Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My breeder recommended that I give my puppy 2000mg of vitamin C a day. I thought this was high so I slowly introduced him to it. I noticed that he started having the "runs" about 2-3 times a week. I took him off the vitamin C and his stools returned to normal. I started him up again after a week but once again the "runs" are back. Has anyone else experienced this or heard about vitamin C causing this problem?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
To much to quickly will cause the runs. Vitamin C can be pretty harsh on the tummy. You might try giving Ester C, and I would start out very slowly and work your way up. Slowly add in more and more until you get to your desired dosage. Although, I have to say........2000mg seems like ALOT for a puppy.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I always start with 500mg and work my way up to 1000mg for a doberman. 2000mg seems like a lot to me. And as BIB said, Ester C is easier on the stomach, although I've never had to use it.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I do a total of 1000 also: 500 per meal. I start small and work up. I also don't start any vitamins till they are switched to adult kibble at about 4-5 months.

Reactions: Tinyfxds

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the info. I think I'll let him be for a week with just dog food. After that I'll buy him some ester C and start over again.

I can buy Ester C for people right? It doesn't have to be for dogs?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
correct. The only thing about Ester C for humans, is that I cant find it in chewable form. Mine wont eat the regular vitamins, and they dont come in gel caps.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
correct. The only thing about Ester C for humans, is that I cant find it in chewable form.
I don't even buy chewable vit C. I just buy the regular tablets and crush them in a pill crusher and sprinkle on top of their food. I've never had a dog turn their nose up at it. But then again most of my dogs would happily eat barkdust if I put it in their bowl.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I don't even buy chewable vit C. I just buy the regular tablets and crush them in a pill crusher and sprinkle on top of their food. I've never had a dog turn their nose up at it. But then again most of my dogs would happily eat barkdust if I put it in their bowl.
I pretty much do the same thing as Julie, but I don't even have to crush them anymore - my girls are chow hounds now.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
correct. The only thing about Ester C for humans, is that I cant find it in chewable form. Mine wont eat the regular vitamins, and they dont come in gel caps.
I think I have seen the chewable ones at Walgreens around here if you are wanting those. My dogs eat anything except Asher. So, he gets his vit. C with his other pills down the hatch. Makes it easier than a whole bunch of mixed sprinkles of different concoctions. I know he gets them this way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what all else and in what dosages do you give as supplements? Right now I use the Animal Essentials Herbal Multivitamin powder along with wild Alaskan salmon oil to supplement a prey-model raw diet. I've read lots of good things about Vitamin C for our Dobes and I'm wondering if I should skip the multivitamin and start tailoring the supplements. (And give my wife more ammunition to pick on me regarding the "dog".)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have the same questions as eph94. I just give a multi vitamin and glucosamine/chondroitin to my 14 yr old dog. What supplements are needed and why? Do they not receive enough nutrition in their dog food?

Not meaning to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I give Vitamin C (Calcium Ascorbate) 125 mg crystal form. 1/4 teaspoon provides approx. 900 mg. ******* get's this twice a day in her food.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was giving a multi vitamin and vit C and Grizzly salmon oil. With the problems I've been having I'm not doing anything for a few months. I talked to my vet and she advised me to stop giving Rock supplements for awhile. She said because I feed Canidae he's getting more vitamins than on a cheaper dog food. She did say to keep giving him the salmon oil so I'll continue doing that.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
okay, i have about 2 minutes to post...im about to leave for the weekend......but here are a few articles I found real quick.

http://bajaokla.com/dachback/ester_c.htm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_8_64/ai_89379602

http://www.labradornet.com/ddyspla.html

I supplement with fish oil, and with vitamin e as well.

I mix in a variety of other oils, but not every time. Solid Gold Flax Seed Oil, Grizzly Salmon Oil are the main ones.

MSM is another good one

I will write more on Monday. Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Okie-dobie, you give calcium ascorbate right? I was thinking of using it, but it contains about 50mg of Calcium. Is that too much calcium supplementation in a large breed puppy? His food contains about 1.3%.

Also, his food contains 350Iu of E, should I supplement over that? There is also vitamin E and vitamin C in his supplement (Dr. Krugers) but i'm not sure how much. :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I heard that Vit C is the glue that binds or help builds collagen which in turn helps their joints or something. Don't quote me on that. I remember reading about it I just can't remember the specifics.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I give C to young dogs to help with pano. I actually had a whippet that had pano worse than I have seen it in any dog. Odd for a whippet. The C helped tremendously. It took about 2 weeks for it to start working, and when I ran out and he went off of it he would go lame again. As soon as I put him back on it after about two weeks he was sound again. Happened 4 times this way (I was testing it) before he outgrew pano.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I give vit. C because it is an antioxidant and supposed to benefit the skin and coat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts