Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diesel is now 13-weeks, soon to have the lamp-shade removed and has had all his injections, and has started to go out on the leash. We own a townhouse which doesn't lend it's self to easily opening the door and letting the pup out for the toilet. We are having a problem to getting him to do his business outside, take him out on the leash and he waits until he is back in the house to perform. Any advice would be welcomed.

Plan to sell the house next year and move to a more rual location with ground.

Neil

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Do you take him out immediately after food and play? He should go right away...... He'll get it with time, it is a matter of teaching him to eliminate on a specific surface rather than inside/outside. I'd just wait it out with him till he goes outside and while he is going repeat potty to him (or someother word) and he (being the smart little doberdoy that he is) will eventually connect that with going when you tell him. Then praise after.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Like Jessie said it's pretty much a waiting game... :) If you feel like you've waited forever and he still hasn't "gone" and you HAVE to get back in for whatever reason, I would suggest either putting him in a crate for 10-15 min and then try again (he doesn't get to run the house until he's "gone) OR keep him with you on a leash so as as soon as he shows signs of needing to "go" you can rush him right outside :) Consistency is the key.
-note this is very easily said and done to some extent, our Dobe pup is superb about going out but it's been about 3 years and I'm still on this schedule with my little Chihuahua mix (he's such a pita! :)

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts