Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 5 months since my girl's ears were cropped at 12 weeks of age. Since her crop and posting, its been a job and a half posting because she tries to find every way possible to rip or scratch the posts and cause irritation in her ears.

At this stage, her ears still aren't standing perfectly upright and right now I'm letting them air out because she got them infected so now they need some healing time. I'm just wondering if I should keep posting them or not after the infection is resolved. In clock orientation terms her ears stand at about 9.5 and 2.5. I've included a picture. Has anyone else had such a challenge with their puppie's ears?

athena.jpg

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,912 Posts
When you take the posts out, the ears won't stand for at least a while? I'm no expert, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it depends on the crop, length of the ears, and the ear cartilage - some people end up posting up to a year. I would think that after 5 months of posting, the ears would stand for a bit once the posts are removed. We posted till our girl was almost 6 months old.

How are you posting? Check out this very good thread:http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...ting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the method you just referenced in the link. My girl has had issues with the edges of the ears getting infected and that is due to the fact that no matter what method and means I've used she is a total tomboy who would find any way to dislogdge or damage the posts and get matter under them. On 3 separate occasions I've had to stop posting to treat the injuries she's caused her ears which is where I'm at now. If the posts are in for 4-5 days and I take them out, the ears try to stand on their own for a minute before flopping at a point about 55-60% up the ear.

As for crop, she got a medium working crop, so fairly long but not super long like a show crop. How do you know when to post for up to a year vs its just not in your dog's cards?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm using the method you just referenced in the link. My girl has had issues with the edges of the ears getting infected and that is due to the fact that no matter what method and means I've used she is a total tomboy who would find any way to dislogdge or damage the posts and get matter under them.

You need to start changing the posts more frequently, so infection cannot start to brew. We changed ours every other day.

Also CLEAN and DRY the ears every time you take them out of the posts. If you do this along with changing posts every other day, you should not have a problem.

On 3 separate occasions I've had to stop posting to treat the injuries she's caused her ears which is where I'm at now. If the posts are in for 4-5 days and I take them out, the ears try to stand on their own for a minute before flopping at a point about 55-60% up the ear.

As for crop, she got a medium working crop, so fairly long but not super long like a show crop. How do you know when to post for up to a year vs its just not in your dog's cards?
I would keep posting. I think you taking and keeping them down because of all the infections has probably set you back. This, coupled with her teething (while the ears were presumably down) is/was not working in your favor.

If you do what I suggested (clean ears and change posts more often) I think in a few months (maybe sooner) the ears will start to stand.

Could you post a picture of what the ears look like when you have them posted?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I won't start a new thread, but our puppy, Zeus, is now 5 months old. We had his ears cropped around Thanksgiving and kept posting his ears faithfully for two months. We took everything off approximately two weeks ago and they stood perfectly straight, and I feel that his ears are standing pretty well still; somewhere around 11:00-11:30 and 12:30 - 1:00. My wife thinks that we should re-post them again for a few weeks, but I feel that it is not necessary if they stay the way they are now. This is our first Dobe and we just are not sure whether or not they will move much more since it has been two weeks without the post, or if they will continue to fall over as time goes on? Any incite would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I won't start a new thread, but our puppy, Zeus, is now 5 months old. We had his ears cropped around Thanksgiving and kept posting his ears faithfully for two months. We took everything off approximately two weeks ago and they stood perfectly straight, and I feel that his ears are standing pretty well still; somewhere around 11:00-11:30 and 12:30 - 1:00. My wife thinks that we should re-post them again for a few weeks, but I feel that it is not necessary if they stay the way they are now. This is our first Dobe and we just are not sure whether or not they will move much more since it has been two weeks without the post, or if they will continue to fall over as time goes on? Any incite would be appreciated.
i would post through teething, around 7 months of age. ears do wacky things during teething and you wouldn't want them to fall.

Reactions: SieYa

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Keep posting only let them stay down about a hour or less they re-post under the search at the top of the page you can find the information about posting has a video on how to do it you might check it out. Can your breeder help you > Or check for a breeder in your area might help you Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
posting

keep posting. out last boy didn't get cropped until about 15 wks. (almost too late according to the only vet in our area that would do the surgery) but she cut them short and we still had to keep posted for almost 6 months.
Our new man was done at 8 weeks. I change the posting and clean his ears every 3-4 days. They are standing great, but I'll keep it up for another 8-10 weeks just to make sure.
STAY WITH IT

·
Super Cooper
19 Posts
I like the tutorial of posting but have found cooper does much better with the cardboard tampons. Wrapping the tampons with foam tape that 3m makes it softer. You can dip the ends with a very very little bit of an antibiotic to keep the infection down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts