Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's our Friday tradition to go into the pet store and pick out some bully sticks and other things to chew on for the week to come. I thought, for the first time EVER that we would have a great experience without the ignorant comments, but.. I spoke too soon! A Tree hugger (as I like to call them) tried to lecture me about cropping my boys ears, I payed her no attention. (It's funny to me, because I was reading the thread this morning about the very same thing, I so badly wanted to use the 'circumcising little boys' bit, but couldn't do so without chuckling, so I left it alone.) I get to the checkout line, and this Bellatrix Lestrange looking lady RUNS, and I mean runs to me with her BYB dobie and exclaims "My girl's in heat! We should have puppies" as she turns her head sideways to see if my male is neutered or not. (He's not, our vet suggested waiting until he was 24 months) I told her as nicely as possible since we were in public that I was not interested, she waited until I finished at the register and then FOLLOWED me to my car! :mad: She demanded to know why not, and told me I wouldn't have to pay her anything, that she just wanted the puppies to sell, and get this she told me I could even have one! WOW! I politely, said no again, and well, she wouldn't leave. At this point, I wasn't sure what to do, So I grabbed my cell out of my purse and began talking to the home screen praying that no one would call as I got to the door, I got in my car and drove away. AHH! I've never been in a situation like that before, someone please tell me I acted ok? I feel like I was rude to her, but I didn't want to ruin my Friday afternoon lecturing her.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If anything she was rude, I think you handled it really well :) happy Friday. It sounded like that lady wouldn't have heard anything you had to say anyways unless it was yes to the breeding. I get asked that all the time about breeding my dog to other people's dog and I just say no like you did and if they ask why I would tell them that I would be a byb and that I don't support byb's. If they are still listening I tell them all about health testing and how they should have titles in something in order to prove that they are worth breeding. They either say okay and respectfully walk away, or surprisingly most people that ask want to know more so I tell them and they leave educated.

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crap! I figured that sounded bad, I'm sorry. :(

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
You handled it much better than I would have.

I think I would have gone into a long rant about all the homeless dogs, the health problems in this breed, the difference between a byb and a legitimately reputable breeder, the horrors that can come with dog pregnancy and birth, etc.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm with you Patchworkrobot! I would have told her about byb's and my experience with them (since stupidly I got Chevy from one when I was 18) and the health issues that arise from a bad bloodline.

Well KMC, at least she said you wouldnt have to pay her! LOL!:rolleyesww:

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
GOod for you for keeping calm. (even though that was the perfect opportunity to EDUCATE an idiot! ) :)

Reactions: KMC and Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh I would have had fun with her!! Lol sounds like us at beach last week. I was swimming in water with Phoenix and a man approached my fiancé on the beach asking if he was fixed. He has a red female in heat. My fiancé was nice but I woul have given him an ear full! .......I have a girl...you have a boy...let's have puppies. Retard.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Oh I would have had fun with her!! Lol sounds like us at beach last week. I was swimming in water with Phoenix and a man approached my fiancé on the beach asking if he was fixed. He has a red female in heat. My fiancé was nice but I woul have given him an ear full! .......I have a girl...you have a boy...let's have puppies. Retard.
That is the philosophy of this lot, it even extends to..... my dog is good at hunting yours is too, lets breed them, oh they are different breeds, so what, someone is bound to want the puppies because their parents are such good hunting dogs.

I was asked by someone if I would breed my Dobe to his GSD as he reckoned the pups would be awesome gaurd dogs, I politely said no, he continued explaining to me how his dogs needed to look meaner. (there was Toby standing with his tongue lolling out the side of his face his ears flapping in the slight breeze, yeah real mean looking). I again said, no, the man was having none of it, so I smiled and told him that Toby was castrated. But still the guy was adament there was money to be made from breeding his bitches to my dog. In the end I said. 'Look my dog is gay okay.' And walked away.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would have gone the opposite route saying his sire and dam are GCHs, he has a $2000 stud fee, asked her what titles her dog has that would make her ieven n the same league as your dog just to get her panties in a twist

or to really avoid the weirdos just say "He's neutered, those are fake"

I used to get bybers all the time wanting to use Hank as stud. They would full on roll out the crazy until I pointed to his nether regions and said "hes neutered" and then they would "thats a shame" and walk away.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I wouldn't have been so kind, once she was so persistent.
I think, my response would have been along the lines: "Its great we met, I feel like breeding too":p

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
haha those are fake!! good one. I have had ppl ask me if my girls are in tact and I am always happy to tell them NO. Aside from their breeding, I dont really think I could deal with a littler of puppies! I have read enough on here of the reputable people that have bred and its far too much work for me. I am no where near qualified even if I had champion high quality tested girls!

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
haha those are fake!! good one. I have had ppl ask me if my girls are in tact and I am always happy to tell them NO. Aside from their breeding, I dont really think I could deal with a littler of puppies! I have read enough on here of the reputable people that have bred and its far too much work for me. I am no where near qualified even if I had champion high quality tested girls!
I know, right? It seems like you need a PhD in Doberman to do it right while breeding...or at least a master's. Or Doberman Talk and a fat checkbook, and a breeding mentor and...

Yeah, if the stars aligned right, jobwise and financially speaking, I'd totally raise up a champion girlie that gets Schutzhunded as well and breed a single litter as best as I possibly could. But there are so many strikes against it, especially in my area (no cropping vet that I've heard of), that I'm probably just destined to admire those who are doing it right!

·
Registered
705 Posts
That happened to me too Toby'shuman! I had an idiot tell me Chevy was a beautiful doberman and asked if she was spayed because he wanted to breed her with his pit! He said that would be the most awesome guard dog ever. I figure the dogs would be so ugly people would run away....LOL

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,257 Posts
When she started with the "you don't have to pay" line, you could have said, "Oh, I just assumed I would have to--pimps usually insist that they get paid for their girl's services."

Actually, I think you were too nice, once the lady started following you. I think I would have simply ignored her talking or look blankly right through her.

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
She sounds like a jerk. If she accosts you again, just tell her that it's the stud owner who gets paid, not the bitch owner. And you doubt she could afford it. :D

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Treehugger signing in who is pro-crop/dock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts