque, I will use a dental scaler to scrape it off. But with all the raw bones, that happens very rarely. I just scaled their teeth the other day for the first time in about a year and there was hardly any build up.

Reactions: lifeisfun

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes - It's a Good Idea

I brush my Dobe's teeth after each meal. He is fed in the morning and evening. I floss between teeth that have a tight bite. In addition, I remove strands of hair that slip under the gum line. I did the same for my other Dobes. As a result, they have a full set of teeth their entire lives with no tartar buildup. By following this routine I have avoided putting them under anesthesia for professional cleanings as my vet says professional cleanings aren't necessary due to the great condition of their gums and teeth. I have my Dobe hold a solid rubber ball that is slightly smaller than a tennis ball. This keeps his mouth open so I can thoroughly brush each tooth surface. I move the ball as necessary to get to each tooth.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Yes, and we also feed raw bones. Simon just had two teeth extracted (VERY expensive). Our vet recommended we start brushing so he can retain the rest of his teeth.

Shanoa's teeth are sparkly clean from bones, but I'm brushing anyway. I don't do it daily, but I brush every time we do nails (about once a week). They don't mind, and I do use the dog toothpaste that is beef flavored.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I brush my dog's teeth every night. They don't mind it and they never have bad breath. Our girl is almost seven and our boy is about to turn six and they've never had to have a dental.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts