Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get to pick up my little girl tomorrow, it seems like the last 5 weeks have taken forever to get here. I am so excited I can hardly wait I have everything set up and ready for her even bought LOTS more toys that should get here tomorrow... she will be one spoiled little pup :)

One question, I am driving to get her with my 4 year old (lots of help there huh) But I was planning on putting her in her kennel which she will always ride in in my truck anyways...is this a good idea or should I figure out how to get her to stay in the passangers seat next to me for the first ride home???

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Start early with the crate! Diesel has been a nightmare in his crate so I'd say go for it!

I'm so excited for you. I remember that feeling! Post pics ASAP!

·
Registered
771 Posts
It is up to you really. When i first got my pup she rode shot gun on the way home. But I agree about crating, it needs to be started early and some dobie pups can SO BAD about it in the beginning so don't loose faith or give in!

Post pics for us when you get her! I am excited for you!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Parker rode in the front passenger seat with me. He was happy there. Unless your pup is really tired and sleepy before you leave, I wouldn't put it in a crate. That is, unless you can listen to a screaming puppy for however long it takes them to give up and go to sleep.

I put a heavy layer of newspaper down in the passenger floorboard in case he couldn't wait till I could find a spot and pull off, but he never had to use it.

You might want to take a jug and get some of the homeowner's water to take back with you to give her something to drink if she needs it. I don't know how long your trip will be.

Congratulations and good luck sleeping tonite.:laughing:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that long of a drive only about 45 mins...

Can I give her a kong with peanut butter in her kennel or am I just asking for trouble then?? I would hate to stick her in her kennel and then have her freaked out about it and then not want to have anything to do with it KWIM?!?!

good luck sleeping tonite...... Thanks :( Not really looking forward to the lack of sleep between the new puppy and my 4 year old deciding that she doesn't need to sleep throught the night anymore and wakes up at the crack of dawn, just means I will have to sleep train both a puppy and a child :p

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,301 Posts
I know your four year old is ready to pop with excitement and it would probably be really difficult to handle the trip any other way, but.................

I'm wondering if you shouldn't make the trip alone (babysitter for the 4 year old). It would be so much easier to connect with the puppy if all you have to worry about is you and the puppy, and you don't have to spend time correcting enthusiastic 4 year old behavior too. If you have to deal with an emergency like sudden car-sickness, potty stops, or puppy pitching fits and getting stuck in the crate somehow (it can happen), it would certainly be much less harrowing if you didn't have to also worry what the 4 year old is doing and whether she's going to jump out into the parking lot at a rest stop.

Your four year old is probably very well behaved, but the excitement of a new puppy!! Anyone might lose it!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no way that I can leave my daughter at home while we go pick up the puppy... I will just turn on her dvd player for the ride home incase anything happens where I need to pull over or handle any situations with the dog... I'm still not sure if I am going to put her in her kennel yet since it's a wire kennel I don't want going over a bump making the kennel rattle scare her so much that she doesn't want to get into her kennel at home when it's bed time.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Well, if you put her in that wire crate for the ride home she will be scared spitless. She will also be scared spitless by your four year old. Hope you have a plan for them living together in harmony...:D

Can you take another adult with you then? To hold the puppy during the trip home?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, if you put her in that wire crate for the ride home she will be scared spitless. She will also be scared spitless by your four year old. Hope you have a plan for them living together in harmony...:D

Can you take another adult with you then? To hold the puppy during the trip home?
Ok I will not put her in the kennel and put her in the front seat and harness her in the seat belt :) I am also not afraid of her being afraid of my 4 year old as the gal I am getting her from has 4 small children who have been playing with/ holding my puppy since she was very young! I do have a plan but I hope it works :idea:

I will also try and get someone to go with me just for an extra set of hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts