Votes: 24 31.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is almost 12 weeks, and I can't decide wether or not I want to fix him.. I am NOT plannin on breeding him, however I don't see why I should neuter him, or if I decide to if I should wait so he muscles up nice while the testosterone is still going.. We are going to take obidience classes once he's a little older, so behavioral issues won't be a problem. I don't agree with fixing dogs as a solution to that.. However I do know keeping them from marking their territory in the house can be a problem.

Anyone with experience have advice??
It one less procedure to do if I can avoid it..

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
There's no clear answer on this, and there's many posts on this topic. I would just do as much research as you can, and then make a decision based off of what you find. You can teach a dog not to mark, and neuter/spay doesn't really change or fix any behavioral problems, though many people think it will. You're going to find 2 sides to this debate, both very firm in their standings. There's people that will tell you you HAVE to neuter, and have a long list of reasons why. Then there's the side that says it's silly to neuter, and they'll also have a long list why. Both sides will have resons why the other side is wrong. It's just like the "what's the best food" debates.

So, I would just search some topics, read what people have to say, and then go from there. Also, you can consult your vet with the pros/cons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
And yes, that's the problem.
All the research I've done is pretty 50/50.
The only one that really caught my eye was a longer life spam due to neutering?
True false?

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
From all that I hve heard, this is not the same as having a female spayed, which there are confirmed health benefits to if you do not plan on breeding. A male from what I have heard doesnt HAVE to be neutered if you are diligent and are responsible in keeping him confined and not letting him roam or near females who are in heat. I have only really had one intact male in all the dogs I have had, he was a chocolate lab many years ago, and he was a handful, he was good and didnt ever mark indoors, never chewed things or had bad behaviour until we moved into a new house and then he wanted to mark every corner of the house, upstairs and basement alike. Of course, he was older and neutering at his age would not stop that so we dealt with it in different manners.
Getting back to pros/cons, I have not heard if it benefits or not, as any behaviour it might stop can be trained away when left intact from what I have been told.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Like everything, there are pros and cons to each side. I think that a nice compromise is to neuter later in life, like at 5 - 7 years old. Every dog I've seen at my vet clinic I work at that is not neutered past that age seems to start developing testicular, penis, and/or prostate issues that are very painful and hard to treat and usually result in neutering anyway and still lead to a slew of long-term problems. Every single one of them. However, before that age they all seem to be perfectly fine and I do think it's good for them to stay intact until that point so they can fully develop.

Having said that, there are a ton of threads on here debating both sides of the argument, I'd recommend you read up on those before this turns into another flaming session on the subject.

Your pup is only 12 weeks old and you wouldn't really want to neuter him until he is at least 18 months anyway so you have plenty of time to decide :)

·
Super Moderator
21,742 Posts
Do you have any experience managing an intact male, especially a working breed?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like others have said, opinions are 50/50. As far as the whole thing on it changing behavior like marking or agression, it will. BUT, it's a fine line as it will only decrease SEXUALLY DRIVEN behaviors. Unfortunately, all the behaviors that one hopes to extinguish by neutering may or may not be sexually driven. Marking, agression, even humping can happen having nothing to do with sex, and therefore won't go away just by altering his man parts.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks guys!
And yes, that's the problem.
All the research I've done is pretty 50/50.
The only one that really caught my eye was a longer life spam due to neutering?
True false?
My Doberman was almost 13 years old when he passed and he was neutered around 15 months. There are plenty of intact dogs that haven't lived that long and vice verse. I really think it depends more on the individual dog and his/her pedigree.

@ RFR...how appropriate :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Neuter or unneutered, keeping up on training is an every day thing. Some of the reading we did on pros & cons, we waited until 18 mo. The range seems to be 18-24 mo.

Some reading
Early Spay-Neuter
Considerations for the canine athlete
Canine Sports Productions

Long term health risks & benefits associated with spay/neuter in dogs
by Laura J Sanborn,M.S.
May 14, 2007

Determining the best age at which to spay or neuter
by Margaret Root-Kustritz
University of Minnesota

·
Registered
83 Posts
I see no one has mentioned the significant DECREASE in testicular cancers, prostrate cancers, etc.
Neutering absolutely reduces these cancers. I know, I was a vet tech for 3 different vets (all in the Who's Who in Veterinary Science) and it was they who told me and clients about the hazards of intact males and females (mammary cancer, pyometria, etc.)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
At what age do most cancers develop in unneutered/unspayed dogs? In some dogs it can increase the risk of bone cancer in neutered dogs.
From the reading I did it seems 18-24mo range to get them done.
There are so many variables (like the food you feed also) you just have to do some reading and decide for yourself when to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahaha very nice, I can see your side in this!

Well depending on how he responds to obedience-which should be well considering dobermans happen to be so smart- I may or may not neuter him at 18-24 months then. That way he does get to fully develope. I have no desire to breed him, So whether or not he's intact isnt the issue so much as I just want to do what's best for him.

Does anyone have expirience with living in an apartment with an intact Dobe?
Random but someone brought up the point that finding an apartment that would allow a Doberman is tough, let alone one that is still intact...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hahaha very nice, I can see your side in this!

Well depending on how he responds to obedience-which should be well considering dobermans happen to be so smart- I may or may not neuter him at 18-24 months then. That way he does get to fully develope. I have no desire to breed him, So whether or not he's intact isnt the issue so much as I just want to do what's best for him.

Does anyone have expirience with living in an apartment with an intact Dobe?
Random but someone brought up the point that finding an apartment that would allow a Doberman is tough, let alone one that is still intact...
Whther he's neutered or not shouldn't have anything to do with how his obedience training goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know!
what i'm saying is that though i do not believe neutering is a substitute for obiedience, from what i've seen (in my seven other dogs) if done early enough it does tend to change their behavior to a more calm less sex driven mind set. i know thats not how it is for all cases!
If he does get growly or aggressive around other dogs though, I'll be more likely to do fix him..

keeping in mind he is being socialized VERY well, and he is still young so i'm not too worried about it :)

My concerns are more on the health side of the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what i'm trying to say i guess isn't so much the obedience in the house or listening to me as much as his obedience around other dogs... sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.