Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just wanted to give a little piece of advice to the many new dobie owners that have joined DT. I'll preface this with saying that I'm not as seasoned as many other members. I've only owned one doberman who is now 16 months old. I post quite often with questions and concerns because I won't pretend that I know everything about the breed, and the people here have a wealth of knowledge that has helped me since day 1 of ownership. So newbies, don't hesitate to ask questions and don't feel offended by any tough love you may get. Everyone is here for the betterment of our dogs! :)

Now...my piece of advice: Socialize your dog early! Socializing puppy Zeus is probably one of the best things we've done to ensure that he has a happy life. It makes things soooo easy, and it makes ownership so much fun! We can take him literally anywhere without fear of him growling or being anxious or afraid of things. He's not afraid of the vacuum cleaner, or trains, or strollers, walkers, skateboards, bikes, passing vehicles, ducks (which he WAS afraid of until we continued to introduce him to them), etc. The best thing has to be the vet's office. Back in Texas, he was a superstar. All the vet techs knew who he was when we walked in the door because he is Mr. Friendly. Here in NM, his new vets adore him. Ironically, there's another Zeus Doberman who frequents the vets office, and he's the total opposite. They confessed to me that when they saw my Zeus's name, everyone got on edge because the other doberman is so aggresssive that they have to sedate him in order to treat him!

So look up appropriate ways to socialize your young pup at home. Once he or she is good to go on shots, take them places and give them those positive experiences with people and things. Puppy classes are awesome, and obedience class after! Good luck, and have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts