Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me with toilet training my 4.5 month old male dobe pup.

He is doing really well aroudn the house with toilet training, and he sleeps through. When out of his cage we haven't had an accident for about a week!

But the problem is when he's in his cage, he almost always pees. Not as often when he's in the for bedtime overnight, but if we put him in to go out or for us to eat he will pee in there!

I know he's a pup and can't hold it so long, but we do always let him out before he's crated and when we let him out of his crate, and also after he's had a play.

He is given water in hsi cage when we are out, but never left with his food in there. We always make sure he's fed and done his business before we leave him.

He is also never left in there for over 2-3 hours if we have to go out, and if it's while we are home it's probably less than an hour!! He doesn't spend much time in there at all.

Also when we caret him he still cries for a while! Is this just typical dobie? I'm wondering whether he has some attachment issues and he's peeing in there because he's anxious and frightened.

The problem i have is my other half can't help but let him out. I work from home and my partner doesn't work currently, so while i'm int he office working my partner has Max.

Snuggled on the sofa!!!! So i keep telling him to let the dog learn to be without him, but men will be men!

Whats the gentlest way to sort otu this problem. Without making the dog more anxious and without my mushy hubby thinking i'm the total utter bad guy?

I'm aware the change is probs gonna be tougher on my partner than the dog!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bonny x

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Re quote................The problem i have is my other half can't help but let him out. I work from home and my partner doesn't work currently, so while i'm int he office working my partner has Max.
Snuggled on the sofa!!!! So i keep telling him to let the dog learn to be without him, but men will be men!
Whats the gentlest way to sort otu this problem. Without making the dog more anxious and without my mushy hubby thinking i'm the total utter bad guy?
I'm aware the change is probs gonna be tougher on my partner than the dog!................

Your mushy husband spoils the dobe, by the sound's of it.
SORRY, I can't identify a problem for you...probably, I am very much, like him.
- dogs learn a lot more with much human contact...than without

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
When the dog pees in the crate is he wet from pee?
I've never put water in a crate

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just told the hubby.... pmsl

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he pees in his crate on the puppy pad. it isnt water. i put his water bowl in coz if we are out for 3 hours he is gonna need to have a drink... I know he can hold it! he is house trained... he just pees in his crate! :/

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
He pees on the pad cuz his pissed off, no pun intended.
When you eat, take pad out, see if that helps. Failing that section crate off and see if he pees. You might be surprised.
If water goes in, pee has got to come out.
Giving him water when you go out, is just giving him more pee ammo.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
+1 with Nubis'sDad.....^^^^^

Dobes are smart...some will figure out / pee in the crate, I get rescued.
My 8 week old puppy was toilet trained completely, in 3 weeks.
- outside every hour, when home
- crated for 1-4 hours max. when at work
- slept in sons bed, from day3 / zero accidents
(I took her outside at 3:30 to 4am, in the first month...afterwards, she slept all night)
Expensive dog bed was not being used after pup turned 3 months old & crate was folded up (and stored) at 4.5 month old.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
+1 with Nubis'sDad.....^^^^^

Dobes are smart...some will figure out / pee in the crate, I get rescued.
My 8 week old puppy was toilet trained completely, in 3 weeks.
- outside every hour, when home
- crated for 1-4 hours max. when at work
- slept in sons bed, from day3 / zero accidents
(I took her outside at 3:30 to 4am, in the first month...afterwards, she slept all night)
Expensive dog bed was not being used after pup turned 3 months old & crate was folded up (and stored) at 4.5 month old.
I hearya, once Nubis is house trained. A test run will be taken so that during nighttime, he sleeps beside my bed on my side. Because of the position of my bed, and the crate he will have a free 6*4 area. Once he messes up, if he does its back in the crate. My gut tells me, it should work out good.
Lol. But he still won't be allowed on the bed cuz guess what, back in the crate he goes hehehe.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for youo advice. did him in his cage with no water while we were out. No pee :/ feel like a very silly mummy :/:/:/ its all the hoohaa over here over if ya dont leave your dogs water 24.7 then rspca will be at the door!! Honest. its animal cruelty laws gone mad... but. we seem to be taking a positive step. so thank you all very much :):)

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Thanks for youo advice. did him in his cage with no water while we were out. No pee :/ feel like a very silly mummy :/:/:/ its all the hoohaa over here over if ya dont leave your dogs water 24.7 then rspca will be at the door!! Honest. its animal cruelty laws gone mad... but. we seem to be taking a positive step. so thank you all very much :):)
At least the RSPCA care, this bunch of saddos dont give a stuff for animal welfare. We have folk chaining dogs up to trees, leaving them out in the open, (it can get up to 45 degrees plus here some days in the summer) visiting them once maybe twice a week to replenish their water bowls and food bowls. They never exercise their dogs but expect them to do a days hunting as if they were olympiads and wonder why the dogs cannot keep up.

Two years back one of my friends heard a group of men laughing and joking on her land, she went down to investigate, there in a clearing she saw about half a dozen men all watching 4 dogs balancing on their hind legs. As she moved closer she realised they were piano dancing. This is where a piece of piano wire is strung between 2 trees and from it short nooses are hung, they then take their dogs and hang them by the neck so that their toes are just touching the ground. The sons of pigs then bet on how long it will be before the dogs hang themselves through exhaustion.
My friend picked up a branch and lay into the men and they legged it. She released the dogs, but one had died and though she tried to revive it she couldnt. She called me and I rushed over just as the police arrived. They were going to arrest my friend for attacking the men, no thought about sorting the swine out for what they had done to the dogs. Their response to what they had done was to shrug and say, 'you English 'need to learn how we do things and stop interfering,' the only reason she wasnt arrested was because the alcalde (lord mayor) of the nearby town is a neighbour of hers and intervened.

Hope your boy has no more problems, by the way, my hubby was sleeping with my Dobe this morning, his arm wrapped over him, ruffy tuffy men, hah.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aww in no way am i com[plaining abouot the rspca. I like what they do. Was just making the point over how they are about dogs with water.

Anyways its sad to hear that they can treat animals and get away with it in your area... Gotta feel sorry for the animals and the pigs that are sick enough to let it happen.

One thing i never understood was how a human could harm any animal! It sickens me to read what you wrote.

But yes on a good note my lil man didn't wee :) so i'm chuffed. I knew it was most likely down to me...

Max loves snuggles with my hubby..... He's a real mans dog!!! Maybe he knows i'm the tough one who will stick to my guns with him?

Can't complain though... Dunno what i'd do if i had a fella who only tolerated the dogs :O Would be hell for me!

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
right on!!!! Now your heading in the right direction , make sure to praise him and get him out after the praise, or his excitement will make him pee too. Lol

IT has to be a little different for pups but thank god for SCPA's...

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
aww in no way am i com[plaining abouot the rspca. I like what they do. Was just making the point over how they are about dogs with water.

Anyways its sad to hear that they can treat animals and get away with it in your area... Gotta feel sorry for the animals and the pigs that are sick enough to let it happen.

One thing i never understood was how a human could harm any animal! It sickens me to read what you wrote.

But yes on a good note my lil man didn't wee :) so i'm chuffed. I knew it was most likely down to me...

Max loves snuggles with my hubby..... He's a real mans dog!!! Maybe he knows i'm the tough one who will stick to my guns with him?

Can't complain though... Dunno what i'd do if i had a fella who only tolerated the dogs :O Would be hell for me!
Hell indeed, mind mine draws the line at 4, he says anymore and he is walking. I have to laugh, he wouldnt get far with 2 Terriers a Dobe and a big fat Boxer bitch hanging onto his trouser bottoms.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He gets a good amount of praise after doing toilet, without going overboard cause he gets a little freaked if ya give him too much. he really is a gr8 pup tho.

i think mine draws line at these 2 :/ never know though give it 2 yrs and i may be allowed them a playmate :) lol He said only 1 when we got Kia but we got Max 2 years after :)

Now he loves Maxi Moo and Kia to bits :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts