Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone looking for some good advice....I have a year and 3 month old male dobe with his ears cropped I'd say their short compared to the other dobes I've seen. Anyway I Baught him like this when he was a year and his ears didn't stay up ( don't think previous owner kept up with the taping) I was wondering if it was to late to try and post them ? Thanks :)

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
If you post in puppy corner you will get a better reply. xx i unfortunately dont know about posting my boy isnt cropped.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
In all probability it is too late--but since his crop looks short, you could always try for a week or two just to see if it makes a difference. If your results are good then, you could post them a little longer and play it by "ear". :roflmao:

Seriously, though, the time for success has probably passed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So let's say I do try it for a.week or to how will I know if I am making progress if I do.....will they stand for a bit and fall or will they be a little less down ?

·
Super Moderator
26,451 Posts
Generally you would see them stand a bit and then fall--or they might not stand at all. If they do stand and you think they might be getting stronger, don't wait for them to fall though--just put them right back up after they air dry for fifteen minutes or so.

It's not likely that you will be able to get them to stand, and it might take more time and effort than you want to bother with---but it shouldn't hurt anything to try. Just don't get your hopes up too high. If you run into any difficulty--your dog is bothered by the posting, he gets infections or seems to be allergic to the tape--that sort of thing--I don't think I would keep trying, given the already low chances that posting them will work.

(Oh, just a reminder, you only want to leave them up posted for 4-5 days at a time; then change the tape job and keep on going)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank u very much this was just what I was looking for :) ....oh and by the way if it means anything it's rare but while my dobe was playing with another he got so excited he actually made his ears stand by himself ....but I've only seen it once or twice but again thx your information was exactly what I was looking for

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question.....I've seen many ways to post the ears which would u recomend ? Again thx for taki.g the time to reply to my questions :)

·
Super Moderator
26,451 Posts
There is some good information in our educational archives--the method using backer rod is the one I think most of us use.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/8772-ear-cropping-posting.html

I hadn't looked at our site for a bit--many of the recommended sites have disappeared. I'm trying to clean it up so bear with me. In the meantime:
http://dpca.org/BreedEd/index.php/articles/47-ear-caretaping/153-taping-advanced-for-puppies
is a good site, except that many of us use backer rod (from hardware store, a tube-shaped foam product used to fill large cracks before caulking them) instead of a tampon.

The instructions added by Bean work well too (basically the same) except it is not recommended that you use vet wrap unless you're really experienced in its use--it can tighten and cut off blood circulation to the ear. Use your regular tape instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts